Ross species

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
Josh12345
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville

Ross species

#1 Post by Josh12345 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Hey guys just wondering what species there are besides barra worth targeting in the weirs of the ross river?

carnster
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: gold coast
Kayaks: Profisha and plastic

Re: Ross species

#2 Post by carnster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Aplins Wier salt side has jacks, queenfish etc as well as barra. Great fishing after floods when the water runs over the wall. So right now it should be firing. If you went down there tonight with the moon up you would probably smack a barra on a gold bomber. Donkey sooty grunter in the fresh there as well.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Josh12345 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm

sooty in the fresh? i was told they weren't in there :lek:

carnster
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: gold coast
Kayaks: Profisha and plastic

#4 Post by carnster » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:36 am

They were there 20 years ago, when I lived there I can't see why they wouldn't be still there.

fishing addict
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

#5 Post by fishing addict » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:55 pm

no sooties in the fresh. Loads of pest fish like tilapia, catfish and eels. Even giant goldfish looking things but otherwise barra are the only fish worth targeting in the fresh. On the money with golden bombers in the salt after or during the end of the floods. I used to put a hook through the nose of a large herring and tose it into the eddies like a lure around aplins wier while it was flooding for some very big barra (often round the meter mark).
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by Josh12345 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 pm

cheers the for reply's fellas
and yeah ive had a decent bit of luck infront of aplins over the years but these impoundments are proving to be a whole different ball game :lol:
going to be targeting sharks in winter

fishing addict
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by fishing addict » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:37 am

during winter I would try shiny lures like bombers, laser pros and metal slugs on the south side of west point or off the beach at toomulla (just north of Townsville before rollingstone pub). Some mackerel come in close when the weather is good and the tides are a bit higher. If you get a Wolf herring troll it as a livie behind a yack or a throw it out as a live bait from the rocks for a shot a a big sppanish. (at Toomulla this only works at high tide if you are land based.
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by Josh12345 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Cheers for the tips mate appreciate it and yeah was thinking of running the bait out with the kayak, fishing them from the beach(for shark) but will defiantly be keen on chasing some mackerel also

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#9 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 pm

I read that sooties where once stocked but the population does not appear to be self-sustaining and they are very rarely caught in the river. I have also read that there may be a population in the dam itself however.

Not a sport fish, but the weir has sleepy cod which are a fantastic eating fish. Other than that barra. Or tilapia if you can be bothered. I have also seen fly fisherman practicing on the archer fish and longtom in there. There are also a heap of different aquarium fish and cichlids that have been released and now breed in the weir,

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Josh12345 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 pm

oh really? awesome thats a first, wonder what the best way too target those would be, ill look into it.
live bait is lawed out in the fresh from what ive heard? or is that just cast netting

fishing addict
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by fishing addict » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 pm

You can live bait, cast netting is a big no no

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”