17/9 Palleranda

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM

17/9 Palleranda

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 pm

A quick early morning fish with NorthSIKer Junior this morning.

Lots of activity on the sounder with the early morning high and we caught a procession of small tea-leaf trevally, yellowtail scad and a range of other odds and ends. Finishing with NorthSIKer junior getting smoked by something that eventually rubbed through the leader (possibly a salmon).

Spent most of the time attending to Junior's fishing and had to tow him back with the wind and swell picking up but good to see so much activity about just in close.
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: 17/9 Palleranda

Postby Whisky » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 pm

I used to undo hooks tie knots etc for Wing Jnr. I end up teaching him to tie one knot for everything and also spent some time getting him using lip gripper and landing net. They learn quickly. Maybe at this stage avoid using braid as it cuts through wet skin easily. Just remember to wear some eye protection. Most damages done by hooks and spines are although painful but recoverable. When my son started kayak fishing, I let him use barbless hooks for a couple of months first. Most of the fish were lost but who cares. A blunt tip knife may be helpful so that he can decide when to cut the line. And of course, many equipment will be inevitably lost. Many good times to come for sure.
Whisky
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Re: 17/9 Palleranda

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks Whisky. Some good tips.

I am still doing most for NorthSIKer junior on the water but am gradually getting him to do more of the tasks when fishing from land.

Looking forward to a few years away when he can bait my hooks :)
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Return to Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub