Line&leader setups

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
Josh12345
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville

Line&leader setups

#1 Post by Josh12345 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 am

Hey guys out of curiosity what leader does everyone run normally?
i have always used varying mono for leader 10lb, 25...50 etc but have recently been told that flurocarbon may increase my hookup rate
dramatically for trolling, especially for sweet water barra and certain salt water species?
And also does anyone run leader weights lighter than there braid weight?

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Re: Line&leader setups

#2 Post by Leper » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 am

Fluorocarbon has a higher abrasion resistance than mono and also has a refractive index closer to that of water so it is almost invisible. This is probably why you have heard it should improve your hook up rate. It's only drawback is it's density which makes it sink. This is great for some lures but terrible for surface lures as it can affect their action by changing the direction of your retrieve when the leader sinks and tries to pull the lure beneath the water. This is where mono is useful as it floats and allows surface lures to be retrieved perfectly. The disadvantage of mono though is it's abrasion resistance which is considerably less and you tend to have to go up a few breaking strains to get the equivalent of FC. I use 10lb FC and was using 16lb Mono for surface but now I just use shorter lengths of FC when surface fishing as this overcomes the sinking leader issue. This is all for bass but I would do the same in Townsville if I still lived there. Just upping the leader class. My current Barra setup is 30lb braid main to 60lb FC leader.

As for a lower leader than your main, it really defeats the purpose of using a leader in most cases. The only times I have heard of it being done is when targeting species like bream that can sometimes shy away from heavier leaders (especially in really clear water) and going really light can make a difference. Many anglers though don't run braid in those circumstances but opt for running straight FC without a leader but we are talking 2-6lb.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#3 Post by Ads22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am

I will use a lighter braid if I don't have the appropriate reel/ line combo on me but want to prospect for another species. Eg. A light barra reel with 20lb braid but think there might be bream around and don't want to spook them with 30lb leader. On the weekend I had 10lb braid and dropped to 8lb leader and believe I was getting more hits. This may have coincided with finding a patch of feeding fish though. But in clear shallow water, lighter seems to help.

I find tying an FG from heavy braid to light leader a bit tricky as the leader wants to bend in the wraps of braid. But other knots often don't pass through the eyes of the lighter rods. Eg. Fishing for Jacks in heavy structure then stepping down to lighter for bream.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#4 Post by LODO » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:28 pm

On the kayak, I no longer go into the estuaries. I used to cruise around in Ross River and Ross Creek a fair bit.

My love for Mangrove Jacks is easily superceded by my fear of crocs!!! I was fishing land based in Ross River and came across a huge croc slide ... the claw marks were about 1 and 1/2 hands wide. I decided at that point, I'd no longer go that way on a kayak.

Many people do, but I won't take that risk.

I spend all my time out in the ocean now. More specifically off pallarenda. With a young family, I don't get long hours of freedom ... so I'll paddle out and troll around Virago, Middle Reef, Cockle Bay and around the point of Pallarenda as well.

I don't have a sounder, so I don't generally stop for dropping jigs or flicking lures ... though on the occasion when I have anchored up, I've flicked lures around.

I generally have 20lb braid, 30-40lb leader purely for it's abrasion resistance in the bommies.

As a "no-frills" fisher ... it works consistently well for me and my expectations ... though many trips are donuts ... glean from that what you will.

However, I don't get many bust-offs when I do hook up ... from a 15kg tuskie to 5kg trevally etc ... all have been well tested.

That's the beauty of kayaks, you don't need huge line strengths because your kayak doesn't provide that much resistance on the water.

Probably not much help though, just my 2 bobs.

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#5 Post by Whisky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 pm

For me
main line: 12 lb mono on baitcaster or 15-30lb braid on spinning reel
Leader: 20lb - 40lb mono (or fluorocarbon) leader of 3m long

Braid is great except it is not as safe as mono, easy to cut through skin, impossible to untangle.

Duds1966
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by Duds1966 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:43 pm

I have no fine tuning I use mono and trace or mono and 40-80 leader that's about it, I find I catch a lot using a small hook and small light sinker I just let it drift down.

Josh12345
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Josh12345 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 pm

cheers guys went and picked up some FC today

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”