pilot boat safety

This is the main discussion forum.
coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

pilot boat safety

#1 Post by coattail rider » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Last time I was out in PKH for the second week running I has some issues with the Pilot boat. Now I understand that its a working harbour, but its also a very busy boat ramp/fishing spot as well so you'd expect the Pilot boat to go at an appropriate speed and obey the rules. All the photos came from my video camera with a fish eye lens which makes things look further away than they are..at one point he was maybe 3 rod lengths away

Heres old mate bombing past at about 25knots - not so much unsafe as annoying..maybe 15 metres away

a few hours later he comes flying back towards me making no attempt to slow down..slows down at the last minute and then turns up behind/beside me creating a nice bit of swell for me

the guy on the bow tells me that theres a shipping container coming in and to move closer to the wall (fair enough) then tells me that theyve had a bunch of near misses with kayakers (nothing to do with them bombing about at high speed) and to be careful

and hour later hes back at it..shooting right across the side/front of me at at least 10 knots

and then proceeded to give me a lecture over the PA system about how us kayakers take our lives in our hands because "we bomb through here all the time at 25 knots" and kayakers are impossible to see. (If id had a bullhorn I would have responded with "maybe if you slowed the #@#*k down we'd be easier to see" but all he got was a friendly wave and a few swearwords muttered to myself)

Perhaps im being a touch oversensitive but if everyone else is expected to follow the rules, shouldnt they?
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Re: pilot boat safety

#2 Post by tonystott » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 pm

I would lodge a complaint with the Port Authority. If they don't give you a reasonable response, your photos would be suitable for your local paper. It seem as if they deliberately put you at risk by travelling at speed so close to you
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

#3 Post by MrPinkie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:34 pm

coattail rider wrote:and then proceeded to give me a lecture over the PA system about how us kayakers take our lives in our hands because "we bomb through here all the time at 25 knots" and kayakers are impossible to see.
May I ask how far you were to the marked shipping channel both times when he came so close and also if 46km/h is even within their speed limit so close to the harbour?

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

#4 Post by coattail rider » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:11 pm

MrPinkie wrote:
coattail rider wrote:and then proceeded to give me a lecture over the PA system about how us kayakers take our lives in our hands because "we bomb through here all the time at 25 knots" and kayakers are impossible to see.
May I ask how far you were to the marked shipping channel both times when he came so close and also if 46km/h is even within their speed limit so close to the harbour?
First time I was sitting just inside the mouth of the harbour, where plenty of people fish.
second time I was sitting in against the wall more or less where they'd asked me to be well inside the bouy which I assume marks the shipping lane
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#5 Post by PA Pete » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:41 pm

I would definitely lodge a complaint, these people should lead by example, just saying. :wink:
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

Snow
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour
Kayaks: Moken 10 Lure and a Mantra Noa

#6 Post by Snow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:00 am

Wouldn't it be sad if he was travelling to fast and didn't spot this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes when I blink, I can't see

gbc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

#7 Post by gbc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:53 am

Rules are rules. He wasnt following them. I'd follow it up.

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

#8 Post by rocky » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

They are no different in Newcastle harbour, the pilot pick up boat only has two speeds stop and flat chat with no regard for distance. They travel in a straight line between pilot station and heli port with no deviation.

Cheers Rocky
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, King George Whiting 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

scottski
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sunshine Coast
Kayaks: WS Aspire 105, Fisha 460

#9 Post by scottski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm

That's not cool at all, what a plonker.

My pet hate is the stinkboats that speed right past you so their kids can give you a wave, while you panic to make sure everything is in the hatch incase you turtle. I don't wave back.

pdfarrell
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley & Surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Hobie Outback

#10 Post by pdfarrell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:32 pm

I've had a ski boat get a bit close at Myuna Bay in Lake Mac. The first time they flew past me I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they may not have seen me.
After a second "buzzing" and lots of laughter from onboard the boat, I realised that the passes were more deliberate.

I was fishing with Nessmonster at the time, who was 300-400 metres from me, and they did the same to him.

On the next lap of the bay, as they made their 3rd attempt I had my phone held high and made it obvious I was recording them.
We never saw them again that day.

You come to expect it from recreational morons, but to cop it from professionals is just plain weak.
I'm sure the Port Authority or even the local council would not take what you've experienced lightly.

Cheers,
PF

MrPinkie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough, Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13

#11 Post by MrPinkie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:38 am

coattail rider wrote:
MrPinkie wrote:
First time I was sitting just inside the mouth of the harbour, where plenty of people fish.
second time I was sitting in against the wall more or less where they'd asked me to be well inside the bouy which I assume marks the shipping lane
That is just crazy. It seems like commonsense is thrown out the window on the water sometimes. Usually it's the recreational boaties but for commercial vessels to do this it's pretty bad. The captain seems like he is living up to his job title of "Tug" Boat captain - what a wanker lol.

Problem is from what I've heard, the departments responsible for regulating this industry don't really care. I'm not sure how much of a response you'll get reporting him.

musty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: My garage. I look at all my tackle and take a swig of my bottle....
Kayaks: Currently yakless.

#12 Post by musty » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Mate those pilot boats have always been that way.
I used to fish there out of a tinny and it was the same deal. Ironically the cargo ship coming through the heads never made any waves as it was guided in and there was always sh!tloads of room for me to stay near the point and continue spinning for pelagics but they want you to be miles away. There is a sign up near the ramp showing "safe zones" and those are outside of the mouth, and right into the port at the base of the walls. Rules are rules and they are a bit overkill.
Its just how they are, and the design of the pilot boats makes them generate huge wash.
I wouldn't get too hung up on it. they are probably sick to death of having to warn people to move 20 times a day too. Just keep and eye out and pop outside the wall for a spin until they pass. Its a great place to hook some big fish!

Musty
Fishing- ALWAYS a good decision!..

steve202
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: outback

#13 Post by steve202 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:31 pm

I've always wanted to fish the harbor but didn't know you were allowed and a bit concerned about the sharks that frequently cruise the rock wall even been seen swimming past the boat ramp Jetty.

Return to “Main”