21 day fishing ban Merimbula Lake

For Information on how to join please contact member ua5qb via PM

21 day fishing ban Merimbula Lake

Postby l2andom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:59 am

Just a heads up if anyone plans fishing down this way you might have to fish Pambula, Bega River, or one of the other estuaries/lakes if that's what you want to fish. Think it started 2 days ago due to a sewerage leak near Target and they were worried it was going to get into the lake and as a precaution they implemented a 21day fishing ban for the lake itself. All the other surrounding areas are okay still.
l2andom
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Far South NSW
Kayaks: Seagrass Outback, Yellow AI, Red Thresher140

Re: 21 day fishing ban Merimbula Lake

Postby XDCammer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up I2.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Postby Steve R » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:33 am

Catch & release is OK:

FISHING REPORT Week Commencing 23 October 2017
UPDATE: The Merimbula Top Lake has been restricted to catch and release only due to Sewerage leak earlier this week.

http://tackleworldmerimbula.com.au/fishing-report/
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby l2andom » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Steve R wrote:Catch & release is OK:

FISHING REPORT Week Commencing 23 October 2017
UPDATE: The Merimbula Top Lake has been restricted to catch and release only due to Sewerage leak earlier this week.

http://tackleworldmerimbula.com.au/fishing-report/

Yea, I've been emailing and asking a few different city and council individuals to clarify as well as asking the tackle guys about C&R. Looks like they got around to clarifying it :grin: .
l2andom
KFDU Angler

Postby Steve R » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Merimbula News cited NSW Food AuthoritY in this article: http://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/story/5010215/sewer-leak-in-merimbula/?cs=1855
The NSW Food Authority has issued a 21-day fishing closure for Merimbula Lake after a sewer leak was detected in Merimbula on Monday, October 23.

When I looked, there was nothing on NSW Food Authority website, which must put a little doubt over the accuracy of the article but, better safe than sorry.

A quote from another article indicates the safety concern is badly managed. http://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/story/5018115/lake-safe-for-swimming/?cs=5773

Despite the fishing closure, Merimbula News Weekly has spotted recreational fishers in Merimbula Lake during the fishing closure, while signs have not been erected at major boat ramps informing fishers of the ban.

Merimbula News prefers to report a lack of signs than contact someone in a position to erect signs :roll:

Presumably, Merimbula News will print updates about fish being cleared as safe to eat as they come to hand.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau
Steve R
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Postby l2andom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Yea I thought there was still a ban until you posted the tackleworld thing. I started asking around when they lifted the ban on swimming and other recreational activities if C&R was okay but didn't get any responses til I read what you linked from TW. According to the safety tests though I don't see why there is still a fishing ban. The test numbers are either 0 or below 200 (200 is the safe mark). No matter though, I went fishing at the Bega river and the bite is pretty hot there at the moment :lol:
l2andom
KFDU Angler

Return to Far South NSW Coast