Grand Final Report - St Georges Basin 10-11th October

Basin Lure and Fly Anglers are holding the Southern Bream Series again in 2015
Yaktricity
2014 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Quest 11 and Australis Bass

Grand Final Report - St Georges Basin 10-11th October

#1 Post by Yaktricity » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 pm

The 2014 BLF SBS GF (15 Kayakers/40 Boats) was held over the weekend, I had fished 5 of the 7 rounds and had managed to qualify for the GF by finishing 12th, with the top 15 after the 7 rounds being invited to the GF.

I didn't do a great job of photographing the comp over the year, so most of the pics through this post will be a random selection from all of the rounds.
Yakkers.JPG
RD1 Keepers.JPG
This was my first foray into the world of competition Bream fishing, and I had a blast and learnt a lot. I am definitely a better bream fisho now than I was back in February. The beauty of the SBS to me was that it is hosted by a local fishing club (Basin Lure and Fly) with 2 of the 7 rounds held on my local as well as the Grand Final. I fished the Shoalhaven River, Clyde River, Mallacoota plus the 2 basin rounds giving the 2 Sydney rounds a miss due to a variety of reasons, planning to do them next year for sure though.
Clyde.JPG
Mallacoota.JPG
What fishing the comp did for me was highlight all the things I didn't do well - racks, strong tidal rivers etc and made me experiment more with various techniques. The only round I donuted in was the Clyde - it was a tough round with the system having over 300mm of rain in the week previous and the day of the event was held with a mild southerly blowing through - it also coincided with a low tide which meant it was virtually impossible to get into the oyster leases and I really struggled. The rest of the rounds I at least caught a couple of fish which is really all you need to post a score towards the GF invite, naturally I had my best results at the basin with a 4th in round 1 back in February.
Mallacoota - View from Tent.JPG
SGB August.JPG
Now for the GF, firstly I was stoked in just making it and went into the 2 day event with no expectations beyond hoping for a full bag each day.

Day one 0700-1345.
GF Day 1.JPG
Conditions were great, warm, almost a little too warm as the breeze didn't kick in til nearly lunch time, my plan was to fish around the 3M mark, and I quickly worked out that the Crackjack 48DR was the lure getting the most attention - I dropped 2 fish before 0800, then netted my first keeper of around 28CM at about 0830 and followed that up with a thumping fish of around 40 cm at about 0900. Over the next 3 hours I managed another 2 keepers both in the high 20's. Competition rules are no more than 4 fish in the livewell at once, so I was pretty happy with my day so far. During the last hour or so with the breeze up I moved into the shallows and managed another 2 fish both in the low 30's - upgrades! I had managed 6 legal fish for the day (need to get some scales - trying to work out which fish to discard in a Hobie live well whilst out on the water is a little harder than I thought) :lol:

After the weigh in I found myself in first place after day 1 - to say I was suprised was an understatement :lek:
SBS GF Day 1.png
GF Day 1 Livewell.JPG
Day two 0700-1345.
GF Day 2.JPG
Another great day was forecast with a little more wind expected, so it was looking good for another fun days fishing.
I started well with 3 legal fish in the livewell by 0830 - none were over 30 but I had achieved my GF aim of bagging out each day so I was happy.
Around 0930 the crackjack got absolutely smacked on the pause and after a good fight with some screaming runs I put a solid bream in the low 40's into the live well - very pleased with myself :lol:
As the day wore on the bream kept coming at a steady pace, all up I managed 9 legals for the day and headed for the weigh in with a low 40's and 2 low 30's in the bag.

I met up with Andrew Death who had only been behind me by the barest of margins on day ones results and was blown away by his bag, he had pulled a 47cm to the tip bream out of the deeper water on a blade and had another cracking fish in the high 30's to low 40's to go with it, plus a just legal. I knew he had blown me away with that bag (the thumper took out the big bream award and weighed a hefty 1.74KG) Andrew deservedly took out first place with a bag of 1.74kg day one and 2.99kg on day 2.

I finished second, and was absolutely stoked to do so, I went into the GF just happy to have made it and to finish in the placings was just awesome.
SBS GF Final Results Top 5.png
I had bettered my day one result of 1.75kg with a bag of over 2 kg's and had managed a fish over a kg on each day.

I picked up a cheque for $1100 which more than paid for all of my entry fees over the series and also paid for my new elite 5 chirp which I had fitted to the yak last week for the GF.

All up it was a great experience and one I am already looking forward to continuing next year.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's
Bream 43cm Flathead 91cm Snapper 68cm Tailor 49cm Whiting 39cm Luderick 36cm EP 37cm FL Bass 53cm FL

"There is only one reason in the world to go fishing: to enjoy yourself. Anything that detracts from enjoying yourself is to be avoided."

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Grand Final Report - St Georges Basin 10-11th October

#2 Post by arpie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:01 pm

WOOHOO!! GO SHANE!! Go the CRACKJACKS! :wink:

Congratulations on your 1st placing Day 1 and 2nd placing Day 2 Overall - What a fantastic result over 2 days - I am SO happy that the Crackjacks did the job for you - I bet the smile is still on your dial .......

Bet you get into the bream comps next time they are in your area, eh??

Well done, Champ! :gu:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Colin98
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Outback 2017, Hobie Revo 13 2015

#3 Post by Colin98 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:10 pm

That's a cracking effort mate! Well done!
===================================================================================
Yak PB's: -- Bream 45cm -- Estuary Perch 37cm -- Flathead 86cm -- Jewfish 93cm -- Salmon 55cm -- Trevally 40cm -- Whiting 41cm -- Bass 33cm - - Silver Perch 35cm - - Yellow Belly 35cm - - Murray Cod 52cm -- Kingfish 60cm
===================================================================================

rosco
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: illawarra
Kayaks: hobie outback 2011 pa 14 2013

#4 Post by rosco » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:18 am

Well done Shane on 2nd place mate :?: good prize money as well as doing what you :love: :cool:
ROSC0 (go the rabbitohs))
....the older you get the better you use to be
Yaks are for paddling; until you learn to pedal
HOBIE OUTBACK 11
Hobie PA14 THE BEAST
mob 0476 607 770

Tiny Torpedo
2015 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#5 Post by Tiny Torpedo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 am

Congratulations Shane! Well done :grin: :cool:
Cheers,
Ez
Cheers,
Ezza

Yaktastic
2014 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Southern Highlands NSW / South Coast NSW / Fresh Water Impoundments
Kayaks: Hobie Outback 2015, NW Mariner 10, Australis Bass

#6 Post by Yaktastic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:03 am

Great right up Yaktricity. You did pretty well to land a second place finish. I like the photos of the live-well. The prize money would of come in handy for the kit.
Kayaking PB's : Murray Cod 88cm, Yellow Belly 58cm, Bass 38cm FL, Eel Tail Catfish 54cm, Carp 68cm FL, Redfin 40 FL, Luderick 33cm FL, Flathead 82cm, Leather Jacket 20cm FL, Bream 37cmFL 41cmTL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Snapper 40cm FL, Trevally 30cm FL, Jewfish 75cm.

Member - Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's

Follow on Instagram - yak_angler

YakTTMax
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra & South Coast
Kayaks: Australis Pelagic, 2015 Hobie Tandem Island

#7 Post by YakTTMax » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:15 am

What a fantastic effort Shane.
Truly a justified result for someone who puts many hours in perfecting their passion.
All the best, Rob..:bye:
PB.. Flathead 50cm, Bream 37cm FL, Snapper 64cm, Bonito 43cm, Trevally 44cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Tailor 38cm, Barracuda 100cm, Rainbow Trout 55cm, Bass 42cm FL..

TheSailingScene
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by TheSailingScene » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for the report and well done - not a bad way to cap off your first series!
The Sailing Scene - Hobie Kayaks & Catamarans
42 Darley St, Mona Vale NSW 2103
(02) 9979 6546

Yaktricity

#9 Post by Yaktricity » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone, was a great weekend :grin:

And special thanks to Roberta who clued me into how great a lure the crackjack is, all of my fish from the weekend were caught on the Crackjack 48DR Bloody Tiger Prawn.
In the last month or so this lure has accounted for Bream, Flathead, Trevally, Tailor and Whiting! I am not in any way connected to Pontoon 21 its just that this lure is now a must have in my tackle box as the fish in my local seem to not be able to leave it alone!
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's
Bream 43cm Flathead 91cm Snapper 68cm Tailor 49cm Whiting 39cm Luderick 36cm EP 37cm FL Bass 53cm FL

"There is only one reason in the world to go fishing: to enjoy yourself. Anything that detracts from enjoying yourself is to be avoided."

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#10 Post by arpie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:34 pm

:grin: :grin: :grin:

The Secret is OUT! :wink:

Top Result in what can be a very tough fishing arena! :gu:

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Tony10
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: 2014 Hobie PA12, 2013 Hobie Outback

#11 Post by Tony10 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Congratulations on a great result, first year of comp fishing and placing second in the GF, got to be happy with that.

I'm planing on starting comp fishing next year. Would you have any tips for someone starting out fishing comps? (Apart from stoking up on crackjacks :lol: .)

Yaktricity

#12 Post by Yaktricity » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 am

Tony10 wrote:Congratulations on a great result, first year of comp fishing and placing second in the GF, got to be happy with that.

I'm planing on starting comp fishing next year. Would you have any tips for someone starting out fishing comps? (Apart from stoking up on crackjacks :lol: .)
It might sound cliche but just make sure you enjoy yourself and don't take it too seriously.
I used google earth to check out the systems that I had never fished before and tried to identify a couple of areas that I thought would work well with my techniques and would put a basic plan togethor of what I wanted to do.
I also made sure I had a chat with the guys after each round and would try to learn something new, especially if I had struggled to catch on the day. Not surprisingly not everyone is keen to tell you their secrets but as long as you approach them politely most of the guys will gladly give you bits and pieces to work with :grin:

Good luck with it mate and I might see you at a comp or two next year :wink:

PS Definitely have a few crackjacks on the yak with you :lol:
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's

Brez1
2011 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW

#13 Post by Brez1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am

Congratulations on two impressive days fishing and finishing 2nd :cool:

Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

#14 Post by Gazzaguru » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Top stuff Shane. Keep it going mate. Catching bream on lures consistently is an art that takes some skill and you should be proud of it. :cool: Gaz
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.

butts
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra

#15 Post by butts » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 am

Way to go Shane. Congratulations Mate.

Great report too.
Not bad for a first timer.

Butts...
Member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Quote:
"Respect their choice"