Shark shield or not to shark shield??

This is the main discussion forum.
GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

Re: Shark shield or not to shark shield??

#16 Post by GlassedOff » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:23 am

yaqdoq wrote:I have been fortunate enough to come across a couple of Grey suit CEO's and have purposefully continued to calmly paddle on my original line or paddle at the shape to investigate .
Why would you do that you wonder ,
I believe paddling away hard would make the grey suited wonder why this animal suddenly wants to flee and is sending out distress signals making it more curious and fired up .
Many years ago I had a shark use my plastic as a rubbing post . It was WAY larger than the plastic and the dorsal came to my armpit . There is no realistic way to out paddle any critter in the sea , even the humble squid is faster than me . I believe being calm sends out "vibes" ( been working in Bellingen for too long ) that does not aggravate the big critters .

But then there will be those that are just plain nasty no matter what ...
Makes a lot of sense Paul being an apex predator,would be the same as running from a big cat i guess it would invoke that "ooh something to play with" kind of reaction
Chris
PB's so far from yak
Spottie mackerel 85cm
Spanish mackerel 130cm
Longtail Tuna 120cm
Mangrove jack 31cm
Estuary cod 48cm
bream 38cm Bream on fly 25cm
Squire 63cm
flattie 58cm
impoundment Bass 33cm fl
Bass on fly-37cm fl
Mulloway 85cm
Spangled Emperor 70cm
Cobia 118cm

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#17 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Interesting read. Food for thought.

The term 'acceptable risk' comes to mind when comparing the shark attack risk for a kayaker to the 'death by car' risk for anyone who drives/commutes on our roads today.

Does anyone here know the stats for kayakers injured or killed by sharks around the Australian coastline?
Pretty low I suspect.

However if a 'shark shield' provides adequate psychological confidence, then it better to use one of these devices than to allow the fear of a shark attack in your kayak/ski to keep you from enjoying a relaxed time on the water.

There's probably many more dangerous and/or deadly drivers on our roads than 'dangerous' sharks in our oceans and rivers.

Can the use of statistics and logic help aleviate these types of fears?

Perhaps vehicles that drive autonomously are the future equivalent to "shark shields" for our roads. Time will tell.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Battler
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Malibu Pro Explorer

#18 Post by Battler » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:57 pm

I have never personally paddled Fraser and don't have any experience with shark shield, but I do know Fraser.
I've been fishing Fraser land based literally since I've been able to walk and more recent have done a fair bit of fishing in platypus bay out of a stink boat and can confirm there is a LOT of sharks up there.

That's not to say they're all aggressive but I've seen a bronze whaler actually beach itself chasing tailor and been stalked by a 3m+ hammerhead in the boat.
So while I can't speak for the effectiveness of the shark shield, I would definitely at least advise being more cautious up there than I would most places e.g. Not putting feet in the water while fishing, berleying an area or letting fights go on any longer than I had to :roll:

Fishing can be absolutely incredible up there though so good luck!
About as useful as mudguards on a tortoise.

ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

#19 Post by ShortyK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:35 pm

This hadn't even crossed my mind Chris until now :grr: :wink:
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.

GlassedOff
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld, or anywhere I can hook a fish :)
Kayaks: Hobie revo13, Stealth profisha525

#20 Post by GlassedOff » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:39 pm

ShortyK wrote:This hadn't even crossed my mind Chris until now :grr: :wink:
Mate Mehi has been kind enough to offer me a loan of his for the trip so just fish close-ish to me if you want we'll all have radios so as long as you're within sight I'd be more than happy to paddle over :wink:
Chris
PB's so far from yak
Spottie mackerel 85cm
Spanish mackerel 130cm
Longtail Tuna 120cm
Mangrove jack 31cm
Estuary cod 48cm
bream 38cm Bream on fly 25cm
Squire 63cm
flattie 58cm
impoundment Bass 33cm fl
Bass on fly-37cm fl
Mulloway 85cm
Spangled Emperor 70cm
Cobia 118cm

ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

#21 Post by ShortyK » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:43 pm

GlassedOff wrote:
ShortyK wrote:This hadn't even crossed my mind Chris until now :grr: :wink:
Mate Mehi has been kind enough to offer me a loan of his for the trip so just fish close-ish to me if you want we'll all have radios so as long as you're within sight I'd be more than happy to paddle over :wink:
Thanks Chris, nice work on the loan Dave. :cool:

I am not much of a feed anyway, although that seems to be changing all the time. :roll:
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.

CAV
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Deception Bay/ Redcliffe / Bribie Island
Kayaks: Bandit 550 Fisha Profisha 525

#22 Post by CAV » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Bring one for piece of mind if you want, but you probably won't use it.

I saw 3 sharks the whole time we were up there last time, the bull shark dougie caught off the beach, a whaler wala caught and a small reefy which was cruising the shallows near ngala.

Honestly you should worry about the dolphins more, dirty fish and bait stealing bastards....

Dreadfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

#23 Post by Dreadfish » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:17 am

rayl
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth 525

#24 Post by rayl » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:35 pm

He was just hungry...you`ll be right :lol:

JMB
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra-South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie PA12

#25 Post by JMB » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Hundreds of surfers out daily. Multiply that by 7 days in a week. Busier on the weekends and summer. The odd fatal attack with thousands in the water even just over a weekend. Legs dangling, peeing in the water, wetsuits, splashing.

We get sharks all the time where I live. Shark shield on a kayak - you'd have to be pretty darn unlucky to get done given the odds mentioned above. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night, or shall I say, paddle easier.

To be honest, we need car driving shields - there are way more F*cktards on the roads these days (I nearly die on average once or twice a week due to idiots breaking every rule in the book just because they are compensation for something small I gather) than any amount of grey suited swimmer in the seas!

CanuckChubbs
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Newcastle area
Kayaks: Had: more then I can remember. Have: Tandem Island

#26 Post by CanuckChubbs » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 am

I've fished from my yak for years in and around Sydney, alone out wide and always had my shark shield (Freedom 7). I am still here now, so apparently it works...or id doesn't, it is debateable. It is like car insurance, I would rather have it then not and risk the alternative. For the price, used ~300 and new ~600 it is a small investment considering some reels cost that much and people do not leash those to their kayaks (willing to loose them).

From experience at Bellambi a few years ago, there were 3 of us out on yaks, a fairly large GW came up to say hello. I did not have my SS on at the time and it literally swam underneath my kayak and it appeared the size of a submarine. I turned on the SS, the other two paddlers and myself cuddled up for a bit and the fellow circled and left but it did not come any closer to us. Even though we had fish on the yaks. So...I would rather have it as a peace of mind than not.

If another member is offering to loan it out, take the opportunity and use it. :lek:

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#27 Post by nigel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:31 am

..I would rather have it as a peace of mind than not.

bloke I used to fish with reckoned it must work cus he had never seen a shark when using his hmmmm but he never saw an elephant either so it must be an elephant shield as well :shout:
ImageImage

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#28 Post by Plakkyboat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:08 pm

JMB wrote:Hundreds of surfers out daily. Multiply that by 7 days in a week. Busier on the weekends and summer. The odd fatal attack with thousands in the water even just over a weekend. Legs dangling, peeing in the water, wetsuits, splashing.

We get sharks all the time where I live. Shark shield on a kayak - you'd have to be pretty darn unlucky to get done given the odds mentioned above. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night, or shall I say, paddle easier.

To be honest, we need car driving shields - there are way more F*cktards on the roads these days (I nearly die on average once or twice a week due to idiots breaking every rule in the book just because they are compensation for something small I gather) than any amount of grey suited swimmer in the seas!
Well said JMB

I can't provide proof that SS really works but I do believe that our children and grandchildren and perhaps even truckies will one day wonder how their ancestors (us) survived without autonomous driver-less vehicle systems.

Still, there can never be enough "white pointers" on the beach.... :lek: :lek:
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midcoast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#29 Post by ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:24 pm

JMB wrote:Hundreds of surfers out daily. Multiply that by 7 days in a week. Busier on the weekends and summer. The odd fatal attack with thousands in the water even just over a weekend. Legs dangling, peeing in the water, wetsuits, splashing.

LOL....... Now that is an idea, I can just see it now.

CROUD FUNDING:
New business venture for the research and development of a "F*cktard Shield"
Marine model tested by kayakers on hoon jetskiers LOL
Income potential $$$$$$$$$$$

JMB
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra-South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Hobie PA12

#30 Post by JMB » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm

ScuLL&fIsHbOnEs wrote:

LOL....... Now that is an idea, I can just see it now.

CROUD FUNDING:
New business venture for the research and development of a "F*cktard Shield"
Marine model tested by kayakers on hoon jetskiers LOL
Income potential $$$$$$$$$$$

I better go and Patent it now, I may have figured out how to repay all my fishing debt.

I have friends who spearfish all the time and use shark shields, having said that, they regularly get sharks swim right up to them.
A little shark shield won't stop a great white in attack mode either, let alone a tiger, bully, or anything. Sure it's piece of mind, but i'd rather accept the risk (and save the $) and deal with it being a one in a million chance (sure those bellambi guys dont see it every day) I have seen more sharks at bellambi surfing the point there.

Like i said, whatever floats anyone's boat...or yak.

Return to “Main”