Lorne Reef Today

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Lorne Reef Today

#1 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Had the opportunity to get out this morning on a last minute arrangement.

Went for a quick burn out to Lorne Reef (needed to be back to get the kids). On the water at 4:30am - I'm still relatively new to this night paddling but coming to like it.

Started to hit the shoals a couple kms short of Lorne Reef just as the first light appeared. Soon after a big splash and my fly on the short rod goes off. I pulled in the big rod (with a Halco way back) and as it gets near to the boat it goes off as well.

Now I've (occasionally) had a double hookup before, but never two big fish, and never in the almost dark.

So the fight was a fair mongrel trying to keep lines from crossing over each other (they did at times) and wrapping me up. Somehow, I managed to get the big rod in with the little rod still in the holder and on the end a reasonable mac tuna. It was fairly buggered by then so I successfully swam it over and under the line from the little rod (holding that line low with my hand) and untangled it. The other line was fairly straightforward after that and turned out the bigger fish.

They do give it their all the mac tuna, probably harder fighting than the longtails pound for pound. One of my favourite captures of all time was a fat mac tuna on light (12lb IGFA rated flurocarbon leader) gear (trolled fly of cause). Yeah, i know, stinking mac tuna but if just ran and ran and ran and it felt good to eventually finesse it to the boat without a failure.

No video or photos of this unfortunately as was too dark.

The next 30 minutes or so was a hot bite, but unfortunately a good number of sharks. Hooked another tuna (not sure what type but probably mac again) and it somehow threw the hook late in the fight. Started to troll again and within 50m was hit hard. Unfortunately turned out to be a solid four foot shark that kept my lure. Retied and started trolling again - this time I didn't even get past freespooling some line out and it was hit really hard (nearly bounced the rod out of the rod holder) and somehow broke the line in the hit despite the slack line.

So then trolled just the fly and managed - another little shark - that thankfully threw the fly without me needing to unhook it.

I lost a bit of time with the hits and retying etc. so headed back after a quick pass over Lorne (didn't seem to be much on the sounder). Going back was fairly quiet but had a sudden hit that snapped the wire traced (only had that happen once before and it was lighter wire?). Changed to yet another lure and after another km or so was on... to another shark. It also swam off with my lure.

So four lures down for the morning :?: and my run of sharks on anything continues. Can't even avoid them trolling a fly.

Mac Tuna went 3.7kg and 4.5kg. Have taken off the loins and brining them to make Italian oil cooked tuna. Tastes like canned tuna but much better (and is a good use of mac tuna). Tried making a little poke with the mac tuna - better than I expected but certainly not as nice as longtail tuna.

Many of our good fishing grounds in NQ are at least an hour or two paddling from launch. The night paddling to get to them on the sunup bite is something I need to do more often.
Mac Tuna. Small.jpg
Shark.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Re: Lorne Reef Today

#2 Post by GlassedOff » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Well done, any chance of posting up the process for your italian oil cooked tuna? There's a couple of guys on the sunny coast that seem to love eating mac tuna and would prob appreciate a different way of preparing it

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#3 Post by LODO » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:49 am

Sounds like a spectacular trip!!

I'd be keen to experience something like this, in company of course ... no way I'd have the brass ones to do it on my own!!

But, I am most definitely keen!

What do you use for lighting and visibility on the water at that time of the morning?

Ant01
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Ant01 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm

Well done on a double hookup and double land. :lol: :cool:

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm

GlassedOff wrote:Well done, any chance of posting up the process for your italian oil cooked tuna? There's a couple of guys on the sunny coast that seem to love eating mac tuna and would prob appreciate a different way of preparing it
Your wish is my command :grin:

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51714

Really easy to do.

I read the Hawaiians get into mac tuna for poke so I am going to have to experiment more with that dish for them as well. The quick (and basic) poke I made yesterday was pretty good, but not as good as the longtail.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 pm

LODO wrote:I'd be keen to experience something like this, in company of course ... no way I'd have the brass ones to do it on my own!!

But, I am most definitely keen!

What do you use for lighting and visibility on the water at that time of the morning?
Yeah, I found it a bit disconcerting first few times (still not 100% used to it) but it is amazing out there at night.

I have a kayalite that goes onto the stern by clipping to a deck line and a good head torch (but it only goes on if doing something or to signal a boat). Everything I read suggested red/green navigation lights are a hazard on kayaks (as can be confusing to other boaters) and an all round white light is fine for low speed boats like a kayak.

One benefit is that there are very few stink boats on the water before sunup.

For navigation I paddle by moonlight and gps - no torch as doesn't show much anyway (and kills the night vision). Most amazing time was a moonless night with the stars really bright and getting the full bowl of them on the ocean (And about 5 shooting stars in about 30 mins).

I'm planning to try a night run to West point to fish and troll it before/during sun up whilst mackerel season is still on. I'll try to remember to post up before (if not a last minute plan). Be warned, that may be a 1am to 3am start from the boat ramp :wink:

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#7 Post by LODO » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 am

I would absolutely be keen on that! Especially in company, as going solo would scare the berley out of me!!!

I had better get in to looking at any lures and setups that may be able to deal with a mack then eh. I was recently gifted a whole heap of lures from a mate who has relocated to Perth ... he took most of his stuff, but left behind a stack of lures for me. Some of them look Mack worthy because he was always into chasing the much bigger fish.

It sounds like it would be a real adventure, definitely keen.

Cheers.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#8 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 pm

LODO wrote:I had better get in to looking at any lures and setups that may be able to deal with a mack then eh. I was recently gifted a whole heap of lures from a mate who has relocated to Perth ... he took most of his stuff, but left behind a stack of lures for me. Some of them look Mack worthy because he was always into chasing the much bigger fish.
I don't know if you need anything that special to chase the macs. To be fair, a spaniard around West Point is still a lucky capture (though plenty have been lucky over the years). More likely to tangle with doggies and greys.

Certainly change out the hooks to singles though on any hardbodies - especially for use in the dark when it is even harder to track the face of a thrashing fish. I am liking the Mustad Kaiju at the moment - good price, stay sharp in the salt and available locally at the big snake.

I'm toying with heading out early Saturday morning with the forecast looking so brilliant it is hard to resist. But may be a bit early (preparation wise) for you?

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”