Social Flathead Challenge X (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Flathead Challenge X (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Well the results are in and yet again it is with some embarrassment that I claim the first place for myself! :beye: One cracking 680mm Flathead was all that jumped me from 7th to 1st and you have no idea how much I hoped someone else would claim the top spot. Oh well!

Congratulations to arpie on her second place and to Ads22 for third as well as to all those who managed to land a Flathead. Also a big thank you to everyone who took up the challenge and headed out to target a few flathead and make a competition of it!
IMG_100.jpg
I know I thoroughly enjoy these competitions and we will endeavour to have a lot more targeting a variety of species. As many people have told me it has brought a little more life to the site and we will make this a bigger part of the sites direction in the future! Hopefully everyone will have a crack at the bream competition running in July!

So now I look forward to hearing all your reports whether you caught a fish or not! Thanks again for being part of the 10th SFC!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Social Flathead Challenge X (Results and Trip Reports)

#2 Post by arpie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Golly Gosh!! I am surprised I made it to 2nd spot ..... well done on coming in at No 1, Leper!! :gu: And MANY THANKS for putting the comp on again - it is always good have a goal when going out to fish! :gu: Congrats on the 10th Flattie Comp!!

I headed over to Tuncurry on an out tide, to where I normally catch flatties when I am trying for bream :roll: ..... and didn't catch ANYTHING for 4hrs!! I was really scared I was going to donut - but hung in there & finally the tide turned & I started to get some hits.

It was freezing cold & a strong wind blowing - I very nearly bailed a couple of times .... especially after i busted my rudder cable (up/down) when the current pushed me onto the timber of a floating rack & the rudder dragged across it whilst still 'locked'. :beye: Something had to give & it wasn't the timber! :roll: With the cable busted, the internal bungee made the rudder sit at a 45 degree angle in the water, making it useless. Without a rudder, the yak basically doesn't have any real propulsion either! I headed to shore & found some thin rope in the back of the yak & figured that if i tied the rudder in a 'down' position, I should still be able to use the 'left right' rudder handle & still be able to get around. I did this & to my amazement, it worked (altho the steering was now VERY tight - sometimes needing 2 hands to turn the handle) at least I was on my way again! The pic shows the angle the rudder sits at when not 'locked down'!
P6300002.jpg
I tied the rope back thru the rear bungee stays tightened it to make sure the rudder was in the 'locked down' position & was very lucky that it all worked for me!
P6300003.jpg
I'll upgrade the post I've done on rudder repair with this latest development ..... and I've now made an 'emergency repair' that will stay on the yak in case of any future breaks!! :idiot:

I had been mainly casting big SPs initially, then changed to mid diving HBs, catching my first couple of flatties on a green one (but I had obscured my UFN number by holding the flatties on the measure tray - so had to start from scratch again! :beye: I then wrote my UFN on the TOP of the measure tray! :idiot: I was just using a regular jerk, wind, pause technique.

I had my chances with some big fish - I spooked one as I drifted over it & cast all around where I thought it had 'gone' in the hope it would bite .... but it didn't. Another cast, I reckon would have been a 'clunker' - you know the one - where you almost 'hear' the SP being 'clunked onto' which usually indicates a BIG fish ..... and the SP came back looking like a pretzel ..... but no fish! :?:

Mind you - I reckon I also hooked the smallest fish of the comp tho! LOL
P6300001 copy.jpg
Casting the deeper diving lures around the shallows & slightly deeper water, I finally started catching some legal fish, coming up tight on a nice fish in the racks ...... BUGGER! It was a BREAM! It went 32cm
P6300004.jpg
Disqualified! 37cm
P6300009.jpg
Then a 45cm
P6300015.jpg
EVERY fish I landed had managed to spike me .... with a couple of the deeper cuts refusing to stop bleeding! I couldn't believe it! My reel was covered in blood, both my hands, my trousers ......
P6300017.jpg
The other hand was even worse! The cut on the middle finger was pouring blood! The rod handle was so slippery due to the blood ... I kept wiping both hands on my trousers, which were a real mess (I'd forgotten to bring a cloth with me to hold the fish .... hence all the spikes!) :blah:
P6300018.jpg
Then a 38cm jumped on, followed by a 40cm
P6300021.jpg
P6300023.jpg
Then the first of my 'best' of the day .... he came in at 52cm :gu:
P6300025.jpg
I must have found a patch of them, cos the next one was 51cm!
P6300027.jpg
I'd had hits & missed in between ..... I had one nice one almost at yak side when it spat the hook ..... :oops:

I've been catching a heap of bream, flattie & tailor on the Saemi - it runs deeper than the GGs & CJs that I normally use!
P6300029.jpg
P6300031.jpg
I kept casting, hoping for that 'whopper' to jump on board ..... and another 49cm came in
P6300040.jpg
And a couple of small bream (both hands still bleeding - and I WAS washing them in the salt water as well!)
P6300045.jpg
By then, it was late in the day & I cast all the way back to the car ..... without getting any more flatties - so was just SO pleased that I hadn't had a 'donut'! :lek:

Looking forward to the Monthly Bream comp & MUFNs .... I just need to make sure I get out a few more times! :grin:

Well done to everyone who entered the comp ..... it is a great way of getting our members out on the water, competing against each other! Sadly Slim got an injury & had to bail early on the day - so hope he recovers from it soon.

cheers for now

Roberta

Anyone visiting Forster/Tuncurry - give me a yell .... I reckon I've found a good spot for producing flatties! They all came within a 100m 'circle' ..... :wink: and they only became active once the tide had changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arpie on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#3 Post by Ads22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 pm

First of all, thanks Brad for getting another fun competition organised. Well done on the win, too! Very surprised I got on the board, let alone near the top.

My SFC X - Sunday 2 July

It had been a busy week with the boss away and I ended up working the two days that I would normally take off. In fact, I worked the first Wednesday I have worked in years, as well as the Friday I would normally take off following a weekend on call. And of course, those two days were nice ones to be on the water! The forecast for my only days available in the competition window was plenty of wind, but I was keen to get on the water, and had been aching to make up for my doughnut last year!

This year I chose to hit Fishing Creek, knowing that I usually get at least one flathead each time I go there. The wind was up as expected, and this meant my thoughts on heading across the mouth to Waterpark Creek were quashed pretty quickly with very choppy conditions. There had been further erosion at Sandy Point, with vehicle access to the beach from the track almost non-existent. I carried my yak down to the water, and paddled the shallow water around the corner into the channel into Fishing Creek. The wind was tunneling up the channel, so I was aiming to find somewhere a little sheltered until the forecast change in direction a little later in the day.
Deceptive Sunrise_L.jpg
I launched just after first light and made my way to the first mangrove bank where water was still coming off a flat. I cast into the draining channel without a touch, switching between soft vibe and various soft plastics. After about half an hour on the water I skull dragged a little Trevally from the mangroves. At least it was a start. I continued to work the mangroves and the channel but was having trouble getting the plastic to the bottom, despite increasing the weight. I anchored up and flicked a ZX40 into the mangroves and first cast my drag screamed. I knew this only had little assists on it and was worried they’d break if I fought too hard, so was conscious of not overdoing the drag. As the fish raced toward some woodwork, I put a little more pressure on it to steer it clear but the line went slack. I thought I had lost my lure, but a quick look revealed it was still there, and the hooks were intact. It had obviously just pulled clear.
FC Trev 1_L.jpg
Continuing with only a couple of little taps, I moved on across a sandbar toward the next channel, as the tide ran out. I have had success trolling a shallow diver across these flats before and this time I hooked up as I reached the next channel running along another mangrove bank. Soon, I had a Bream in my lap, falling to the peach face Saemi. A quick photo, and tag and release.
20170702_094947_L.jpg
I moved up the bank and anchored up short of a snag I have hit up before with minor success. Casting into the wind, I was just short of casting distance from the snag, but there was underwater structure, from collapsed mangroves, and a drain emptying in near the snag. Fish were showing up on the sounder, too. I was sure there had to be flathead hanging around in here.

I quickly landed a little Trev on the Saemi. I almost hadn’t brought this lure with me, but had just replaced some rusty hooks and changed the rear treble for some assist hooks. After a few nice hits and drops, the Saemi took off again with a silver flash. This had some speed and the 10lb braid was singing as it took off. After a hop, leap and jump, I had a Tarpon in the net, going about 30-35cm.

The area is reasonably popular with anglers on foot, walking the sandbars and pumping yabbies then fishing light for flathead and whiting. A couple of guys came from further up the creek and were not having much luck, but watched as I landed a couple more Tarpon, and dropped a few along the way. At one stage they were quite excited as one leaped and shook me off, they thought it had been a barra. If only!

A short time later the lure took off and a strange fight ensued. I was not overly surprised to see a Barracuda of about 50cm on board. I played it patiently, trying to not lose my lure to the teeth. Just as I grabbed the leader the fish shook free, but my lure was still attached to the line. I re-tied the damaged leader quickly as, while I was getting distracted from the target fish, I was having so much fun. Eventually, I hooked a bigger version, Tarpon number 5. This took a much longer fight, taking a good couple of minutes, the fish going almost 45cm. Amidst all the Tarpon I had lost one of my assist hooks, but was still getting similar hook up rates with one treble and a single assist. I even swapped through a couple of hardbodies, landed one Tarpon on a small Warlock, but went back to the Saemi as it felt a little better on the line.
FC Tarpon Launch 2_L.jpg
FC Tarpon 5_L.jpg
I was still enjoying the regular hits but the walkers had passed me now and one hand landed a nice sized flathead and it got me back to thinking about the target fish. I had still had trouble in the current getting the jigheads down, so went back to the flats. I headed back toward the original mangrove bank and channel. I was sitting in about 30cm of water, casting into the deeper ruts in the sandbar and twitching and rolling back across them. After only a few casts I hooked up. The line peeled quickly, these sand flat fish seem to fight a bit harder I reckon.

I was very happy to see a flathead approach the net! I was patient, knowing I was only on 8lb leader and didn’t want the rakers to rub too hard on it. As the fish approached the net, I scooped the net under the fish, it tail walked briefly (I swear it grew legs and jumped off the shallow bottom) and the lure flung clear. The fish flipped upward, as I followed the lure through the air and dropped the net into the water. As I looked back, my net was lying on the bottom (all 20-30cm of water) and I grabbed at it, hoping I could snare the fish still. I couldn’t see the fish with the sand having stirred up, but as I lifted the net, the fish had landed in it and was still there! BEAUTY! :lol: :lol:
20170702_123630_L.jpg
It wasn’t a monster, but it was one on the board. A pic, tagged and released and I was feeling more positive. It was no doughnut (on the target). I set about casting in the same fashion, and was pretty happy with the little peachface Saemi. Soon after, the line peeled off again and a very brief battle ensued. My GoPro turned on just in time to hear me cursing the drop of a bigger model flathead, my guess in the 50-55cm range. A tail walk out of the shallow water and the lure was set free. :grr:

I was a little crushed, but also buoyed by the fact that I was getting onto the target now. I kept casting into uncovered water and soon landed a little bullet of a whiting going 25cm. As the water was hitting a low, I pulled in another species, landing a 28cm Flounder.
20170702_125845_L.jpg
20170702_131516_L.jpg
I was still aching to land another flatty and the tide was just starting to run back in. I kept on with the Saemi as the little lure was doing plenty of damage. As my GoPro gave up its battery life, I hooked onto something that had more fight in it. This was more weighty and I had to be patient. I was excited when I landed a chunkier Flathead, filling my quota for the day. :grin: I was sheltered from the wind now, and it was quite pleasant, so I kept trying for an upgrade, to no avail.
20170702_132548_S.jpg
At one point, I landed my lure in a tree and the leader snapped as I tried to flick it free. I was fortunate it was a floating lure and was able to retrieve it. I proceeded to land a 23cm cod, followed shortly after by a much harder fighting 33cm model (tagged and released), and another little Trevally tucked away in there somewhere.

For the last little bit I trolled over some freshly covered flats but could not entice any more fish, so made my way back to the launch site. By now, the sea was a mess and I didn’t dare paddling along the shore back to the beach, so pulled my yak through the thick sand across the point, then walked the shore line as the water washed up just enough to drag the yak. It was a challenging trip back to the car, much harder with the degree of erosion of the point and previous car park. I fear without good sand wheels, trips here will continue to be very difficult for launch and landing and may call for the smaller yak in future, for ease of carting!

After about 7 hours in the yak, the tally for the day was 5 Tarpon (and stacks of dropped fish, missed hookups and hits), 3 Trevally, 2 Flathead (and a fat one dropped), 2 Whiting, 2 Estuary Cod, 1 Flounder, 1 Bream and 1 Pike (self-released). And, while I had been initially expecting a poor day on the fishing front, it turned out to be well worth the trip, despite the wind.

I was pretty frustrated at home, having trouble on the computer and getting photos to Brad and was worried I couldn’t get them in for scoring. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, as it was a great day on the yak, but nevertheless, I was a bit miffed. That said, SFC X was very enjoyable and I’m already keen for the next one! Thanks Brad for organising this comp.

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:45 pm

arpie wrote:Anyone visiting Forster/Tuncurry - give me a yell .... I reckon I've found a good spot for producing flatties! They all came within a 100m 'circle' ..... :wink: and they only became active once the tide had changed.
It certainly looks like it arpie! That's a good patch of nice fish! Well done and nice fishing, but nothing I wouldn't expect from you! :grin:

My Saemi was certainly my favourite for the day!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#5 Post by Leper » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 am

This fishing tale comes in two parts really as I initially had the opportunity to have a pre-fish with rocketV before I headed out on my nominated day. I had two possible locations in mind for my competition day and wanted to trial both before heading out on the day to put a few points on the board. A few weeks earlier I had fished Location A with limited success and had organised to fish Location B with Rod on a beautiful Saturday morning. My day with Rod was only going to be a short one encompassing the morning and into the early afternoon and after previous trips to this river last year, that had us both cleaning up on flathead, I was confident of a repeat. I was especially hopeful for Rod as this was his nominated day and he had a lot more riding on it than I did.

We hit the water to perfect conditions and threw out a few speculative casts as we made our way to our favourite little point that had treated us so well last year. As we made our way along likely banks and drop offs the fishing was ominously quiet, with neither Rod or myself getting a touch as we made our way to our chosen destination. When we finally reached it, it wasn't long before I finally hooked up and felt the tell-tale head shakes of a flathead on my line. It wasn't huge but it was a confidence booster even though I managed to drop it after a short fight.
P6240558 (720x540).jpg
It then went disappointingly, very quiet and I moved further up the river exploring the many points and drop-offs in the hope of finding our elusive quarry. Rod then managed his first flathead for the day and was happily on the scoreboard for the SFC and then the fishing died. We literally did not get a touch for most of the rest of the morning.

It wasn't until we headed back to our chosen point that I managed to finally hook up on a solid fish that took drag and towed me around for a bit. After a morning of catching nothing it was a welcome relief, but in truth would have been much better on Rod’s line than mine, sorry mate! At 63cm it would have been a nice way to finish his bag. The only advantage it gave me was a little bit of confidence that I at least was capable of catching fish. That fish was more or less the end of a very slow mornings fishing.
P6240557 (720x540).jpg
P6240561 (720x540).jpg
P6240563 (720x540).jpg
A few days later and my day arrived and after receiving my number from Fleetfeet I was ready and raring to go. These sorts of competitions give the greatest build up to a fishing trip and are a real adrenaline rush with the possibility of glory or dismay. After fishing ten other similar events I knew the optimum score was over 1000 points and this is always my target in any SFC.

I had decided on Location A after a very quiet session with Rod at Location B. Hitting the water early the tides were ok but not perfect and the conditions were absolutely sensational early. Initially I drifted out with the tide but remembered that my previous session at this spot I had done the same and had a very average session and so I decided to fish further upstream on the run out tide.
P6290566 (720x540).jpg
The first hour or so was a little slow and I could feel the nerves kicking in as the premonition of a donut started creeping into my thoughts. After casting at one of my favourite points, with no success, I eventually reached a large creek mouth that often had a few flathead settled in around it’s mouth. After a few casts there was a gentle bump on my line as my SP drifted to the bottom and when I loaded up the rod I knew I was onto a small but welcome flathead. At 32.5cm it wasn't a monster but at the very least I had a score.
P6290567 (720x540).jpg
P6290565 (720x540).jpg
I continued upstream with little action until I reached the next bend in the river. This location has always been another favourite and regularly produces flathead of a good size. The sunny downstream side was a little quiet and although I feathered casts at every depth and angle I initially could not find a fish. It wasn't until I reached the upstream shady side that I finally loaded up on another small flathead at 37cm that completed my bag, quickly followed by an upgrade a few casts later at 41cm. I was now at least happy that I had a score that put me midfield, one of the advantages to running the comp is being aware of the scoreboard.
P6290571 (720x540).jpg
P6290569 (720x540).jpg
P6290573 (720x540).jpg
With a Score of 780 points I was now chasing upgrades and hoping to find a couple of flathead in the 500’s that in past competitions had allowed me to be within range of a final 3 finish. I knew from other competitions that it just took one quality fish to give a competitor a real edge to taking out the SFC. I continued up the same bank and missed a solid hit close to the kayak and failed to set the hooks much to my disappointment. Soon after my Gold 100mm Squidgie Fish was slammed and my rod loaded up really hard. The Flathead immediately headed towards the middle of the river and I was forced to follow as it towed my kayak almost to the opposite bank. I eased off the drag a little once I was away from the mangroves, and was terrified as the flathead approached the surface that I was going to have that gut wrenching moment when lure and fish part ways and the fish would contemptuously swim slowly back to the bottom as I watched.
P6290574 (720x540).jpg
When it reached the surface I knew I had hooked a kicker of a fish. It was really solid and there were a few nervous moments as it found the energy to lunge away from the net a few times before finally succumbing and slipping into the webbing. It was a cracker of a fish and I knew it was going to be a beast to handle and measure on the kayak with no safe place to land and measure. It was a great feeling to realise my 62cm brag board was not going to cut it and I would have to bring in the 1m brag mat to get a reasonable measure. However, I was eventually able to get a few quality photos of a beautiful 68cm Flathead that sent my score skyrocketing into the 1000’s and I knew it was in with a chance.
P6290580 (720x540).jpg
P6290582 (720x540).jpg
At this point I decided to head downstream and the fishing slowed down considerably. Even after I reached a bank that was covered in flathead marks I could not raise any interest. After about an hour I finally hooked up on what looked to be a high 40’s fish that threw the lure at the surface, much to my dismay as it was a definite upgrade. Soon after I managed to net another small flathead of 33cm that didn't have any affect on my score but at the very least gave me a little confidence.
P6290585 (720x540).jpg
P6290586 (720x540).jpg
Then there was a not so subtle change in the weather. The wind came up and it was quite cool and the tide started to pour in. I then had a tinnie troll though the very shallow water and spook any fish sitting in the sun much to my chagrin. That said, this is where the tale ends because for the next five hours I cast and cast for the sum total of nothing, not a touch. I was really hopeful of a fish in the 500’s to send my bag into the 1200’s but my luck had ended. I was satisfied with my score and happy with a solid flattie for my winter season. So ends the tenth SFC, can't wait for the next one!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#6 Post by rocketV » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:55 am

Some quality reports there people, well done.

My SFC was very disappointing indeed.
As Brad mentioned we headed out together to a spot that has previously been a solid producer.

We both had a pretty slow session and I was lucky to escape a donut with a small flathead that ate my Z-Man StreakZ curly tail.
P1030447.JPG
For some reason the fish were either scarce or just not in the mood to eat.
Many casts were made with a vast array of lures, but I could not add to my tally and score.

Oh well, it was good to be on the water and sharing the experience with a mate :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

slim
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

#7 Post by slim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Nice work everyone and thanks to brad for another good event. Sadly mine ended before it even began with me breaking my toe as i was launching. Sort of sums up what my last 18 months has been like
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

#8 Post by nigel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:52 pm

https://youtu.be/H8BVKGlikRM sad to say such a nice day I paddled across the Botany bay from yarra to woolaware & was enjoying the paddle so much I didn't stop to try really but who knows slowed down in the shallows one might have jumped up on my single trolled HB :blah: I had a great day anyway thanks Leper

Nigel
ImageImage

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#9 Post by Mackayak » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 am

Congratulation to Leper for wining and Arpie for her second spot. It was a frustrating day with all the rain the river was dirty so had to fish near the mouth drop the first 2 then only got little Taylor until my one final got on while trolling back to the lunch sit. thanks for running the comp Leper look forward to the year comp :wink:
P7070202.JPG
P7070205.JPG
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Ditto1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: 4m Dream Kayak

#10 Post by Ditto1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Congrats Leper and to all those that landed some nice Flatties well done.. Bring on the Bream.

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#11 Post by hillbilly » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Brad for organising the challenge. I was going to fish in Mooball Creek, Pottsville but the water was still dirty from recent rain so I ventured to Diamond Heads, Coomera where out of four visits there I've caught at least one Flathead each trip. It was a mistake was to take my Revolution 11 which I really dislike for fishing up creeks and in shallow water. My opinion hasn't changed after this trip. I will most likely be selling it sooner than later now as I much prefer the small Hobie "Lanai" purchased over ten years ago for maneuverability and fishability. I fished for a total of five hours for two undersized Flathead but being out on the water is better than working.

Just under two two hours on the water and fishless, I decided to venture up a small creek. It's never that easy in the Revolution but I did manage my first small Flathead.
DH1.JPG
DH3 (a).JPG
It took another hour to catch my second and last fish which was still undersized but a little bigger than the first.
DH5.JPG
Nice to photograph a group of Stilts on the way back to the ramp before midday.
DH6.JPG
My soft plastic of choice is mostly the Gold & Black Squidgy Paddle Tail doctored as per "Bushy".
Congratulations Brad on coming out on top and Roberta, I feel your pain as I have been spiked several times by those damn gill spikes; It just doesn't stop bleeding does it?
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

WayneD
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Any puddle will do
Kayaks: Lots

#12 Post by WayneD » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:57 am

My only available day for fishing was the first Sunday of the comp and even then I only had the afternoon free. I fished the same location as last year when I got a third. Despite the perfect conditions and a run out tide I didn't even get a touch in the four hour window that I had. Oh well that's fishing. I tried everything I had too. Surface, shallow divers, deep divers, soft plastics and vibes. At least I had some beers...and a new Tatula to try out that I have bought for the upcoming Jack season. :grin:
IMG_0407.JPG
Mantra Kayaks Pro-Staffer

Adventure Outlet supporter

Kayaks I have owned: Espri x 2, Nemo x 2, Tempo, Profish, Predator, Outback x 5, Revo x 2, Quest, Swing x 2, Adventure, Loon, Superlite x 6, Superlite X, Sprite, Noa x 2, Coosa, Tarpon 120, Acadia 370, Aspire 100, Mana x 2, Bass, Minnow2, Ultimate 12 Propel, Laker 14 x 2, Sierra 10

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#13 Post by pdfarrell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Fished the 1st Sunday of the comp, which happened to coincide with out Midcoast monthly outing.

Was very quiet early on, went without a touch for the first hour or so bouncing 3" Zman Minnowz along the bottom in the shallows.
Decided to switch over to blades and move out a little deeper. Wasn't long and I had hooked a nice flatty, mid 50's which I lost next to the yak (along with a ZX40).

Wind was starting to pick up, but I kept on throwing blades but nothing wanted to play.

The north westerly started gaining strength, and being on the eastern side of the lake, I didn't have anywhere to hide.
Persisted a little longer, until I almost turned the PA12 into a submarine.
Headed back to the ramp with my tail between my legs to snack on my bitter tasting donut!
VIRB0002-2 %28Custom%29.jpg
Well done to everyone for having a crack, and well done to Brad for organising (and winning!) (again!).

Cheers,
PF

Fleetfeet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast Qld
Kayaks: Spirit Venus, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#14 Post by Fleetfeet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Brad for organising the comp and congratulations for finishing on top…….Congratulations also to Arpie and Ads22.

I headed out for my Fishing day full of excitement thinking I had worked out the tides perfectly and with only a gentle breeze…… Hit the water and it was postcard perfect until I got to my secret spot to find about 7 other tinnies there, I still felt confident as I could go where they couldn’t because of the low water……started full of vigour with my lovely gulp….5 mins in and you beauty first hook up….felt awesome not overly large but I would be on the board and no doughnut…….That was until he was at the side of my yak and I tried 3-4 times to net him before he spat the hook…..Cursing my stupidity and seeing how many people were watching I felt very embarrassed with my netting technique…..Chin up and lets go again…..over 30 minutes later on again….this time I missed him with the net totally giving him a poke with the net to help the bugger get off…..yep one of those days….2hours later nothing to show for all of my casting, swapping lures, going back to my old faithful swapping again nothing seemed to work…..until about 3hour after my last attempt hell yeah a big hit….I’m on but just as quick I was off…..Now the pressure was on I had to be home in the next 2 and had zero on the board, headed to my last spot full of the thought about the dreaded doughnut and yes on again this time I couldn’t risk the net so straight to the yak…35cm small but a flattie, then within 8 minutes another one…using the same technique as before I had landed 2 flatties on the yak….2nd one 39cm… Very happy that I landed 2 but I’m still yet to net a fish on the Hobie, I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong there but at least I caught a couple.

ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

#15 Post by ronaldo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Congrats to you Brad, 680 is a good flattie, and thanks organising the event again.

I fished the runout tide so had a leisurely launch a bit after 8am
Began trolling a Damiki DTSCO while heading to the shallow water, gone about 100metres and think I'm snagged, headed back to retrieve the lure and realise I'm gaining line. Finished up pulling in a rod and reel :beye:
only a cheapy outfit so I chucked it on the bank. Next up a small bream, all in the first 20 minutes.
Spent the next hour and half with zero then a flattie about 150mm who managed to find my thumb and I spent the next 10 minutes rinsing blood off everything. :grr:
Kept seeing the odd puff of mud as I floated over the flats and eventually got one to measure :grin:
By about 12.30 No.2 was measured so I was now looking to upgrade. Alas, it didn't happen.
The tide had turned so I started working my way back up river over the sand/mud flats, I slowly peddled along trolling a Napjaru and flicking the DTSCO out in front of me when just as the lure hit the water and I began to wind... bang !! I'm on and I saw a flash of silver so no flattie :grr: At the same time the other rod in the holder bent over and the drag whirred. After a few exciting minutes I had a nice bream in the net and now to deal with the other rod. I had no idea what I had on thinking maybe a salmon but after about 4-5 minutes turned out to be a good bully mullet with the treble attached just above its eye...it really tested my gear.
At one stage through the day I was peddling along in a channel about 2m deep looking at the bottom when I thought I saw a huge flattie, not convinced I was seeing things I spun around for another look...returning just in time to see the biggest bloody croc I've even seen wag her tail and move off......reckon she'd have just about won the comp on her own. :roll:
P7060101 (Medium).JPG
P7060103 (Medium).JPG
2017-07-10 006 (Medium).JPG
2017-07-10 002 (Medium).JPG
:bye:
Ron
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”