New Yak Fly Bream PB ..... 35.5cm!

Discuss all fly fishing topics here.

New Yak Fly Bream PB ..... 35.5cm!

Postby arpie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi guys

I headed out on Xmas Eve, to have another go at Fly Fishing from yak ..... and chose the worst possible scenario ....... almost dead low tide in a very shallow area of The Keys!! I'd parked away from the boat ramp & put in, thinking it wouldn't be too bad!! WRONG~!! :roll:

I had to 'walk' the yak for ages before I could even sit on it!! :?: I FINALLY got onto the yak but could only 'flutter' the mirage drive - it was a real pain as I headed towards one of the canals to try & fish in there. However, on the way, it got WAY too shallow & I had to climb out to 'walk' the yak across the final weed area between me and the deeper water! Well - did I get a surprise!! :idiot:

Stepping out, my left leg sunk into the mud almost up to my crotch!! At the same time, I tried to use my other leg to 'lever' the left leg out of the quagmire! :beye: It didn't work! :roll: Now, BOTH legs were caught in the mud up to my crotch! Oh dear!! I am a out in the middle!! Luckily my phone in my pocket was in a waterproof housing ..... or it would have been stuffed! :blah:

I used my stakeout poles to anchor the yak, so I had leverage to try & get my legs out of the muck! It worked! I slowly managed to pull my legs out of the sucking mud and didn't even lose my shoes!! :lek: Lesson learned!! DON'T WALK on areas that are covered with weed!! :roll:

Then I went 'a-fishing' in the canals!! I was casting topwater flies & once again, I was getting hits, but not hookups! :oops: I DID actually hook up to one nice bream & almost got it to the yak - but within a rod length of the yak - it got off! :grr: Another hit was really quite spectacular & I felt the weight of a good fish - but it also got off! :beye:

I DID get pretty good at hooking unmarked crab pots! :grr: Pain in the proverbial!! No floating markers to indicate that they are there - so it is very easy to actually damage your mirage drive fins as well! :devil: Whenever I see crab pots like this - if I can, I relocate them to shore or just stand them up on their sides to alert anyone else to the fact they are there! Most are abandoned & have been there for months! :grr:
PC240004.jpg

Yet Another one!
PC240007.jpg

Heaps of hits & misses followed until I finally hooked my 3rd bream on fly - hardly one to write home about - it was all of about 8cm! :lol: ! :?:
PC240005.jpg

Finally the tide turned & the water started flooding into the area again!! :gu: I started fishing the edges again & got hits on topwater lures. I cast towards the edge of the bay & get a great strike!! I immediately feel good weight & know that I am onto a good fish!! :lek: As I slowly get it to the yak, it dives into the weed, trying to rub me out! Luckily I won the fight!! :gu: The netted fish came on board with a lot of weed decoration!
PC240008.jpg

It was a chunky fish ...... easily in the mid 30s!
PC240011.jpg

It went 35.5cm ..... a new PB for Yak Fly caught Bream!! :lek:
PC240012.jpg

I was STOKED!! I think I have turned the corner on this fly fishing caper ..... I still do 'stuffed' casts now & then - but am doing more & more 'better quality ones' in between ...... so that is good!! I find when I start doing TOO MANY stuffed casts - it is time to pack away the fly gear & grab the spin gear! :grin:

Which was when I hooked this nice flattie! :lol: It went about 45cm!!
PC240014.jpg

So all up - altho not that many fish were landed - the 2 main ones were 'quality'!! :wink:

It was a great 'early Xmas present' - I can't wait to start catching fish on a more regular basis!!

cheers & thanks for reading!

Roberta

Statistics are a fascinating thing ....... I can quite honestly say that 50% of my 4 x fly caught bream have been 35cm or over!! (But this doesn't show the thousands of casts that lead to the capture of these 4 bream! LOL :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: New Yak Fly Bream PB ..... 35.5cm!

Postby Jamie D » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:36 pm

PB ! Gotta love that well done
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

Postby Bwak » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am

Well done ... top job!
Bwak
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast

Postby windy_kid » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Nice work! I just bought a few new flies and I got one that looks like yours, can't wait to try out the top water fly.

How do you do your retrieve?
windy_kid
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Bayside

Postby arpie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks guys! As I said - it is a cast of thousands for not many fish! LOL Hopefully I will get better at it before too long!! :roll:

...How do you do your retrieve?....

Good luck, WIndy kid ..... with my 2 bigger fish it was 'placement' rather than 'retrieve' - both times, the fly landed RIGHT under the edge of an overhanging tree onto the water ..... and the fish just whacked it!! Other times, it's just been an erratic retrieve with pauses - trying to imitate my topwater lure retrieve!

So if you work on accuracy of casting, you'll get more hits than just haphazardly casting in all directions. Basically I try to cast the fly to the same area that I would put my topwater lure - as close to the edges of canals as I can .... or structure ..... where I think the bream are hiding out! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year

Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Postby Freewily » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Woooo Hoooo! Well done Roberta. Nice fish! :lek:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!
Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Postby Rodney W » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 am

Good stuff Roberta . The fly looks like a Gurgler with a rubber tail instead of Marabou. It looks like it will survive many bream and flattie attacks.

Rod
Rodney W
KFDU Angler

Local Fishing Region: Muswellbrook Glenbawn Dam and Glennies Creek Dam
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

Postby justforfun » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Nice , and here I am stuck at work till next month.cheers justforfun
pb flathead 86cm bream36.5cm bass 46cm fl wild, 44 cm fl dam, whiting 39cm,carp 55cm,EP 20cm,tailor 47cm. fly caught 72cm carp Fly caught dam bass 43.5cm fl, fly caught golden perch 41cm, lure caught 50cm fly caught bream 31cm fly caught Ep 25cm fly caught flatty 42cm barramundi fly caught 60cm.silver trevally 60cm
Member of the mid coast kayak fishing club
justforfun
KFDU 1000 Club

Local Fishing Region: lower hunter region member of Mid Coast Kayak fishing club
Kayaks: hobie outback R.I.P. now Revo Its blu too Rip New revo Not Fragile!!

Return to Fly Fishing