Social Bass Challenge I (Results & Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Bass Challenge I (Results & Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 am

Hi guys results are in. Considering the rushed nature of getting this up and going and the foul weather on Sunday it was still a goo result. Well done to T-curve who opened the season with a couple of great bass. Same to arpie for her single fish, shame you forgot the UFN. Thanks again for the support and hope you enjoyed yourselves. The next one will be next month and again be bass.

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------T-curve-------------------NSW---------------------------430mm...................380mm...................810pts
2---------------------Leper-------------........QLD---------------------------390mm...................390mm...................780pts
2---------------------Enjoyfish1---------------QLD---------------------------390mm...................384mm...................774pts
4---------------------WayneD------------------QLD---------------------------372mm...................354mm...................726pts
5---------------------Estuary Girl--------------QLD---------------------------360mm...................350mm....................710pts
6---------------------StevenM------------------QLD---------------------------354mm...................345mm...................699pts
7---------------------brez-----------------------NSW---------------------------284mm......................250mm................534pts
8---------------------Dishley--------------------NSW---------------------------235mm......................233mm................468pts
9---------------------rocketV-------------------QLD---------------------------312mm......................0mm...................312pts
10---------------------Rug----------------------NSW---------------------------262mm......................0mm...................262pts
11---------------------snagmagnet------------NSW---------------------------246mm......................0mm...................246pts
12---------------------Ray7---------------------QLD---------------------------170mm......................0mm...................170pts
13---------------------OldSalty-----------------NSW-----------------------------0mm...................... 0mm...................0pts
13---------------------Mitch_maric------------NSW-----------------------------0mm......................0mm....................0pts
13---------------------ptaar--------------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------arpie---------------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------OutbackYak-------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------saltydude----------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------aus_bass----------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------Ged----------------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
Last edited by Leper on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

Re: Social Bass "Season Opener" (Results & Trip Reports)

#2 Post by Leper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:30 am

After much eager anticipation for the upcoming bass season, Tristan (Enjoyfish1) and I had made our plans to explore our favourite bass system and venture into the wilder less accessible parts. The planned trip was estimated to be about 20km and would be a real push to complete in a single day but with a months worth of adrenalin coursing through our veins we did feel slightly superhuman!

After dropping Tristan’s car at the exit point and putting his kayak and gear into my car we headed to our launch spot. The excitement was palpable in the car and the short journey to the launch point felt like an eternity. We arrived and geared up at a small creek that emptied into the main system and after a short journey that involved a bit of portage we arrived at our first fishable location.

Tristan sent in the first lure and with a whiz and a plop the first cast had been made to open the season. I followed suit and flicked my Sammy towards the nearest structure. With a whiz and a dink I found that somehow my braid had pinched somehow at the spool and that no gentle teasing could remove it. With some serious cursing I had a few casts on my threadline reel with a Megabass Griffon and then decided to sort the problem with my baitcaster which involved some serious cutting and re-tying of knots.

During the operation there was a shout in the morning light of “I’m on” and I turned to find Tristan had opened the season after only a dozen or so casts. With a less than steady hand I reset my outfit and sent out a few long casts to pack the line on a little better and I was set. A few casts into the first pool yielded another surface hit for Tristan and then we dragged our yaks down a small series of rapids to the next pool.
IMG_0153 (Medium).jpg
We cast along the banks with Tristan focussing on the rocky side of the waterway and me focussing on the banks with nice grassy overhangs with the occasional shrubbery creating some structure. I noticed a feeding bass and sent out a few speculative casts in his direction. Eventually after a few twitches and a short swim the water exploded around the Sammy and the line went tight. The drag made a lovely sound as the bass took line but after a small fight a well conditioned fat bass made it yakside and into the net. I had opened the season with a 38cm FL bass off the surface for my first fish of the season and I was stoked. A few photographs on the brag mat for the comp and I was ready for another. Then I realised “Bugger I forgot to put my UFN in the photo” With a feeling of dread which included thoughts such as“What if this is my only fish or best fish?” I realised I had disqualified my first fish.
IMG_0151 (Medium).jpg
We continued down the waterhole and reached a bend in the creek. On the corner was an overhanging shrub that created some really dark shade and just as we reached it there was the beautiful sight and sound of a “Boof “ directly under the bush. I judged the cast needed to get the lure in and with Tristan watching I commented that this cast would need to be extra special. I then managed a cast that you would normally make once in ten casts and with an “Oh my God” I began my usual retrieve. Twitch… Twitch… Twitch…. Twitch… Twitch….Twitch…..Pause…….Twitch…. Swim…. Pause…”Boof!”. Much to the entertainment of Tristan who had watched the whole thing and my second bass of the day was 37cm FL and this time I remembered the UFN!

We reached the end of the hole and I found a large log laying across the bank. The majority of the log was in the sun and was not my preferred structure but the root ball created some heavy shade and so I threw in a cast. The first twitch was a bit heavy handed and it made the Sammy dive in a small arc beneath the surface. There was a silver flash and a boil and my Sammy disappeared. Some frantic cranks of the reel removed the bass from the danger zone and out into the water. This fish reached 38cm to the fork and I again managed to remember the UFN when I captured the photo for the comp. With excited trepidation I realised that for me to upgrade I would need close to two 40cm Fish to the fork and the sun had barely risen.
P9010005 (Medium).jpg
Both of us continued to catch fish but I failed to upgrade for most of the morning. I caught quite a few fish between 30 -38cm FL and even managed one undersized fish at 27cm. It became a bit of a joke between us as we started to joke about the person with the smallest bass would take home the most successful basser for the day.

Tristan knew the location of the 7km waypoint of our journey and we only reached this point at 12.00PM and had at least another 13km to go. The nerves started to kick in at this point and the casting became a little less frequent and the paddling a little more furious. After reaching the 7km mark the next 8km were unknown to both of us and at some points the portage was strenuous to say the least. We clambered down numerous waterfalls and at one point had to negotiate some very large boulders. The strain of dragging a 40kg plus kayak took its toil with numerous bruises and srapes. This was however soon forgotten the minute you caught a glimpse of the next hole and the structure it contained.

My first upgrade came off an area with typical bass structure. Timber in the water, deep shade, overhanging shrubbery and a nice granite cliff face dropping into the water. It screamed bass. I managed a small bass first of about 32cm FL, missed a good fish that hit the Sammy twice before moving on, missed another small fish and then found a nice log that lay in deep water on one end and shallow water at the other. The first few casts yielded nothing at the deep end and then I threw in a cast into about two foot of clear water further up the log. A bow wave appeared at the shallow end that must have been in about 20cm of water and then the bass smacked the Sammy and I was on. This bass was beautiful, golden in colour and reaching 39cm to the fork. I had managed my first upgrade.
IMG_0169 (Medium).jpg
As the day wore on a small sense of impending doom began to settle in as we came to the realisation that there was a good chance we may not make t back to familiar territory before dark. The fishing lessened and it hurt to see so much potential bass holding water drift past as we tried to get some km under our belts. We stopped occasionally when the temptation became too strong to let a potential snag go untouched.
IMG_0167 (Medium).jpg
On one of these very short stops I cast into another nice bit of timber and the lure was engulfed by another nice bass. It came up at 39.5cmFL but only 39cm in the photos and was my second upgrade for the day. It didn’t have the glossy golden looks of the previous upgrade but it still fought hard before being netted
IMG_0175 (Medium).jpg
P9010017 (Medium).jpg
To write about the entire day would be a little overbearing, needless to say that my first few fish that had all been on my favourite lure the Sammy and I stuck with this lure all day. The hits kept on coming and as is the tendency for me when I am surface fishing I missed a fair number of hits probably a dozen all up. I also managed to lose a Sammy to a fish after it hit the lure and the line parted within a second of the line tightening. All I can think is that I was unlucky and that the line hit the gill racker on the bass’s first turn as the line had been cut cleanly.

We made it back to familiar waters before nightfall much to our relief and a few quick casts yielded a few fish and a few hits my last fish of the day going 37cm FL. I had stuck to the Sammy all day as I am completely addicted to surface hits. I probably would have caught a few more fish if I had occasionally switched to some diving lures. The scenery was sensational and I loved every second of our trip. I will definitely head back very soon. I can tell you that the next morning had me feeling like I had been bounced down a mountain. The drive between cars showed that the driving distance was 18km and we don’t really want to know how far we travelled through the winding hills.
IMG_0166 (Medium).jpg
In the end I had a tally of 16 fish all bar one over 30cm and the majority between 35 and 39cm and all off the surface. Tristan caught a few too but I'll let him post his own story. Was the aching muscles, cuts and abrasions, ripped pants and lost lure worth it! Hell yeah!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Leper on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Estuary Girl
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: SE QLD,Far North NSW
Kayaks: Stealth Evo 495,Ultra 4.3,Dirigo,Prowler 13 & Scrambler 11.

#3 Post by Estuary Girl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 am

After months of dreaming of this day I tossed around a couple of places that I wanted to celebrate the first day of the season at.
New lures were purchased, 2 new small Okuma reels picked up on sale to be dedicated freshwater reels and new braid to match. :ht:
A new spot from last year won out as I hoped that it would be quiet.Wasn't to be disappointed!!!!
Quiet on the fish front too. :md:
Only 1 nice bass landed for the morning that went 35cm to the fork.But a very healthy bass from some of the other's I saw last season.
I'm discovering that the bass in this spot take longer to wake up(abit like me!) and bite better in the late afternoon.

Finished the first day of the season off many miles from this spot with one more bass for the day.
It was worth the wait,the miles covered and the early morning rise at 3.45am. :smi:

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toni

Club Co-Ordinator

dishley

#4 Post by dishley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:05 am

What a start to the season for me. The bass were scarce but that did not matter one little bit.
The weekend for me started on Friday morning when 4 of us from met up at the home of BS Basser. We piled all our gear into a little Corolla and put the 4 yaks in the back of the ute. Ready to go, 4 grown men were as eager as kids on christmas morning.
P9041084.JPG
Arriving at our destination none of us knew what to expect. None of us had been here before, our only references were Google Earth and Topo maps so it was a bit of a gamble, especially on the first weekend in September.
To say we were blown away is an understatement. Quiet country town, cheap rooms, cheap food and ice cold beer on tap all snuggled into a gorgeous little valley. Perfect.

P9041088.JPG
The river was not to disappoint either, a quick trip down the first 2 pools to judge the flow of the river and the portages was all we managed on the Friday before the lure of steaks and beer had us back on land. After a good meal we rigged up, talked tackle, showed off the new winter purchases and generally tried to undermine each others confidence with gentle jibes. We were joined by a brilliant fisho from the Hunter so our company was complete. None of us slept very well that night, however that was not because we were uncomfortable, we were all too excited.
P9041090.JPG
The next morning had us all up before dawn, a quick coffee and we were quickly in the water. You know you've found a gem of a river when there are 3 platypi feeding right where you launch. The cheeky buggers were very interested in us as they usually are, keeping an eye on us and generally checking us out. Pure magic at 6am.
P9041096.JPG
We split up and went our seperate ways. 2 down a creek, 2 downstream and I headed of upstream solo. Just the way I like it.
P9041099.JPG
I left the first pool at 6:30am and didn't reach the next pool til 9:30am. 3 hours of dragging over slippery volcanic rock had me cursing my decision to head upstream. I was also cursing the fact that I had left my rockfishing boots at home and only had a pair of wet sneakers for the weekend. (I drew a few stares squelching into the resteraunt later that night)
However it was all worth it. I was greeted by a magnificent pool.
P9041102.JPG
It took me 3 hours to fish this one pool and I was rewarded with 2 small bass. A lot of work for 2 fish but well and truly worth it.
P9041109.JPG
Last edited by dishley on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dishley

#5 Post by dishley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:16 am

I was disturbing roos and wallabies that had come down for their morning trip and I sat back for a while and just soaked up my surroundings. Damn I had missed this.
P9041117.JPG
A few thousand casts later a big dark shape was following my lure. I did all i could to try and entice the strike but it just would not come. As my lure drew closer to the yak I realised why, it was a bloody turtle!! :bb:
P9041124.JPG
I also managed a bit of a suprise catch when a herring took my lure, you know things are slow when a herring is the largest fish you catch all weekend :snic:
P9041127.JPG
As I approached a large overhanging gum I spotted an eagle sitting on one of the lower branches. I cast under the tree and the eagle swooped down toward the water, I was ready to rip my lure away if it came to it but the eagle was tooo smart and flew straight over my head only a few feet above me. The amount of air these guys move is incredible, what a sight.
P9051130.JPG
That was about the end of my day, on the way back I found some locals cutting the throats of some little bass (around the 200 mark) which always saddens me. The lack of a minimum size limit seems strange to me.
A massive pizza and some more icy beers was the perfect end to the day and the weekend.

dishley

#6 Post by dishley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 am

Yep well done T-curve, some crackers there to open the season.

slim
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

#7 Post by slim » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 am

Nice work there people and congrats to both T-Curve and Leper. I got to spend Sunday in hospital following some diabetes complications so didnt get to fish. Having said that i struggled to find them during the week anyway in ht e2 pre comp trips i went on.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.

dishley

#8 Post by dishley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 am

i struggled to find them during the week anyway in ht e2 pre comp trips i went on.
naughty naughty, supposed to be the season opener Slim.

Hope they sorted you out and you're feeling better now mate. Hopefully that lure will arrive today to cheer you up a bit. (short sharp bursts is the way i like to use them)

RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

#9 Post by RUG » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:24 am

Well the wiley hunters arrived at their launch location under cloudy skies. Hunter 1 (we'll call him Brez) knew the spot while hunter 2 (lets call him.......Rug :snic: ) was a newbie to the spot and at catching a WILD Bass.

Cars were unpacked and Yaks dragged across some horse paddocks to the pristine little stream. Tackle sorted and stowed in the right places and hunter 1 was away. Hunter 2 was a bit slower but eventually tooks his rightful place within the boundries of his new secondhand Yak(Thanks Dishley). Hunter 1 had worked over the launch area quite thoroughly but hunter 2 wanted to get the casting kinks out so fired a cast towards a small clump of broken branches laying in the water which hunter 1 had cast around.

The Fizzer plopped down and hunter 2 let the rings subside a little then two cranks of the handle and the Fizzer came to life. A quick pause then another crank when all of a sudden there was a boil under the lure but the fish missed so hunter 2 let the Fizzer sit. After what seemed like an eternity the handle was turned to bring the Fizzer back to life when wham the lure was taken and the fight was on. Although the fish fought with vigour it was quickly subdued with the 6lb braid and 9lb leader(Not FC either).

In the net and both hunters were back where we'd launched for a quick photo on the measuring mat. Hunter 1 called it for 258mm while the pic shows 262mm(Last call was left up to Leper). Hunter 2 couldn't care less as on his first cast in this new location he'd landed his first Wild Bass and was stoked.
IMG_0410.JPG
With a pic taken the plucky little battler was released to grow bigger and fight another day.

Continuing on we draggad our Yaks up rapids and fished the pools in between.

It was along time before hunter 1 finally opend his account with a 250mm model(pics on hunter 1's camera). He was getting annoyed by the lack of landed fish depite having four hits in one pool.

Smiles all round as both of us had opened our season with a Bass.

Hunter 1 was on a short time later and landed a nice Bass of 284mm and he was chuffed. As he was fighting his fish hunter 2 fired out some casts within the pool. Two retrieves the lure was monstered by Bass which annoyingly failed to hookup. The second hit was a beauty and both hunters were astounded it missed the hooks.

Hunter 1's fish was photographed and released.

Our intrepid hunters trudged on paddling and dragging their Yaks along pools, over rapids and through Stinging Nettle covered ground. Hunter 2 found out the hard way what it feels like to drag his Yak through a patch of those loverly plants with shorts on. :ang:

Schooling Bass were seen in a lot of pools which is a good sign for coming months. Even some 40+cm models were spotted by hunter 1.

Just about every pool yelded hits but all missed the hooks. Maybe they were a bit slower due to the still coolish water.

Some great snags were seen and worked over. A shot of a good snag while dragging the Yaks between pools.
IMG_0413.JPG
The hunters came to a steepish re-entry point after a Yak drag and while hunter 1 got it right hunter 2 thought he'd be smart and try to slide into the Yak from the bank so as to keep the family jewels dry. It didn't go well and hunter 2 ended up in waste deep water soaked to the core below the waist. :ang: :ang: :ang:

Continuing on both hunters were getting hits but failing to convert any into measurable fish. :ts:

Finally the hunters made it to their final pool. Working each side they both scored hits but again their was failed conversions all round. Very, very, very frustrating.

Juts as the end of the pool was reached a wind change hit so tackle was stored and it was almost a mad sprint back down the creek. Right back near the launch spot hunter 2 decided to have a dig with the paddle and get some speed going. That didn't go real well as an attempted turn using the paddle failed to make the Yak change direction and he ploughed head long into some vegetation and the creek bank. Hunter 1 was laughing his buttox off yelling that that was funnier than the earlier creek plunge. Even hunter 2 saw the funny side of it.

So despite a surprisingly low number of landed fish compared to the hits had by both hunters it was a fantastic day to be out on the water and hunter 2 would again like to thank hunter 1 for showing him another great location.

For hunter 2 lures used were: Black Fizzer, Black Kokoda Bat and a Bill Norman Lure in the Sunfish colour.http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bill_Nor ... #multiview

Some location shots.
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."

brez

#10 Post by brez » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:47 am

first of all congratulations not just to the winners ( T-curve , Leper and Tristan ) but also to Leper for organising this event and to everyone who had a go . even that 1 person who said i would eat my words but came up a wee bit short :tong: some great trip reports there too leper and Dishley

the morning for me began after a sleepless night which was due to the impending excitement of that first surface hit . rug and i met up up our predetermined spot and i was looking forward to taking him to one of my all time favourite spots . i had planned to fish subsurface lures only but i just couldnt help myself .( 3 months was just to long to wait for that much loved surface hit !)

the first pool i had a very half hearted boil behing my sammy and went very quiet for quite a while after that , though Rug did get on the board early . i just kept overcasting the sammy into the shrubberry and just couldnt get the hang of casting the new fireline with the new exceller real so i switched to a black siglett . we eventually got to a pool which has produced for me in the past and sure enough the fish were willing . i think i had 1/2 dozen missed hits before i finally got on the board with my 1st for the season . a meagre offering but very happy still .
2010_09010002.JPG
as we went along i kept attracting the attention of the bass with a surface hit in most pools , BUT the cheeky buggers were just pulling the lures under for a better look . my mind was wondering taking in the scenery and talikng to my offsider a few times when the lure disappeared from sight .
2010_09010003.JPG
i finally got my full bag some many hours and portages later this one quite lean in the flanks
2010_09010006.JPG
2010_09010007.JPG
a few more missed fish later this guy hit the lure much more like a 350+ specimen and pulled accordingly . i couldnt believe he wasnt alot bigger , to the point where i think he stole the siglett from the other fish :snic:
2010_09010008.JPG
this would be my favourite spot but it didnt produce today maybe next time
2010_09010009.JPG
thanks to my padowin too , Rug it was a pleasure to share this spot with you mate and congrats again on your 1st wild bass .
there were 2 outstanding moments i almost forgot to mention
1. somone falling over attempting a tricky re- entry to his kayak and getting the first dunking for the season and
2. same person getting a nice kick form an electric fence to end the day :snic:
Last edited by brez on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#11 Post by arpie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:49 am

Hi all

Well done to T-Curve, Leper & Tristan for such good fish - only an inch or so (in the old scale) in it between the top 3!!

Slim - so sorry you were crook for the weekend ..... hope all is well now!!

Thanks for the commiseration, Jeff - what a shocker!!

Well, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times ........ sounds like an introduction to a novel!!! :snic: I think it's been used before tho!!!

My plan had been to head out sometime on the Wed morning before the sun got too high .... but Keith's GP (now mine too) decided she wanted to give me the once over, & I headed off to the pathology to give some blood (or so I thought!!) Three & a half hours later :re: :re: I leave!!! Pretty well everything I HAD was tested, including my heart, which sent en ECG off to Sydney to be read as it was taken & it had to be done 3 times until the cardiologists down there were happy with it - nothing wrong with me, just the bloody machine!! :ang: So, plan 1 was pretty well scuppered!! :baf:

Ah well, I wandered down to the little creek that I had found after many hours driving last year ......... (didn't take me that long to find it again this year tho!) :fg: And launched - I had the place to myself & I slowly pedalled from the shallows into the deeper water & cast my brand new Heddon Zara Puppy at the base of a tree for no reaction, then shot it at a submerged log, only to hit it!! Bugger!! That'll spook everything around it, I thought, then as it hit the water & I gave it my bream twitch to commence the walk the dog ........ the water exploded as the line on my rod tightened & I found myself leaning backwards into what was obviously a good fish!! It was doing its best to get back under the log .... and succeeding ..... & I was SO pleased that I had taken my Shimano Catana 2-4kg stick with 10lb braid on it ...... as I muscled it away from the log, turning the rudder so I could get out into the middle of the creek & fight it cleanly!!

Don't panic ...... take your time ...... don't stuff up now ........ don't want to drop it at yak side ...... WOOHOO!!! Finally in the net!! A quick weigh shows it to be 1.26kg
IMGP4661.jpg
The lie detector showed it as 42cm to the fork! 45cm to the tail! My PB WILD RIVER BASS!!! :ha: :ha: And what a bass it was!! Big, Fat & healthy! Caught on my brand new Zara Puppy!!
IMGP4662_1.jpg
I was about to take some more pics, and grabbed it with my left hand (with thumb support on) which wasn't a good grip & the bass did a wiggle & a shake (even tho I had a jaw grip) and it flipped into the water & that was that!! No more pics!! :sad1: I was still in shock, having caught such a terrific bass on my 2nd cast, within sight of the car ..... when I'd only ever caught tiddlers there before & had fully expected the same again!!! Then, I thought ..... oh, did the UFN show up in the pic? I'd put it up the top of the brag mat ..... checked the pic on the camera to find that ..... NONE of the number showed in the pics I had taken! :ts: The bloody fish was too bloody big & had covered it completely!!! :bb: I remember that I had spread the tail a bit to make the fork length easier to read, but had fully neglected to make sure the number showed!!! Immediately after, I changed the mat to this ...... (The top one is the number hidden by the big bass's back ..... I added the bottom number for my next fish - glad I didn't hold my breath!!) :sad1: How unlucky was that? :baf: I had to disqualify my fish! :bb:
IMGP4680.jpg
If there is one, there must be more!!! (or so I thought) so I spent the next 3hrs casting at every shadow, every bit of wood in the water & along weed beds ....... for zilch! Not even a hit!! Occasionally I would hear a splash, but it was either a blue kingfisher or a water dragon ...... no fish (other than fresh water mullet) in the creek for me! :sad1:

It was a gorgeous little creek anyway - the wattle blossom was covering the water
IMGP4668.jpg
Some of my casts were right on the money - the anticipation of a hit was HIGH, but still no hits! :baf: A few misdirected casts found their ways up into the trees, but with the 10lb braid, I was able to give it a good YANK & they came flying back to me! :ll: In such a gorgeous waterway, I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting hits! I'd changed lures to poppers & spinners for no luck!

I made my way home, to ponder my next outing ...... the weather was touted as about to turn nasty & the next day, it was!! Rain all day with gale force winds whipping the ocean to a fury! Then on Wed, altho it was overcast & had a bit of drizzle ....... I thought - well, the fish are wet ...... so donned my wet weather gear & a fully covered hat and made my way to a brackish area this time! I thought there may be some bass still hanging around in the brackish water .......

This time, after no joy with spinners & topwater lures, I changed to a blade!! A touch! I feel a touch!! It's hooked ....... bugger, a bloody blackfish!!!
IMGP4682.jpg
Another touch ..... Yes, I'm on ...... bugger!! A bloody tailor!!
IMGP4684.jpg
The water looked SOOO bassy, I was surprised to not get a hit!! I tasted it - It was like fresh water! THey should be here!! It WAS low tide tho (bad timing) and I only got so far along before I either had to get out & pull the yak over rocks or go back from whence I came!! Given the drizzle & just general disappointment, I gave up after 2hrs & went home!
IMGP4685.jpg
both sides looked good for fish
IMGP4686.jpg
So, two outings for only the one/none fish! :sad1: Will I get lucky again?? Time will tell
cheers
Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#12 Post by arpie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I had another couple of days at home, as the weather continued to be grotty, then on Sunday morning, we had blue skies & no real wind! Terrific!!! I'll try again! The one fish I HAD caught should have found his mark again & surely there were more than 1 fish in that section of the creek ....... I returned to the area of carnage from Day 1 ...... but I had a cunning plan - this time, i would leave it til late afternoon & fish into the twilight!!! Never done that before!! Couldn't wait to see the fish go ballistic as it got darker & quieter into the evening!

SHortly after launching, I realised that I'd left my spinners in the car, so headed back & grabbed those (just in case it was a spinner that landed the monster fish) and once again, headed up the creek. My casting was better, getting so close to the targets, or actually bouncing off them again (I wasn't worried about it this time!) so was Very disappointed when, once again, no hits! Calm, still, no movement
IMGP4687.jpg
I was putting everything I had at every likely target ....... for no response! I thought I'd heard a couple of boofs, but once again, they were water dragons! :baf:

Gradually, it got a bit darker & some lovely colours were appearing with the sunset
IMGP4688.jpg
I continued casting towards the river banks but as it got darker, some of my shots were misdirected & ended up in trees or on the bank! :sad1: The sunset, tho, was lovely!
IMGP4689.jpg
Earlier in the piece, I'd realised that I'd forgotten to put my headlamp in the back pocket of my seat ..... and was very aware that I would be on my own, in the dark, trying to exit the yak onto slippery rocks back at my launch spot! :ops: I made the decision to pull the plug on the trip & return to base before it got TOO dark! :sad1:

The sunset was too good to miss!
IMGP4691.jpg
No, that isn't one of my lures hanging in the tree, tho I DID have to go in & retrieve one ....
IMGP4690.jpg
One last shot & I'm outta here!!
IMGP4692.jpg
Th-th-th-th That's it from me folks .....

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

brez

#13 Post by brez » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for posting those awesome sunset pics Roberta . i felt your disappointment at having not been able to see the UFN , i very nearly did the same thing . better luck next time , you had some lovely water to fish in by the look of it :bye:

RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

#14 Post by RUG » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 pm

brez wrote:2. same person getting a nice kick form an electric fence to end the day :snic:

I forgot all about that bloody fence. Who in their right mind puts an electric fence in the middle of a horse paddock? Sure gave me a kick. :ang: :ang: :ang:
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

#15 Post by Leper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Jeff just looking at your photos has my "bass radar' ticking. The hear starts beating faster the eyes start to bulge etc when I see water that screams bass. Shame you found none because from I can see they've got to be there. Thanks for sharing!

Brez I know a creek where a lovely farmer has strung an electric fence across the creek which makes for the best kayak limbo you will ever see! :snic:
Brad

ImageImage

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”