For Information on how to join please contact member ua5qb via PM
brentus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Blue Mountains, Sydney
Kayaks: Cobra Marauder

Merimbula Lake mid to late Feb

#1 Post by brentus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:33 pm

G'day all.
I'm heading down south with the wife for a couple of weeks and would like some feedback about where to stay, what to fish for and any other ideas the locals may have.
We are thinking about staying at Merimbula Lake caravan park. It's on the water so I can walk the kayak to the water. That way I can fish in the morning and paddle around with the boss in the afternoon.
The chance to drop some crab traps would be good also but I'm not sure if this is allowed in Merimbula Lake.
I'd like to get offshore at some point also if anyone is interested in a trip out.
If anyone has any other ideas on anywhere else that's nice and fishes well please let me know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since neither of us have really spent much time on the south coast.
I'm assuming the lake is bream and flatty rich and I've read that there are Mulloway and trevally in there also. Anything else this time of year?

Cheers
Just one more cast.

Yak pb's

Flathead - 60cm
Yellow tail Kingfish - 70cm
Bass - 38cm
Mulloway - 60cm
The Hit List
Snapper - GT - Mahi Mahi - Barra - Yellow Belly - Spanish - Marlin - all the others

slydersneak
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: act/farsouth coast of nsw
Kayaks: terraphin xp 11 and a cheap one fore the kids

Re: Merimbula Lake mid to late Feb

#2 Post by slydersneak » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:49 pm

the lake is good for big lizards ,i have not fished it for a couple of years but nippers and poddies where always good in the top lake section
you can toss poppers for whiting on the sand flats in the lower lake .you never know you might get a flatty to take it.

there are plenty of oyster leases so you standard bream approach can land alort of legal bream, trevally, and weed whiting..

the top lake also has tailor a salmon that used to cruise a bommie in the middle of the lake.that bommie has supplied a few legal snapper to me over the years but most are just cockies.
check to see what the moon phase is doing as the lake is known for it's prawns and the multiple selection of prawn lure we have will make it easier
The bay is very fishable for yaks in a northerly as Long point ,protects a gr8 swath of water. depending on what you want to catch, there are snapper,morwong, gummy shark, flathead,kingfish and the occasional scud yellowfin tuna, But please be careful as the bar is on that side and it doesn't take much to turn nasty.

your picking a good time to hit it as the tourist are gone and the fish wont be as gun shy.
Most of the lakes and rivers from Narooma down will fish well at that time of year but My favourite is wapengo lake
hope this helped
new yaks PBs: murray cod 470mm, Flathead:550 mm,bream:370 mm, flounder:280 mm.Tarwine :295 mm

Rory222
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Riverina, NE Vic & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Outback (Dune), Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

#3 Post by Rory222 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Hey Brentus

I have just come back from a short trip to Merimbula. I found it pretty quiet on the flathead front (not that that means much given I'm an amateur at chasing them :roll: ) but I did ok on the breambos with surface lures around the leases in the top lake. Managed 5 over 2 days all 36cm plus with biggest going 41cm and lost a few more. I'm not a Merimbula regular so can't help too much but thats where I had a bit of luck.

All the best. Hope you nail some.

Cheers
Rory222
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 68cm
Trout Cod - 58cm
Yellowbelly - 53cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 43cm
Whiting - 40cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 34cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm

brentus
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by brentus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for info slydersneak.
We got here last night and had a couple of hours this afternoon. No interest but was just a reccy really.
I might head to the channel tomorrow to try the sand flats for some flatties and whiting.
The Bay sounds good but i'm not keen on doing that solo and I don't know if the minister would be keen to join me since she doesn't fish.
I'll have to get out my prawn plastics.
Lots of useful information there and you're right about the holidays. It's always nice to be away when they're not on.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Just one more cast.

Yak pb's

Flathead - 60cm
Bass - 38cm
Mulloway - 60cm
The Hit List
Snapper - GT - Mahi Mahi - Barra - Yellow Belly - Spanish - Marlin - all the others

brentus
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by brentus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 pm

That's some nice sized bream Rory222.
Oysters are always good for bream bit you'd know that fishing Wallace Lake regularly.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better fish.

Cheers
Just one more cast.

Yak pb's

Flathead - 60cm
Bass - 38cm
Mulloway - 60cm
The Hit List

slydersneak
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by slydersneak » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:08 pm

how did you go
new yaks PBs: murray cod 470mm, Flathead:550 mm,bream:370 mm, flounder:280 mm.Tarwine :295 mm

brentus
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by brentus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Got into a heap of bream and flatties with the largest being 53 and bream 33. Pb bream for me. They were all around the bridge and lower in the channel. I had some fun with a bunch of tailor on the surface in the top Lake. The water was crystal clear and I managed to watch the flatty come up off the bottom and take my plastic. Never managed to actually see it before.
I would like to have fished a little more but the wind was a bit of a killer in the afternoon.
Today we moved on to the national parks campsite on wallagoot Lake. I hear that the fishing is very ordinary here so I might just throw a line in the surf while the wife paddles the lake. The guy at tackleworld said there are some good size tailor about and I should try smoking them. Anyone have any thoughts on them I wonder.
Thanks again for the tips and of anyone is heading down this way I suggest the campsite at the top of the lake. Friendly people. Lots of space. Leave the kayaks by the water (I'm sure they would have been safe but I still bike locked mine to the fence).
I didn't manage any photos of fish but I got a good one of the wife with the local seal behind her.
We'll move on again in a couple of more days and try further north. I'll have to check out the camping around the other Lake that was suggested.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Just one more cast.

Yak pb's

Flathead - 60cm
Bass - 38cm
Mulloway - 60cm
The Hit List

slydersneak
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by slydersneak » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 pm

tailor gutted and gilled and then backed in the coals is gr8

Return to “Far South NSW Coast”