logs with teeth?

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
Josh12345
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville

logs with teeth?

#1 Post by Josh12345 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Any recent sightings of crocs around pallarenda? keen to get into the salt for the first time and thinking of trying in front of the utr carpark at the end of pallarenda and possibly work my way out the virago
unless someone could recommend a better option for a first timer?
cheers
(in a 2.5m brown plastic kayak) :lol: CHOMP

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

Re: logs with teeth?

#2 Post by Josh12345 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Also does anyone know approx distance from the beach to virago? checked maps from the front of three mile (i wont be launching near) and is only 2km out?

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#3 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Not that I am aware of. This is about the least crocy time of year out front - but there can never be a complete guarantee in this part of the world.

However on pretty much any given day there will be dozens of paddlers in various kayaks and surf skis heading out between The Strand and Pallarenda plus kite surfers out from Robertson Part etc, etc. So given no attacks to date (there certainly have been sightings) chances would seem low of an incident.

Pallarenda is a great spot to launch. Just try to get back before the afternoon sea breeze kicks (usually about 10am to 11am) until you are a bit more comfortable with a little swell. Yes, the start of Virago is just over 2km from the boat ramp. There are also plenty of fish caught the other way near the old jetty/ corner/ start of the rocks. I often see quite a bit of activity on the sounder in close at Pallarenda very early in the morning but I have never yet stayed in close to fish it in the morning. Have spent the occasional half hour on the way home and get grunter, blue salmon, small trevally sometimes in the afternoon in close (less then a km from the boat ramp either way).

Only better launch for a beginning paddler might be at the beach at the far southern end of The Strand (if you can get your kayak there with a trolley or something). Not as good fishing as Pallarenda but it is very well protected from the south east winds so you get a glassy launch and landing in almost any conditions.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Josh12345 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 am

Hey mate appreciate the reply
i might give the area you recommended a go first, are there busier days? with more people out
prefer to have someone around for the first time haha im guessing the weekends would be the go?

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#5 Post by Whisky » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 am

I think I go to Virago most frequently here. I think I will go there again two weeks later. Not sure you have GPS or not. My way of going there without a GPS is to start from the Pallarenda boat ramp and head towards the BHP facilities at the port for 2 k. By the time you are directly offshore (I mean perpendicular to the shoreline) from the 3 mile creek toilet, you can see a red buoy and that is virago shoal. A sounder would be useful in finding reef edge which is more productive.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by Josh12345 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:46 am

cheers mate and yeah will defiantly look into a fishfinder& gps
as for crocs
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ne ... c5484e74a2
"three sitting off pallarenda" no good haha hopefully was just the time of year? :lol:

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”