From parking the car to paddling the yak. How quick are we?

This is the main discussion forum.
manno
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Melb

From parking the car to paddling the yak. How quick are we?

#1 Post by manno » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:45 am

A recent post got me thinking....

How has pimping/rigging your yak impacted your launch time? For me, I own a Slayer 10 and ive definitely noticed that the more i rig the yak the less time it takes to setup and im on the water quicker! Its at the stage now that when i go yakking with my brothers (all three of us have identical model yaks) im launching and retrieving quicker than them, despite the fact im usually taking more gear and feel as though im taking my time. I guess its all about rigging smart, integrated solutions with plug n play style mods.

So.... How long does it take you guys, from the time you pull up in your car, to the time your on the water?

Maybe share your model yak, what mods you think have made the biggest difference as well as an estimated launch time!

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have got to share!

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

Re: From parking the car to paddling the yak. How quick are

#2 Post by pdfarrell » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 am

I'm not sure, but I know I'm getting quicker...
Like you I take quite a bit of gear with me, but I find packing up takes longer.

Rigging up always feels like a long time, especially if you can see fleeing bait etc.. but probably isn't more than 6-7 minutes...
Will time myself next outing, probably Sunday morning.

Cheers,
PF
Member of

Azzah
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#3 Post by Azzah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:23 am

4 minutes from locked to roof to in the water paddling these days. I don't think I would go out so much if it took 15

Untie yak, carry to water, one trip for paddle/rods/seat/net/tackle then a second for icebox/sounder battery then fit it all and get moving. It is a sierra 10, i leave the finder and rod holders attached. There is a lot to be said for a sub 20kg kayak but the guys with more serious yaks normally catch up right about when I get to the fishing spots haha

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#4 Post by Leper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:55 am

Can't tell you time but I'm pretty quick, I get a little excited and am geared up and on the water like lightning!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Missin Fishin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ACT
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

#5 Post by Missin Fishin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:06 pm

I've never timed it but am on the water well within 10 minutes.

If using my 'all mods' setup It will take slightly longer. I won't rush certain parts (such as getting the yak off the roof of the 4wd) just to be safe/avoid injury.

There are certain mods that can't stay on the yak due to weight or likelihood of damage, so think I'm pretty much as quick as it will be. Taking another 5mins doesn't bother me so much as to have it setup right for the situation :wink: (or not get half way across the dam and realise somethings not there as I've done before :gu:)

dinodadog
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: brisbane
Kayaks: Fish bandit +hobie outback

#6 Post by dinodadog » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:37 am

In the fish bandit 10mins
In the hobie 15mins
When you get older you waste a lot of time going through your check list in your mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dino
Fish while you can.
Dinodadog
I am not a bass addict but I am very fond of them

Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400, Viking Espri, Perception Sound 9.5

#7 Post by Ftp » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 am

I fish pretty light (no sounder, 1 rod, 2 tackle boxes of lures, a leatherman multi-tool, leader, couple of bits and pieces and water) as a general rule and take only the time from roof rack to water to get going. If I'm going offshore then I take a sounder, radio, safety gear etc so that cam take a good 15-20 minutes or so setup time.
Having said that, I've just taken delivery of a Native Watercraft Slayer 13 and I am still working out what to add... might end up taking a while to rig it up

Return to “Main”