unexpected

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
Whisky
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth Duo, Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

unexpected

#1 Post by Whisky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:38 pm

finally modified the Halco to single hook.
20170610_111728.jpg
It said it run to 1m deep. On last Sat, departed from Pallarenda Boat Ramp just after dawn. After trolling for less than 1 or 2 k. The reel screamed (well before Virago.) There was a disappointment because I felt that it hooked the bottom. It appeared impossible as water depth was 4m all the way. Lucky that I listened to my daughter and paddled back to investigate and see whether we could save the lure. But this came up.
image3 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: unexpected

#2 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am

Yum yum - always got to be happy with a plate sized gold spot!

They usually hit hard and then go to sleep on the way in. Do you think he bricked you into some weed or something?

Was there anything at Virago? Have the bait schools turned up there yet?

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#3 Post by LODO » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:41 am

So, what's the idea behind a single hook, as opposed to the two seets of trebles?

Is it to reduce the risk of the snagging? Does it not in turn reduce the hook-up rate? Current evidence to be excepted of course :)

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:03 am

LODO wrote:So, what's the idea behind a single hook, as opposed to the two seets of trebles?
1. to reduce the risk of hook-stick injuries to angler when fish are thrashing (particularly important for kayakers).
2. Results in a stronger, more secure hook set.
3. Looks really bada## :lol:

Yeah, the hook up rate is probably a little lower, particularly for fish that just swipe at the lure (that often get stuck on the side of the mouth by a treble). But the single hooks set really well and you are probably less likely to drop a fish once hooked than on trebles.

Whisky
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Whisky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm

I think it took a dive to a hole. I managed to pull it out again, that means a very secured hook set. Of course I have marked that hole which is about 250m to the north of virago shoal :grin: Bait fishing for grunter there is on the agenda now.

Using single single mainly for safety. Kid, double treble lures and a kayak usually don't mix well. Sunglasses are mandatory for them (it is no big deal although painful to get impaled anywhere else)

There were not a lot of activities at Virago Shoal. Water was too clear. We saw plate size gold spots following the plastic all the way without taking (water crystal clear).

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Whisky wrote:Of course I have marked that hole which is about 250m to the north of virago shoal :grin: Bait fishing for grunter there is on the agenda now.

:wink: There are a few goods spots around Virago worth trying.
Virago.jpg
Whisky wrote:There were not a lot of activities at Virago Shoal. Water was too clear. We saw plate size gold spots following the plastic all the way without taking (water crystal clear).
Gold spots following the plastics in clear water? Might have to get out there myself and try the drop shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#7 Post by Leper » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:36 pm

I've lost more lures to cod than any other species lol! Even managed a 1.5m Queensland Grouper in the Hinchinbrook on Barra gear once.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 837#p69802
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Whisky
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by Whisky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:
Whisky wrote:Of course I have marked that hole which is about 250m to the north of virago shoal :grin: Bait fishing for grunter there is on the agenda now.

:wink: There are a few goods spots around Virago worth trying.
Whisky wrote:There were not a lot of activities at Virago Shoal. Water was too clear. We saw plate size gold spots following the plastic all the way without taking (water crystal clear).
Gold spots following the plastics in clear water? Might have to get out there myself and try the drop shot.
I found that gold spots are more likely to be at the edge of reef or shoal where the depth increase suddenly.

Also, I just realised that my Virago Shoal is actually Pallarenda Shoal :oops:

Thank you for the spots

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#9 Post by NorthSIKer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Leper wrote:I've lost more lures to cod than any other species lol! Even managed a 1.5m Queensland Grouper in the Hinchinbrook on Barra gear once.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 837#p69802
Amazing. Love those old time fishing photos.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#10 Post by NorthSIKer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Whisky wrote:Also, I just realised that my Virago Shoal is actually Pallarenda Shoal :oops:
Actually that is just my gumby naming - i suspect they are either end of the same system.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Josh12345 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Are those cod good eating? :grin:

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#12 Post by LODO » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Hell yeah!!!

My first trip on a charter ... we threw back good amount of Cod ... only for me to be asked by a local (after showing photos) ... "What did you do with the Cod?"

I copped a gobful when I told them we threw them back :)

If they look fat enough to provide a good feed ... I always keep them. yum yum.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#13 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah, they are great eating, but not the big ones. Similar to coral trout in some ways, not quite as good as quality but still really good.

Around a couple of kilos is perfect, but anything from just legal to maybe 5kg is worth considering.

I keep saying it but for nearly everything up here let the big ones go. They are generally poorer eating (tuna may be an exception) and are a risk for ciguatera. Also, the bigger fish are the important ones for the fishery - they are the breeders. Even for things like spaniards - some like to be heros with the 20kg+ fish but really anything over 10kg should probably go back.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by Josh12345 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Ohh Okay awesome ill have to give them a go
if anyone is after a quick feed slow rolling soft plastics along the rockwalls (preferably in a dark grey color and gar shape)
barra and cod seem to love it at the moment

I have been trying to target pelagics from the rock walls for the last few weeks with no success :roll:
some day :lol:

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”