This is the main discussion forum.
nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski

my new toy for trolling

#1 Post by nigel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 pm

dd3 max.png
Just picked this up 5M long unlike other surf ski,s Ive owned/paddled this one feels solid as stable enough to fish from so 1 starport will go behind the seat ow & being re-enforced stiff plastic not quite so fast but a bit more robust than other glass/carbon ski,s I've owned.I know slot (in joke).

Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

Re: my new toy for trolling

#2 Post by laneends » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Looks a tad nippy

DaveBeat
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Northern Beaches
Kayaks: Pro Fisha

#3 Post by DaveBeat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Willbe interesting to see how it performs loaded up on a big king

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#4 Post by nigel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:46 pm

DaveBeat wrote:Willbe interesting to see how it performs loaded up on a big king
LOL yes it will its more a paddle play yak longy sxxt or bust no chance but Botany legs over side medium drag will be fun & laneends nippy not the fastest but a good speed stability compromise

Nigel
ImageImage

ocean1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: syd

#5 Post by ocean1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Or getting back on board with a inflated life jacket :lol:

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#6 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 pm

That looks like it is going to be a fun paddle.

I get that you would fish from it. Some nut cases even manage to fish offshore from spec skis :lol: .

People on this forum vary between two extremes: Those that paddle purely as a means to get to the fish; and, Those that fish purely as something else to do whilst paddling.

I believe you are closer to the second in approach.

What is good is that the 'paddler first' types can learn from the fishers, and the 'fishing first' types can learn from the paddlers.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#7 Post by laneends » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:
What is good is that the 'paddler first' types can learn from the fishers, and the 'fishing first' types can learn from the paddlers.
I believe this too. Fishing just gives me an agenda to go kayaking. The important thing is they get the right kayak(s) to suit each persons needs. Hence the wide variety available

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#8 Post by nigel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 am

laneends wrote:
NorthSIKer wrote:
I believe this too. Fishing just gives me an agenda to go kayaking. The important thing is they get the right kayak(s) to suit each persons needs. Hence the wide variety available
Yep I started in about 2001 all about the fish on a std 2.7M long with plenty of primary & little secondary which worked for a few months till I wanted bigger faster more gear FF anchor trolley ex ex ex more space over time things have got longer &thinner more back to basics had a good few glass but with age & instability am back on the more forgiving plastics still have a fleet of 3 dag midway fishing ski,cobra expedition a touring yak ,and this one for ? Well FUN I guess ) will fit 1 starport & a paddle holder a lot of the time it’s a few Ks with GPS tracker & headphones before my arvo shift (1 small HB dragged behind is an extension if I get a couple of Tailor for the smoker after work all the better)

Nigel
phpgzDNLzPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#9 Post by nigel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:08 pm

phpjaK2AxPM.jpg
Well she,s meeting all expectations out yesterday "fartlek training" (Swedish term for exercise involving different levels of intensity) maxed out at 11.2Khr thats faster than I've done on glass or carbon previously, for me the speed/stability balance works well in the past when I've tried to give surf ski,s the "black pig " I've more often than not ended up swimming :oops: & have done this circuit in 75mins love the sound of the Venturi scupper gurgling at 8Ks/hr where unlike other ski,s I can just enjoy the paddle without the constant concentrating on body position & the catch OK its not as solid as a Stealth but hey its not designed to be.

Nigel
ImageImage

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#10 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:45 pm

But did you troll a lure? :?:

Never a bad days fishing when you are enjoying the padding. Nice work.

I sometimes think I would like to get a fast multi-sport kayak - something like a Grafton Paddle Sports Time Bandit. Something as fast as most surf skis but able to be rolled. Paddle it with a slick carbon fibre Greenland Paddle just to be more different and maybe enter a few ocean races.

But I don't get enough spare time as I like as it is to paddle my current kayak. Maybe oneday when the kids are older.

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#11 Post by nigel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 am

[quote="NorthSIKer"]But did you troll a lure

Not fitted rail blazer/s yet still deciding locations up front central or a distance behind cockpit to avoid compromise of paddle stroke working out how best to deal with the strike either front mount or feet over sides & twist to grab rear mounted maybe add both & see which works.

Nigel
ImageImage

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#12 Post by nigel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 am

Can’t help myself this bottom end stellar ski is so much fun & at about 12.5Kg this old(er) man can manage it no rod holder for sure
470729DA-5C16-4201-BA34-93A16E1E6E0F.jpeg
ImageImage

Return to “Main”