Shark deterent system test suggestions

This is the main discussion forum.

Shark deterent system test suggestions

Postby CanuckChubbs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:48 pm

I love fishing, from shore, kayak, any where I can wet a line. And the idea of a shark taking an interest in me or my kayak is somewhat concerning. After significant research, I decided to get the Shark Shield. Expensive...yes. Does it work, I think so. After watching and reading testimonials from members of both kayak fishing sites.

Now we have other companies that are marketing similar devices with same claims. I don't doubt their research or credibility anymore than I doubt Shark Shields.

Here is the kicker, I have watched numerous videos from both websites. Most of them have several people in the water, cameras, almost like a Hollywood movie set. Wouldn't that naturally deter sharks?

Long story short....take a seal, attach a shark deterrent device and see what happens. Use it in Africa, Australia, wherever. If that works than I will be 94% convinced. As of now, it is still just a piece of mind (approx 65%).

Anyone else have a testing suggestion for these companies making $$$ from poor people who just want to catch a fish?
CanuckChubbs
KFDU 500 Club

Local Fishing Region: Newcastle area
Kayaks: Had: more then I can remember. Have: Stealth BFS

Re: Shark deterent system test suggestions

Postby slim » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm

THe best test was one I did by accident. Caught a small shark, left the shield on (forgot it was on) I couldnt get the shark near me. Turn it off and the shark could be pulled against the yak. I held it there and turn the shield back on. A second later it very quickly and violently tried to get away, breaking the line in doing so. THat was enough proof for me.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.
slim
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Postby BrettoQld » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:26 am

I forked out the cash for one (SS Freedom 7) about a month ago. I guess it's a piece of mind thing. I've never been harassed by a big one being predominately an estuary fisho (I've had one smack the bottom of my yak fishing at the Pine, but nothing came of it). I have an ambition to start venturing further out in open water and currently I don't think I have the stones to keep it together if a big shark took an interest in me.

I doubt it'll ever get to the stage where I'd use it in anything but open water. I'm planning to fish Double Island Point early next year. It'll act as the metaphorical shot of whiskey for fishing the area. Knowing I have it there will mean one less thing I need to worry about.

I looked at a lot of testing footage before choosing a model and purchasing it. I even spoke with my old man about it, who I figured would talk me out of it and even he said grab one. I see it as an insurance policy of sorts. I guess that's my way of justifying the cost, but whatever works for you I guess.
Cheers,
Bretto
BrettoQld
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Esky Lid

Postby agz67 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:47 am

some dude said to me if ya get one around ya dump a heap of shampoo or conditioner in the water hahah...not sure wat the go with that is...anyone else heard of this or was the dude crazy???
yak pbs: bream 46cm, flathead 85cm, squire 37cm, whiting 42cm, bass 35cm
agz67
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: lake macquarie
Kayaks: hobie outback, malibu mini x

Postby dirty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 pm

http://www.lureaddicts.com - FeelFree Kayaks Pro Team
dirty
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven, NSW
Kayaks: FeelFree Lure 13.5

Postby nqkayaktours » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 pm

dirty wrote:http://vimeo.com/32551025

WOw. You dont get much closer than that. Plastic obviously dont taste any good. :wink: Which is why it probably didnt come back for another go. Keeps we wondering tho, if it is the hobie fin system attracting in the first place. Looks like a seal?????????????????????????????

agz67 wrote:ya dump a heap of shampoo or conditioner in the water

Wouldnt be that if it happened to me. But i would be a lot lighter. :lol: :lol:

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours
nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

Postby homan4053 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:45 am

I have yet to hear of anyone actually been bitten in australia by a shark and have seen vids of them in the sydney harbour !But if you were that worried then don't go out at all !! Now I've said that asharks gunna get me !!haha
homan4053
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

Postby Bestyak » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:27 pm

You cant not go out..... that's what this is all about, bring the shark shield if thta's what it takes to wet a line in your local waters. :gu:
Cheers
Laurent
Bestyak
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: OK Prowler 13 & Native Mariner 12.5

Postby Dangerous Dave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Bestyak wrote:You cant not go out..... that's what this is all about

Exactly!!! We come within sometimes a metre of a head on collision with another car several times every day and no-one gives it a second thought. We walk in long grass where there could be snakes with only a slightly cautious approach but we turn to jelly at the mere thought of getting in the water where a shark may be swimming... Don't worry, I do it too :roll:

Another link: http://www.kayakanglermag.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1248%3Athe-tax-man-cometh&catid=68%3Akao-features&Itemid=2
Dangerous Dave
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Far South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13 (Lizard Lick )

Postby whatthe? » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:03 pm

I've been windsurfing most weekends for 30 years now in both Sydney around Middle Harbour (Balmoral Beach, Clontarf) and more recently The Broadwater and Wellington Point in Qld. Never seen a shark or been present when any one else has either! Recently bought first fishing kayak and surprised to hear the concern about sharks. Should I be if fishing Brisbane estuaries and may be Moreton Bay and keeping my catch above water so not to attract any of these critters. Thought only small bull sharks in these waters any way. Have you guys had many encounters on your yaks as now you got me worried?
Cheers
whatthe?
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: brisbane,Queensland, logan river gold & sunshine coast
Kayaks: 3.0 kingfisher tomahawk single sit on, pretty basic 1st purchase.

Postby Digger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:53 am

agz67 wrote:some dude said to me if ya get one around ya dump a heap of shampoo or conditioner in the water hahah...not sure wat the go with that is...anyone else heard of this or was the dude crazy???

What brand?
Digger
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: E.G. to Sth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Yaks Gone Tinny Now

Postby timthegrin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:14 am

just gunna put this out there if the shark deterent systems puts sharks off could it not put the fish off as well
timthegrin
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: central coast
Kayaks: bass austalias

Return to Main