Social Flathead Challenge IV (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
butts
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra

Re: SFC IV (Results and Trip Reports)

#16 Post by butts » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 am

Congratulations to everyone that was able to fish this comp. I think it's great that a comp like this exists and allows so many yak fisho to fish in the one competition. Well Done Brad on organising yet another very successfull comp.

Hang on? This is a Social Competition, yes? It's all about bragging rights, yes?

Well. HOW GOOD IS THIS. 1st Place MATMAN Member of the NSWSCKF. 2nd Place DANGEROUSDAVE who lives on the south coast of NSW. 3rd Place SAKAS another member of the NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's.

Why would you want to live anywhere else and look at the fish we catch down here (well some do). I've said it before and I'll say it again God's Country

Butts...
OK that's all I've got, it's 4 in the morning and I need some sleep
Member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Quote:
"Respect their choice"

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#17 Post by Freewily » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am

Well done Matman! Mojo King! :lol: No by your report it sounds like good planning & techniques. Nice Flatty & well done on its caring release too. :grin:
Well deserved for your efforts mate!

Also well done to the runner ups & all the participants. Great turn out.
Sorry to Leper. As I didn't think I had a chance to go. :?: Maybe next year. :wink:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Sicklids
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra / Shoalhaven
Kayaks: - Viking Tempo - Australis 'Squid' - Hobie Pro Angler

#18 Post by Sicklids » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 am

butts wrote:Congratulations to everyone that was able to fish this comp. I think it's great that a comp like this exists and allows so many yak fisho to fish in the one competition. Well Done Brad on organising yet another very successfull comp.

Hang on? This is a Social Competition, yes? It's all about bragging rights, yes?

Well. HOW GOOD IS THIS. 1st Place MATMAN Member of the NSWSCKF. 2nd Place DANGEROUSDAVE who lives on the south coast of NSW. 3rd Place SAKAS another member of the NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's.

Why would you want to live anywhere else and look at the fish we catch down here (well some do). I've said it before and I'll say it again God's Country

Butts...
OK that's all I've got, it's 4 in the morning and I need some sleep
:lol: :lol: :lol: Says it ALL really hey butts! :love:

CHEERS :blah:
Andy
Water Rats Fishing Facebook
Mobile: 0432555952
Aust Reps International Kayak Wars 2013
Yak PBs:
- Dam Bass 42cm - Black Bream 37cm - Yellowfin Bream 43cm -
- Blackfish 35cm - Trevally 44cm - Whiting 40cm - River Bass 40cm
NEW PB - Flathead 87cm

silver19
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Sth East Qld/Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11 + Extreme Fish Bandit + Feelfree X-Press Tourer SIK

#19 Post by silver19 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Well thanks to Brad for all the hard work and to the sponsors for the awesome prizes. Great job Guys. A big congratulations to Matt for the win and to Dangerous Dave and sakas, some mighty fish there. Congratulations also to Sydo on his 930mm croc. Bad luck you couldn`t come up with another fish.

Dawn (sunshine) & I picked Wednesday to fish and naturally it dawned wet and windy. We fished the Tweed and decided to stick to our game plan despite the inclement weather. The plan was to drop Dawn`s car down the river at the take out area and launch around 6.30am at high tide a few K up river and go down the river with the tide. We targeted the many sandbanks and weedbeds as we floated down the river throwing Squidgy Fish on 1/4oz jigheads and Frenzy hardbodies.

Dawn had her first and biggest flattie (560mm) on the 3rd cast of the day which sure got our hopes up for a good session. My first fish, a 38cm model came shortly after so at least I was on the board with plenty of scope for upgrades. My best of 540mm came out of shallow water near a weedbed on a pink Squidgyfish followed shortly after by a 480mm upgrade. Dawn ended with 8 flatties for the day plus 5 Bream while I had 12 with 3 Bream but neither of us could snare that one kicker fish.

By the time we got down to the exit point the rain had set in but if you are going to let that put you off this summer you are sure not going to get much fishing in.

All in all it was a very enjoyable day and once again thanks to you Brad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers John & Dawn Image

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ( Mae West )

Member of the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#20 Post by arpie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Well done Matman with your SUPERB fish & also to everyone else who landed flatties this time - commiserations to those who didn't!! Sure looks like the Cane Toads had a harder time of it this year (are we allowed to gloat??) or was it just the crap weather that was hitting the state that affected the fishing? :?: I am very happy with 7th place!! Mind you, if I'd UFN'd last weekend, I would have been 2nd!!

I headed out with Michelle & Scott last Sun - me to fish for flatties & M & S to try for bream, from our favourite 'put in' spot, Little St! I headed into the first lease I came to (where I've caught some beauties in the past) and it wasn't long before I was onto a nice flattie! It went 50cm - happy with that! :)
PC110024.jpg
Next cast & I am onto another one, same size, so didn't bother with a pic! Then, another one that went 51cm - it wolfed down a Pumpkin Squidgy thingy
PC110025.jpg
PC110026.jpg
Check out the bright shoes!! So comfy!! But the exposed ankles were a killer with the sun! Have remedied that now!! The Shoes are Called Clagla (French) wading shoes - REALLY light & comfy. No seams to annoy bunions etc. About $70-80 which is CHEAP compared to SHimano ones & other brands!
https://www.glaglashoes.com.au/shoes_de ... p?proid=20
PC110028.jpg
I had another around the 50cm mark (I reckon I found the 50cm meeting place!) and then landed a nice one that would have been up around the 55cm+ mark ...... got it into the net & had it in the yak & it went ballistic, jumping out of the net, out of the yak & onto the racks, still with the hook in its mouth, then spat the hook & disappeared! :?: Bummer!!!

Two dorks on Paddle Boards came into the lease via a hole in the fence & paddled straight in front of me as I was fishing my way up a 'lane' - spooking every fish to kingdom come & when I thanked them for stuffing up my day - they went ballistic about 'not owning the lake' - I wasn't the one who chose the .000005% of the lake that I was using to come within spitting distance of passing!! INCREDIBLE!! AND they weren't wearing life jackets - is it one law for some & none for them? Michelle & Scott had seen them out in the middle of the lake, way away from 'shore' as well!

I headed out to find M & S when I realised my flag wasn't there any more! Bugger! I'd already lost one on the Midcoast Weekend!! Now, I nearly lost my flag again!! It fell off somewhere in the 1st lease, so I headed back & luckily found it, sitting on top of a rack that I had 'passed over' about 1" from the edge of falling into the abyss between the two 'close' racks! If it had fallen there, I never would have seen it, let alone found it!

M & S joined me in that lease again & I started chucking topwater around for fun & a nice breambo jumped on board when I was in la-la land, scaring me a bit!! :oops:
PC110029.jpg
M & S returning to base - on the way back, we were chatting to 2 blokes in a tinny (catching NOTHING) who are now keen to get Hobies & start chucking SPs around the leases after hearing of our successes! :lek:
PC110030.jpg
Great day on the water with M&S, even tho my lower legs got sunburnt to hell & back!! Almost 3rd degree, I reckon! Still sore today! Hope they aren't too bad by Fri when I will be walking the banks of Jindy, trying to find trout with Maybe!!!

cheerio for now

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Mac
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: east coast
Kayaks: Fisha 460

#21 Post by Mac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Well done Mat on the big girl,great effort once again Brad on organising the event.

fished last Saturday,starting at gentlemans hrs,the morning was overcast,thankfully no rain or wind

the plan was to fish the top of the runout,in a deeper channel (where have caught some respectable lizards in the past)
then move to the sshallows towards the bottom of the tide.

started throwing blades and softi plastics on the drift,and repeat for a couple of hrs.things wern't going
to plan,with not a bloody touch....agh this is no good,not even on the board :?:so I tie on old faithful and do a troll
in the direction of the shallower water.after a short pedal....in a 6ft of water "old fathiful" gets monstered..zzzzz
line back and forward toooand fro for a few minutes....before no weight on the line......no no shite gone.bust-off.
to my anger :grr: a set of straightened rear trebles,(3rd set in two trips) :bb:...replace trebles,and off I go for a few more laps.
still no bloody runs on the board.what to do....plan b

hit the flats with a lure change,in the shalow water have a flick in between some weed patches,with the little lure,still no joy.
decide to trollthe little....."crackajack 48" to cover more ground.instantly I am rewarded with a little..200 speciman....at least
I'm on the board.keep trolling and more success and they are getting bigger....still not legal.

keep trolling a little more....and bingo a 385 and then a 432 model....so thats my day.
5.JPG
6.JPG
020.JPG
lures that did the job
Last edited by Mac on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheers Rob

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#22 Post by Biggles » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:40 pm

butts wrote:OK that's all I've got, it's 4 in the morning and I need some sleep
Maaaate, all the sleep in the world is not going to fix your issues :blah:

Brad, mate thanks heaps for the effort behind the scenes with these friendlies, I understand your pain at times. Without doubt, this format is very popular and allows everyone to be involved. Well done to all those who made the effort to enter and post reports, and for those of us dogged by either late work commitments or inclement weather, we look forward to the next one sometime in the New Year :wink:

Al

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#23 Post by Mackayak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Congratulations to Matman for winning and Dangerous Davie for coming seconde and a special thanks to Leper for organising the comp it was our first time and I had a great day with the young fellow although I think he spent more time playing with his new Yak rather than fishing.
The weather was good and while waiting for the young fellow to put on his lures I had a few flicks and on the second one hooked a small bass
DSCF0527.JPG
great start but as Flatties where the name of the game so we headed to their area.
Had a few hits but finally had the first onboard about 10.30am
DSCF0535.JPG
talking to some others and they said they had been getting plenty but they were not bitting today.
We stop for lunch and I was not in the good books as I forgot to put the soft drink in. After lunch we when to the mouth of where we were fishing,
DSCF0541.JPG
while we were walking Liam seen a small flattie mark in the sand and then I point out to him the mark just in the water, he thought it would be good to get one like that.
DSCF0543.JPG
After our walk started trying for more flatties and was rewarded with 1 more and then the wind come up. After a while we decide to call it a day.
DSCF0544.JPG
Back near the launch site I had a few flicks and hooked another small bass a few more flicks and had the first good one on. So total for the day 2 flatties (5 hours) 3 Bass 30 minutes.
DSCF0553.JPG
DSCF0554.JPG
:wink: :bye:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

NarraJosh
2013 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: Emotion Advant-Edge SIK, Hobie PA 14

#24 Post by NarraJosh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for organising such a great event Brad! Congratulations to all that got good fish too but especially Matman, that is one amazing croc, flathead of a lifetime. Sydo almost pipped him with another just shorter but I would be happy as with either.

I fished the 3/12 and started off promising with a lot of activity up the back of the lake and had a good feeling about some big fish. Conditions were perfect:

Was flicking around 5cm gulp prawn in peppered prawn on a 1/0 1/8oz TT jighead, lots of bites which ended up being bream with a couple around the 30cm mark:

28cm
30cm

The bream were going off and I lost what felt like an excellent flathead early on in the piece. Snared my first flathead about 1hr in, a little tacker around 39cm:

Kept flicking around and came up tight against what I knew was a better fish, fought for a long time thinking it was a big flathead, lots of powerful runs and thumps. Got a glimpse when it got close to the yak and to my surprise was a big bream, my PB to date. Coaxed into the net and finally appreciated how thick this bream was, it was hard to hold around the head due to it's thickness! Unfortunately as soon as I had taken it out of the net it dropped stone cold dead and no amount of reviving would get it going again (made it easier handling though :blah: ) Super stoked with my new PB bream of 40cm

Check how thick it is in the body compared to the brag mat!

Shortly after this I was flicking around the same sandbank that produced the big bream I came up against my best flathead of the day at 56cm:

Things quietened down a bit after this and the wind really picked up, managed a couple of small flathead but alas no upgrades. Still a great day on the water and will be in it next time no doubt!

Tight Lines,

NarraJosh
PB's: Australian Salmon 620mmFL, Bass 470mm FL (Wild), Bass 430mm FL (Dam), Bream 435mm FL, Estuary Perch 445mm FL, Flathead 745mm, Mulloway 850mm, Murray Cod 715mm Redfin 200mm Tailor 520mmFL

butts
Club Co-ordinator

#25 Post by butts » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:28 am

Biggles - Mate you are so right there.

Narrajosh - I spose you can't wait for a Bream comp. Some great looking Bream there mate.

Well done everyone. Keep the reports coming.

Butts...
Member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Quote:
"Respect their choice"

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”