Wobbly kayak

This is the main discussion forum.
Gasg
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Wobbly kayak

#1 Post by Gasg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Or more to the point I feel wobbly on it.

I have a secondhand Perception Swing, which I've always liked the look of and everyone tells me they're a good yak. My previous kayak was a Viking Tempo II so it was super stable. But the Swing, even though I'm sitting low in the water (getting a wet behind) feels very unstable. It's not too bad when I'm actually paddling, it tracks pretty straight, but when I'm at rest it feels like it could tip at any moment and even more so when I'm casting. If the current pushes me around and I need to turn the yak to face my line I feel like I could go for a swim at any moment.

So my questions are in your opinion:

1) Will I eventually get used to it and get better balanced and therefore should stick with it or;
2) Am I better off selling it to someone who already has better balance and look around for another yak that might be more stable for me?

All answers and opinions welcome. It's sitting in the garage doing nothing due to me not wanting to go for a swim so I need to do something, either go out in it a few times with no fishing gear and try to get used to it, or save myself the time and effort and switch to something else.

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

Re: Wobbly kayak

#2 Post by Lazybugger » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Yes you should get used to it.

Ask JamieD how he went transferring from the prowler to the Stealth Evo. And then from the Evo to the Pro fisha. He swam. A lot :lol:

lantana
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#3 Post by lantana » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Hi Gasg, The swing is a great kayak both on lakes and off shore stick with it you will get the hang of it, i have no doubt Dodge a member here will jump in and give great advise he is a swing man from way back

cheers
Eric
Lantana.

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

#4 Post by Pete49 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Its a getting used to it thing. They are a great yak and if I had the chance I'd grab one.....oops I have :lol: Just practice minus the fishing gear to get the feel of it then there be no stopping you. Once it warms up you can enjoy the swimming :egrin:

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#5 Post by Edstar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Just stick with it , 3 trips in ur swing u won't have a wobble left and u'll be standing up and casting :lol: .

Try capsizing it so u know its limits as well. IN the shallows of course with no gear. Also until u get use to it stick ur feet over the side. One on each side like a horse when stationary a fishing. It should make u feel more stable.

Edstar.

andybear
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Stealth Evo465

#6 Post by andybear » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Pretty sure you will be ok.

I am no expert, but I believe it is a matter of primary and secondary stability. Most kayaks feel somewhat wobbly when you first try them out, You will likely find that if you start to lean to one side on purpose, the secondary stability seems apparent and you will find you have to lean a long way to make it actually capsize. You will likely be surprised to see how far you have to lean to make it happen. The teetering feeling just sitting there is common to most. Find some safe water, where you feel confident, and see just how far you can lean.

Cheers andybear :lol: :lol:
When in trouble, delegate. When in doubt, mumble

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#7 Post by laneends » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:06 pm

When stationary straddle it with your legs,like sitting on a surfboard, most people with narrow yaks do this. Then you can focus on the fishing rather than not worrying about falling out every time there is a ripple or you grab something from behind.

As others have said go out with no gear and keep tipping and rentering. Then at least it feels like no big deal if you do tip. Most of it is perception anyway.

Only yak I have fallen out of was one that never felt like it was going to tip. Went from stable to swimming with no warning. Never fallen out of a tippy yak as you are always subconsciously in touch with its balance point.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#8 Post by Dodge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Gasg it is just changing from the bigger wider Tempo that is making your bum pucker, give the Swing a few outings and you will be very happy, have seen it happen before.

Actually know a 110kgs paddler presently using a swing with no issues, he bellowed like a girl when he first got his after changing from a wider yak, so I left to himself to grow told him to stop being a sook, 20 minutes later he paddled passed me, and now a few years later will use no other model and has since tried a few makes....BTW we often sit side saddle [feet in water same side] having smoko.
Last edited by Dodge on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400, Viking Espri, Perception Sound 9.5

#9 Post by Ftp » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:43 am

the Tempo 2 is a massive beast of a kayak that is closer to a boat, pretty much everything except a Hobie PA 14 is going to seem like a wobbly thing. As it's been said before, go out somewhere safe and capsize it, you will be surprised at how hard it is to do

Gasg
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by Gasg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Ok I will stick at it until I've gotten used to it. I'm not worried about going in the drink, more concerned about my fishing gear so I might just leave the gear at home and go for a paddle until I'm used to it.

But seriously hanging my feet over the edge and in the water is NOT an open after watching Shallow Water and reruns of Jaws.

Return to “Main”