Next trip

For Information on how to join please contact member ua5qb via PM
fonga
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra and south coast,Always looking for new spots.
Kayaks: Bloody awesome AI.

Re: Next trip

#16 Post by fonga » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:21 pm

how was day one boys.WE need updates with photos.

ua5qb
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Monaro & Far Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: OutBack (RIP), Hobie AI (not red or yellow)

#17 Post by ua5qb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:55 pm

No Fish. But lots of schools in behind the lee of Wasp island showed up on the sonar. I tried trolling through to where some birds were circling, chased to squid lookalike still no go. Still working out the new sonar Garmin76sv, big transducer! Had to get a fitting kit from Berlley Pro, very quick to deal with. I tried the water proof connectors from RTM for power, but finally settled on a screw together fitting I had in my toolbox. There doesn't seem to be a very wide range of water proof fitting on the market for us to buy. Was up till 2400hrs soldering and sealing the wires to ensure I would have a sonar/GPS. I was late getting on the wate 1200hrs, had to return a log splitter before I could leave home.

There was a stiff breeze and swell when I arrived, together they made for a great first run of the new AI. It was strong enough to actually get wet. Water was quite warm, breeze was colder even the dry.

The council needs to give the ramps at Sth Durass a power wash, green slippery slime. Took a fall bring the AI up to the trailer.

Ready for the next trip already, we are down Batemans Bay over the christmas/New Years break.

A-Newbie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#18 Post by A-Newbie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:50 pm

I saw you out there ua5qb, i had just landed when i saw you heading out. I was tempted to go back in too hehehe
I got out about 830, it was overcast and a bit windy but nothing to crazy.
Launched and headed over towards the island, dropping a pilly here and there. Nothing big going for it, just a few cods and sgt bakers.
Then i went a bit further around the north side of the island and then into a few small snapper on squid.
One was to size so i kept him, not realizing my next one would be my pb!
He hit hard and i wasnt ready, took off and then i thought i was bricked. Slowly pulled up harder and harder then off he went again!
I thought he was going to break my rod at one stage man these guys go hard, i cant wait to get onto one of those big bulls!
Not a long fight but a very satisfying one.
Cooked him up for dinner with a nice chilli recipe :grin:
I played around for a bit with a few bites here and there then a wrasse but then thought i may as well head back in
I trolled my favourite pink halco on the way back in an twice it got smashed! Reel was screaming then when id get it into my hands id just feel a pop, gutted. I thought man im going to do it again for a moment there!
But hey im happy, it will tide me over till the holidays :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#19 Post by XDCammer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:01 am

I spent the day changing the bearings on my trailer after limping home from Quangers at 0620. Lucky I wasn't at Braidwood as I left my spares at home.
I hate bearing changes.
Nice snapper Matty, well done.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

ua5qb
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Monaro & Far Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: OutBack (RIP), Hobie AI (not red or yellow)

#20 Post by ua5qb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Oh Dear, why do people keep showing me their snaps of Snappers? I contemplated going out to the East of the island but the weather was a bit heavy for my first foray in the new AI. Will definitely bring it down when we head down over the break period, just have to negotiate the bridge and round about traffic to get to Durass.

Or has anyone sailed an AI from BB to Durass? Probably take a few hours and have to pull in any lines as the marine parks are traversed.

A-Newbie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#21 Post by A-Newbie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks Bob i was very happy!
Well at least you werent too far away, it could have been a lot worse. Now its fixed you got a great summer ahead :grin:

Sorry Wayne but im normally on the same side as you seeing all the catches, its very new to me being the catcher!

Yeah the marine parks at north head and the toll gates wpuld make it a bit tricky, but i reckon you could plan it fairly well. Draw a map of what you are trying to do then if they pull you up at least you are showing an attempt to do it right?

Return to “Far South NSW Coast”