Where to fish south durras

For Information on how to join please contact member ua5qb via PM
Ross4616
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: 3.7 m pro angler

Where to fish south durras

#1 Post by Ross4616 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi I am getting in early. I am heading down to Murramarang Resort in October, where can I get a feed.

Ross
Last edited by Ross4616 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game fishing is going fishing on your wife's birthday.

Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

Re: Where to fish south duras

#2 Post by Missin Fishin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:37 pm

South durass can be tricky and does not often fish 'well' in my experience. It seems to get fished fairly heavily and there is often a bit of traffic about which can shut things down. Less so in oct though

Right off the beach when conditions are safe you can snag sand flathead and squire.

The estuary itself I a bit all over, and kind of depends on the conditions when you fish. I've found the main channel quite unproductive. The outlet to the ocean (right of the boat ramp) can hold flathead at times and usually has bream of varying size.

Further up the estuary the flats sometimes hold flathead and whiting. Even further in are some more spots if you go hunting for the usual suspects, but that's as far as I'll go online.

Ross4616
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Ross4616 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks for the heads up Missin fishin.
Ross

dkay
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Coast, lakes around CBR and anywhere else there is water
Kayaks: Hobie outback

#4 Post by dkay » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 pm

I usually launch at the boat ramp near the caravan park and head out towards Wasp, anywhere between Wasp and either of the beaches off the caravan park will usually get you a few flathead. Head north up towards the river entrance off the main beach and again flathead. There are a number of small reefs doted between the beaches and the island, trial and error really, but just keep an eye on the sounder, I have a few little spots GPS marked that I have found on different trips. I agree that the channel between Wasp and the heads hasn't really produced anything except a few sergeant bakers and some pike over the times. the north side of Wasp as a lot of reef and does produce some reddies and reef fish, there is also the chance of a kingy cruising around the island. Watch the swell if you venture out on the east side of wasp, good on a calm day but can be pretty rugged with a south or southeast swell. watch the wind usually comes from the NE in the summer but this time of year will come from the s/ s/e, can make the paddle back tough sometimes. A great place to fish, always enjoy it whether I catch fish or not. If the wind or the swell does come up head up the river there are (or there were) some big lizards up in the back water, just watch the no fish zones. Hope you do well.
Cheers
Dick

The trouble with retirement is you never get a day off ! Fishing is not a sport.....its a way of life !

mjbondie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra
Kayaks: PA12 (2014)

#5 Post by mjbondie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Ross4616 wrote:Hi I am getting in early. I am heading down to Murramarang Resort in October, where can I get a feed.

Ross
Hi Ross, I went to South Duras on Sunday for the morning. Agree with the previous posts, heaps of Sgt Bakers and other species. We ended up going to an old faithful GPS mark that produced heaps of flatties. I'm only new to the kayak fishing but have tried a couple spots on the south coast but yet to find a spot to get some reddies. Cheers Mitch

Ross4616
KFDU Angler

Re: Where to fish south durras

#6 Post by Ross4616 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:43 am

Well the time has come to finally get to Murramarang resort next week, hopefully I can get a feed . If any of you south Coast yakers are around come and say hi , I will be there from Sunday to Sunday . I may even be able to post a report .

Cheers Ross

Return to “Far South NSW Coast”