2017 Cod Classic

An annual event showcasing the mighty Murray Cod

Re: 2017 Cod Classic

Postby arpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:52 am

Such a shame, Fletch - with people being there from everywhere!! When I attended the first 'Yakfisher' one MANY years ago now - it was so stinking hot I nearly passed out from heatstroke & dehydration just from setting up camp (and I am in a campervan!)

What with the tornado a couple of years back & I think even last year's weather was a bit dodgy ..... it is just plain bad luck! :cry:

I'll get back there one year ..... just don't know when!!

Good on you for 'giving it a go' - you are braver than me!! It is SO easy to tip out there when you hit a submerged tree, let alone the swell as well!! :roll:

cheerio
Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Fletch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Yeah Roberta the weather is never the same down there at this time of the year. As you mentioned I have seen it 40 degrees and the following year close to 4 degrees.
All the same the event is very well run, The guys meet from all over the place and great company. Fishing on this trip is a bonus... and the chance of a metre + cod is very real on this lake. I will back again next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 34.5cm, Bonito 44cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty". Sir Winston Churchill, (1874-1965)
Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

Postby arpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Starlo reckoned they should have moored the boats with the front pointing 'out' .... but then the waves would have hit the timber framing & bounced into the rear anyway? What do you reckon?

Glad you got one cod, anyway!! You may see me down there next year! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Ads22 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks for sharing those photos Fletch. A fairly stark contrast between Thursday evening and the events that unfolded! Being Victorian myself, it doesn't surprise me at all, though.

It looks like a great event, and one that I may have to put on my to do list. I know I have some long service leave coming up, perhaps I should organise some time off for next year and bring a surf capable kayak! Might have to find out what a cod looks like first, though!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Postby Fletch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Roberta, starlo is right to some extent. That is the way to more off a beach for example. The heavy rain and the wind waves were their down fall i believe. One owner checked the boat at 4am and decided to wait until daylight to empty the boat as it was sitting low. Daylight was when we took the photos. Too late.
Ads, mate the first time I targeted Cod was at the classic in 2012. Took out the kayak section in 2013. I suggest going for it. :lek:
Fletch
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 34.5cm, Bonito 44cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty". Sir Winston Churchill, (1874-1965)
Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

Postby Ads22 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Fletch wrote:Roberta, starlo is right to some extent. That is the way to more off a beach for example. The heavy rain and the wind waves were their down fall i believe. One owner checked the boat at 4am and decided to wait until daylight to empty the boat as it was sitting low. Daylight was when we took the photos. Too late.
Ads, mate the first time I targeted Cod was at the classic in 2012. Took out the kayak section in 2013. I suggest going for it. :lek:
Fletch

Sounds awesome Fletch! But, there is so much cool looking cod water that would be fun exploring!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 106cm/11.5kg; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 45cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Previous

Return to Annual Cod Classic - Lake Mulwala