Social Flathead Challenge VIII (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Flathead Challenge VIII (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Well we had a better time weather wise during this SFC than last year but not by much with some very cold, wet windy weather along the coast. Congrats to everyone who got out and amongst the flathead or just used it as an excuse to get on the water for a paddle.

A big congratulations to Knm1947 who managed a solid score to win this year's comp and beat his second place last year, a well deserved consistent win! A respectable second and third place went to pdfarrell and guruknot.

Now its time to hear about all your trips and how you went. Tell us what you did whether you caught a flathead, caught everything but flathead, didn't catch a fish or why you just couldn't get out and amongst it!

Cheers everyone and look forward to the next one!

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------Knm1947-----------------QLD---------------------------570mm...................550mm...................1120pts
2---------------------pdfarrell------------------NSW---------------------------610mm...................430mm...................1040pts
3---------------------guruknot-----------------NSW---------------------------640mm...................370mm...................1010pts
4---------------------One-Way------------------QLD---------------------------550mm...................450mm...................1000pts
5---------------------Mattotarpon-------------QLD---------------------------510mm...................490mm...................1000pts
6---------------------mackayak-----------------NSW---------------------------522mm...................420mm...................942pts
7---------------------rocketv--------------------QLD---------------------------480mm...................390mm...................870pts
8---------------------cozza-----------------------QLD---------------------------445mm...................420mm...................865pts
9---------------------klownfish------------------QLD---------------------------410mm...................383mm...................793pts
10---------------------Hillybilly-------------------QLD---------------------------378mm....................378mm...................756pts
11--------------------JiveTurkey----------------NSW---------------------------390mm.......................0mm….................390pts
12--------------------Scott3454------------------NSW--------------------------370mm.......................0mm....................370pts
13--------------------dirvin21---------------------NSW---------------------------360mm........................0mm….................360pts
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

Re: Social Flathead Challenge VIII Results and Trip Reports

#2 Post by Jamie D » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

7 Queenslanders in the top 10 , Onya boys !!!!! Up the maroons

dirvin21
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Nambucca Heads
Kayaks: sit-on fisherman

#3 Post by dirvin21 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:58 am

congrats to knm1947 on the win
thankyou to Leper for organising the event

I had 1 opportunity to fish the comp which was also the last day of the school holidays, wind came up early so me and the kids hit a local creek which is closed to the ocean
the water was freeeezing the fish weren't interested in my usual soft plastics, so I tried vibes (new technique for me) the action of the vibe seemed to make a difference with some strikes coming and a dropped fish :?:
after my genius children decided to jump into the sub-antarctic water :roll: it was time to head for home and on my last ditch effort I came up tight on a flattie he was sitting right on a drop off not much of a fish at 36cm but he secured me last place but atleast I'm on the board
lure of choice was a sebile flat shad 42mm

Dave
PB: BASS: 47cm, SNAPPER: 62cm, TAILOR: 60cm, BREAM: 43cm, FLATHEAD: 65cm, GOLDEN PERCH: 52cm, JEW: 33cm

NSW NORTH COAST KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#4 Post by Mackayak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:16 am

Congratulations to Knm1947 for winning and thanks Leper for organizing the comp final maid me take a day of and had a great day on the water.
Did plane an early start but like most days it was raining so decide to leave going for a while. Finally hit the water about 8.30am and the rain had stop and did turn out a good day. Started fishing and hook a small bream keep on trying on again another bream. After a while my offsider come up and had a good Flathead 64cm a PB for him so helped him take the photos and release it. Now the pressure was on keep trying and finally a flathead was on board 38cm, Keep on trying and decide to do some trolling could see a spot coming up that just look like it had to have a flathead in it so stop trolling and had a cast YES on and felt like a good fish Yes 52cm so now had 2 keep on fishing and final got another flathead 42cm the wind was starting to pick up so trolled my way back. Half way back near a dead tree my line took of it was a tailor so 3 flathead 2 bream and a tailor was happy with that for the day.
DSCF2618.JPG
Flathead 522.JPG
Flathead 420.JPG
DSCF2619.JPG
DSCF2620.JPG
DSCF2629.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#5 Post by hillbilly » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks Brad for organising the competition. Being retired, I enjoy being able to select a day when the weather is good to do most of my fishing. I chose a very calm day and fished the Coomera River for two small flathead. In fact you could call them twins as they measured exactly the same but were caught some 50 metres apart but on different rods both rigged with Squidgy Paddletails but with different jig head weights. Lure of choice for me when flathead fishing is mostly a Squidgy (Black & Gold) Paddle or Twisty Tail with a 1/8 ounce or 1/6 ounce jig head depending on the current. I always cast into the current if there is one and I find that an anchor is a must for holding your position.
P1040849.JPG
Fish 1.
P1040851.JPG
Quite a nice area.
P1040852.JPG
Fish 2.
P1040853.JPG
Extra weight helps the anchor grab.
P1040856.JPG
Trimmed fin and bottom ribs then ready to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

guruknot
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: far northcoast
Kayaks: hobie adventure,hobie lanai,mirage 583

#6 Post by guruknot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 am

P7200028.jpg
P7200032.jpg
[attacgday we waited for the weather to clear and it turned out to be a nice day.Lanced headed out and managed an early hook up, excellent,took a photo great start.Unfortunately I forgot to put the ufn on the photo doh.A short time latter landed a nice 64cm flatty,you beauty,photo taken with number.then for the next couple of hours nothing,very slowly heading back to the launch site ruing my early mistake with the no number finally landed another 37cm,on the board and in the running.very happy with third place and it looks like maybe 64cm was the biggest. thanks leper for organising the comp congrats to the winner.
PB,S flathead 64cm,bass 41cm, barra 95cm

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#7 Post by pdfarrell » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:15 pm

I nominated Sunday the 19th of July as my fishing day. It coincided with our Monthly Midcoast Outing which was at Lemon Tree Passage (Port Stephens).
The weather forecast didn't look the best, but I made the 150k trip down the valley and met Ageboy at the launch site.
Seems we were the only two Midcoasters crazy enough to brave the weather.

I took four rods out with me that I had pre-rigged. The four lures were a pink micro mullet, a Zman 4" Diezel Minnow in Opening Night, a Zman 4" Streakz Curly Tail in New Penny and a Keitech 3.6" Crazy Flapper in Green Pumpkin Charteuse. I figured with the 4 different colours and actions I'd be sure find one that the flatties were interested in. All the SP's were rigged on 1/6oz jigheads with hook sizes to suit.

After about an hour and a half of trolling and flicking without a touch in 9 degree water, I let Ageboy know I'd had a gutful and was going to pack up and head down to Lake Macquarie.

80km later I arrived at one of my favourite spots, Myuna Bay, at about 9:30am. Was on the water by about 9:45am and had a flatty on board about 5 minutes after.
He went 43cm and fell to the Crazy flapper. It was a good start and was also destined to be my dinner that evening. The 16 degree water was a huge improvement.

While in the process of setting up to take his picture, I heard a plop! I looked to my left to see the carefully crafted white piece of acrylic with my UFN number sinking to the bottom of the bay! I was unable to retrieve it so I threw the flatty in the livewell and headed back to the launch, hoping I had some sort of writing implement in my ute to make a new UFN sign. Luckily I had a marker in my glovebox and a bit of cardboard under the seat.

When I got back on the yak and on the water I opened up the livewell to get exhibit A out, and noticed quite a bit of sand in the bottom. I had dug the inlet tube into the sand when I beached the yak to go to my ute! With sand all through the pump, decided it best not to continue running it, and after finally getting a pic of the luckiest flatty in the bay, he was released.
The day was strictly now catch and release.
430mm.jpg
Continuing on with the Crazy Flapper, the line went tight on another fish about 10 minutes later.. this time a 34cm flatty. Was happy to get two fish and looked forward to the challenge of upgrading for the rest of the day.
340mm.jpg
Thinking I was on a good thing, I fished on with the Crazy Flapper for about half an hour, until I thought it was time to change it up. Swapped rods to the one rigged with the Zman 4" Streakz Curly Tail in New Penny. First cast got smashed on hitting the water, and could tell be the fight that it wasn't the target species. Bloody Tailor!
Tailor.jpg
Nearly 2 hours past, with hardly any hits. Found out that squid were quite fond of the Zman 4" Diezel Minnow in Opening Night as they wouldn't leave it alone!
Tried a heap of different lures and plastics, including the Crazy Flapper without luck, so finally went back to one of my go to flatty SP's, the Zman 3" Minnow in Electric Chicken.

Didn't take long and had a nice fish on taking some line! After a bit of a fight, I landed a nice upgrade. 61cm! Was so thrilled!
610mm.jpg
It was now early afternoon and the Westerly started to swing around to the East, I kept persevering trying to get a better lizard than 43cm, but being on the Western Side of Lake Mac with a howling Easterly isn't a whole lot of fun. I decided that enough was enough and almost surfed the white caps back to the launch.

After loading up the ute, I embarked on the 140km trip home, happy with my catch but disappointed I couldn't spend more of the afternoon on the water.

A big congratz to Knm1947 on 2 good fish and well deserved win, and to Brad for organising the event.

Very happy with my 2nd Placing in my first SFC. :gu:

Cheers,
PF

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#8 Post by rocketV » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Between other commitments and crap weather I had only one possible day to fish. The weather and tides were not ideal but beggars can't be choosers!
I hit a local spot that had delivered the winning score in a previous SFC so I knew that some decent fish live in the area.
I had a good session and managed to catch plenty of flatties, unfortunately of the dozen or so that came on board, none of them were the big kicker fish that I felt I would need to take out the comp.
I was fishing drop offs and that fell from 1.5m to 4m, casting the lure into the shallows and bringing it over the drop offs with the falling tide.
All fish were taken casting soft plastic in a variety of brands and sizes.
Even small flatties don't seem to shy off hitting a 4" lure and I caught fish on 4" zman dieZel minnow, 4" gulp jigging grub, 120mm Squidgy Wriggler and zman 4" crawdadz. Jig Heads were 1/4 and 3/8. I find 3/8 best for deeper water when the tide starts pumping and 1/4 in the shallower water or at slack tides.
I felt sure that a big fish couldn't be far away given the large numbers of small males, but the only really good fish I hooked in the session threw the hooks after only 5 seconds leaving me absolutely gutted!
I finished the day with a respectable tally but knew that I hadn't caught the winning bag.
P1020541.JPG
P1020536.JPG
Just one week later I fished the same spot and trolled up this beast
Pine Flatty 25-7-15.JPG
Congrats to the winners and all who got out and gave it a go.
Big thanks to Brad for once again motivating us to get out there :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

knm1947
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Maryborough
Kayaks: Viking Nemo

#9 Post by knm1947 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 am

Plan A was to fish on the 24th as that was the tide that suited me the best but I didn't want to leave it 'til the last day in case of bad weather so I nominated for 14th being the next most suitable tide. Granddad duties prevented me from fishing that day so it was back to plan A. Settled for a 7.00am launch on the last of the runout tide on a beautiful sunny windless morning. Paddled out of the creek flicking lures where little gutters were draining the flats & after about an hour got my first fish 55cm on a Yo-Zuri prawn.
1. Flathead_a.jpg
After dropping a couple of undersize fish I ventured further out of the creek & fished the gutters running into the main channel using the same lure & Zman paddle tail plastics in motor oil & pink. It was the pink plastic that fell to second fish at 57cm.
3. Flathead_a.jpg
I continued fishing hoping for an upgrade as I had caught bigger fish in the area but only managed smaller specimens.
Congratulations to the placegetters & all those who caught fish & THANKS to Brad for organising the comp.
On my previous trip to this location this fellow was also trying his luck.
Roo_1a.jpg
Roo_2a.jpg
I am going to have to upgrade my reporting & photographic skills before next time.
Cheers
Keith

MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

#10 Post by MattoTarpon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:05 am

knm1947 wrote:Plan A was to fish on the 24th as that was the tide that suited me the best but I didn't want to leave it 'til the last day in case of bad weather so I nominated for 14th being the next most suitable tide. Granddad duties prevented me from fishing that day so it was back to plan A. Settled for a 7.00am launch on the last of the runout tide on a beautiful sunny windless morning. Paddled out of the creek flicking lures where little gutters were draining the flats & after about an hour got my first fish 55cm on a Yo-Zuri prawn.
1. Flathead_a.jpg
After dropping a couple of undersize fish I ventured further out of the creek & fished the gutters running into the main channel using the same lure & Zman paddle tail plastics in motor oil & pink. It was the pink plastic that fell to second fish at 57cm.
3. Flathead_a.jpg
I continued fishing hoping for an upgrade as I had caught bigger fish in the area but only managed smaller specimens.
Congratulations to the placegetters & all those who caught fish & THANKS to Brad for organising the comp.
On my previous trip to this location this fellow was also trying his luck.
Roo_1a.jpg
Roo_2a.jpg
I am going to have to upgrade my reporting & photographic skills before next time.
Cheers
Keith
well done mate pm me your address and i will send you out a few goodies
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!

knm1947
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Maryborough
Kayaks: Viking Nemo

#11 Post by knm1947 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:57 pm

A parcel of Goodies arrived in the mail today. Thanks to MattoTarpon for providing the prizes
Keith

MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

#12 Post by MattoTarpon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 am

knm1947 wrote:A parcel of Goodies arrived in the mail today. Thanks to MattoTarpon for providing the prizes
Keith
no problem mate enjoy and go get some fish on them. :wink:
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”