education of new imergrants to fishing rules.

This is the main discussion forum.
Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

education of new imergrants to fishing rules.

#1 Post by Beardypaul » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:44 pm

After an outing this morning to lake Illawarra, where I launched on the south side of the bridge behind the island on the west of the main road. it's a little dirt launch area that is out of the main current. I noted on arrival that there was a cardboard sign attached to the fence post near the car park, stating types of shellfish in the area that are banned from collection.
However when I returned to put the yack back on the box trailer, I was confronted with several families of new Australians loading plastic baskets full these same shellfish into their cars. I was unable to communicate with these people as I am not bilingual. Question, as our fisheries department are short staffed and can not man every area of concern, can anyone think of a way to educate these people prior to irreversible damage being done?

sharknett
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Adventure

Re: education of new imergrants to fishing rules.

#2 Post by sharknett » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Notify fisheries of the rego number and let them sort it out.

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

#3 Post by Pete49 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:08 pm

or a baseball bat. Quite a few understand and read english when they need to. You'll find they are more than likely well aware that their actions are illegal but use the no speak/read english to ignore you. I believe the NSW police can act on this if not they should be allowed to deal with them. :grr:

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Beardypaul » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:31 pm

I think this could be a cultural thing, I am one of those people who believe there is only one race, the human race. But there are many cultures and these cultures take a generation or two to adjust to our culture of living sustainably. trying to leave the place in a good condition for our kids. only taking what we need, hence this morning I got 9 whiting and one Bream, all on size 6 circle hook on 2 kg line . all returned unharmed. This has happened before with the Greeks in the 1960s, then the Vietnamese in the 1980s. Now however the growth rate of our population is so fast and in numbers so big, we may not be able to wait 30 years, for them to adjust to our culture. Also we now have multiculturalism that promotes dividing our country rather than bringing it together as one culture, of tolerance and peace.
As to parsing it onto the police, I believe they presently have their hands full with the state of emergency in NSW. and direct violence with a baseball bat is not setting a good example for the small kids they had helping their parents collect the shellfish.
I was hoping that there was someone out there who knows of a government department or other means of passing the message onto these new Australians, of this countries ethos towards our natural environment. As we don't want it to end up looking like the one they have left.

zarbs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Albany Western Australia
Kayaks: Outback

#5 Post by zarbs » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Good luck with that. Hard enough to get people that do speak & read English to do the right thing :grr: Otherwise we wouldn't need Fisheries :grin:

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#6 Post by Paulioq » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:27 am

i use to not be able to not say something but now days i just get my phone out start pretending to use an app "just up dateing my face book" (suckers i dont even have face book) and i take a video that capture them and there vehicle for rego and i ring fisharies and say i have photos/video etc and describe the incident. you'll get the usual speil send it through etc but do follow it through because the people who brake the rules are habitual offenders with repeating habits and fisheries do act if only in the reduced capacity they do at times.

also they seem to go hard on mulusc and worm collection allong the wynnum fore shore, while eating lunch there i scene 3 old guys walk out in waders to the low tide mark and start turning over sod to find some worms. this has been baned for a long while (20 years+) and well posted. its why the area use to stiink at low tide when every man and his dog use to worm the foreshore. also the sea grass has grown back now with the sand on top not always being disturbed with a pitch fork has done wonders for the sea life. well any way that was a rant but i dobed em in to fisheries after haveing a mini fit eating my salad role. and they actually acted preety quick by the time i finished lunch they had a council truck there with some one walking out to atleast adress them being there, i didnt hang around but being a protected area maybe its under council aswell as fisheries.

just report them specialy if there obviously/blatantly takeing to much. if you say something you can invite your self to a confrontation with them and if fisheries go to the house the rego is at and find more then 50 shells etc there gone, also all new laws with reduced totals. you would be suprised they probably know exactly what there doing is wrong but just dont care. and a ticket or warning is a good motivator to find out if what your doing is legit next time out. fisheries are good with bilingual they can make sure they understand

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Beardypaul » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Thanks, Paulioq I think I will adapt the idea of harassing the local council, they have been riding high on money from the building boom. They also look after the parkland near the launch areas, so they must have an environmental protection officer, I will endeavour to find out his or her contact details, so I can see if we can get some action on these people before irreversible damage is done.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#8 Post by Paulioq » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:45 pm

umm i rang fisheries not council. council must have come out at request of fisheries. just wanted to clear that up best thing to do is to get there rego and give it to fisheries and let them handle it they have all the resources of goverment and local council

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#9 Post by Freewily » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Beardypaul. That launch spot is exactly the area that I started fishing when I was a kid in the early 70s. It was only a 10 minute walk from my parents place. It had more bush along the foreshore then so if you drove by on the roadway you wouldn't normally see anyone fishing there.
They removed the bushland to lay sewerage pipes.
It was my poddy mullet ground. Had so much fun catching them. Occasionally I would catch a big mullet as well.
Just yesterday I saw quite a few of these people collecting cockles when I drove past to go home from my fishing session. And it was a Monday. Half the car park was taken up by them. The locals are up in arms about it. And Fisheries have already warned & fined some of them.
Just the day before I heard that 2 people were fined a total of $27,000 after they were found trying to sell cockles online.
I thought the sign was on the bag limit not about the banning of taking shellfish. I will have to re read the sign.
Anyway. I think it's a downward spiral to a point that getting a bag limit of cockles will be a rare thing just like the bag limit of prawns & fish in Lake Illawarra.
I also think the pro fisherman will take advantage of this if they find out that they are of high value.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Beardypaul » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:14 am

Hi Freewily, it is a poor reflection on our society that we will spend more money on protecting a commercial image, than protecting a natural resource. good to hear that the locals are being vocal on this issue, let's hope that someone is hearing them.

Return to “Main”