Pedal yak - Hobie/Pedalfish/Kings Kraft

This is the main discussion forum.
roastman
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Pedal yak - Hobie/Pedalfish/Kings Kraft

#31 Post by roastman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Glad you are happy with it. I don’t think it really matters what the brand on the kayak is, provided it meets your needs. I was really happy with my little paddle kayak for a while, until a moment of frustration sent me to the Hobie Compass. In reality, I could still use the paddle kayak and be happy in lots of different situations. The Hobie (as your Pedal kayak will) just gives a bit more freedom. I loved being able to rig up lines today, while still maintaining propulsion. Hands-free is cool!

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#32 Post by Nativeman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:43 pm

katostrom wrote:J an initial problem loading this way due to rear rudder (same as mentioned in the hobie compass thread). After a few trials have made up a small self standing poly pipe frame to support the rear off the ground while lifting, just slide a rod through rear handle to fix and it's off the ground and swinging, then just slide up on nylon mats. Bit flimsy so may make up something solider but works great. \
Was thinking the same thing with my Compass but have decided to load the stern first on a loader bar on the rear rack.

But may go down the path you have.
Sel

roastman
KFDU Angler

#33 Post by roastman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Nativeman wrote:
katostrom wrote:J an initial problem loading this way due to rear rudder (same as mentioned in the hobie compass thread). After a few trials have made up a small self standing poly pipe frame to support the rear off the ground while lifting, just slide a rod through rear handle to fix and it's off the ground and swinging, then just slide up on nylon mats. Bit flimsy so may make up something solider but works great. \
Was thinking the same thing with my Compass but have decided to load the stern first on a loader bar on the rear rack.

But may go down the path you have.
I think stern first works better with the Compass if you are loading it normal way up, rather than upside down. I practised this when unloading today, as I tipped the kayak over (it was strapped to my roof rack upside down) before taking it off. By putting the loader on the rear rack, I got the kayak off without any risk of damage to the rudder. I dropped the front down onto a rubber mat, then put the wheels into the scuppers as I pulled the stern to the side of the loader. It worked fine, so hopefully will be fine in reverse, to load it back on. My only concern with the Compass is whether it is OK to strap it to the rack right way up? Is this likely to damage the hull?

peatop
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bellarine peninsula
Kayaks: Lovig maverick, Dragon pro

#34 Post by peatop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 am

It's always better to strap your yak upside-down, or even better to use a frame that supports the contour of the hull, this will limit deformation of your keel.
PB's kgw 42cm, snapper 55cm

metime
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Phillip & Western Port Bays Vic

#35 Post by metime » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi, new to site and relatively new to kayak fishing. Have a Malibu Mini X and have fished in bays (a few times)in Melbourne. Bought a rebranded king kayak 11 Pedal from Anaconda about 3 months back at a sale. Unfortunately had not the chance to test it out as yet due to work & family commitments. Have tried roof loading on to a Toyota Avensis van with the aid of a side loader. Loaded upside down bow first. Found it wobbly resting on stern. Saw on youtube that resting the stern in a bucket/tub can minimise movement. Attempted and it worked but bucket too small. Rudder in the way. Should be better with a bigger bucket/tub. Will try loading stern first. Has anyone had a go in the bay /sea? Any review and advice most appreciated. Can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage on the bay.

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#36 Post by Mackayak » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 pm

The fins come up to the hull when you push one foot fully forward when in the middle start up and down. I have always had a rev 13 and love it. If you are thinking of paddling some times it paddles a lot better then the one you are looking at. In the last 8 months have upgraded to new rev with revers would not go back to the old one the more you use it the more you find revers handy holding line on a drift, stopping at snag to fish it and to get you out to the middle when fighting big fish. Lots of opposition and what suits others my not suit you. Good luck :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#37 Post by Dodge » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm

metime wrote: Will try loading stern first.

Mate stern loading is easy, you will can see pictures of stern lifting up first here...

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51148
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#38 Post by Paulioq » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 am

tip #1 all other pedal kayaks are only trying to be a hobie

spare parts readly available if something may happen. not having reverse isn't really a problem. crabpot lines and seaweed don't get caught in the flippers. the distance between the seat and pedals is adjustable. heaps of storge and capacity.

I don't work for hobie but i did buy a second hand pa14 of sunstate hobie and has been a great yak. look on there site for second hand yaks.

metime
KFDU Angler

#39 Post by metime » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks Dodge, had a look at the photos. Like you improvisation of a side loader..... could have saved me a few $$. Did you have anything to steady the bow while lifting the stern onto the loader? I am of small built and only 5ft 5in in the old scale.... used to be 5ft 6 but have shrunk with age lol!, so I need to have all the help to steady the kayak during lifting. Will be practicing a bit more in loading and unloading before venturing out. The killer would be loading after a decent session out!

roastman
KFDU Angler

#40 Post by roastman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:09 pm

I take an anti-fatigue rubber mat with me to load and unload the Hobie. I place this under the bow, so that when I lift the stern the hull is protected from scratches etc. It also stops the hull from slipping, while the stern is raised. The anti-fatigue mat with holes works far better than a flat piece of rubber mat, as it resists slipping a lot better.

When loading on grass it is not a big deal, but for those situations where you are forced to load in carparks etc, it saves the hull and stops any accidents.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#41 Post by Dodge » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:01 am

metime wrote:Thanks Dodge, had a look at the photos. Like you improvisation of a side loader..... could have saved me a few $$. Did you have anything to steady the bow while lifting the stern onto the loader? I am of small built and only 5ft 5in in the old scale.... used to be 5ft 6 but have shrunk with age lol!, so I need to have all the help to steady the kayak during lifting. Will be practicing a bit more in loading and unloading before venturing out. The killer would be loading after a decent session out!
Mate only yesterday a mate took a series of pics of my loading method, and will do a loading article in a couple of days time.

Re the bow steady query, I do nothing to steady, the coming pics will further explain.

Do not worry about your height and age, I am also 5'6" and 78yo and only average fitness, and able to load OK
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

wongus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13 & Perception Swing

#42 Post by wongus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:25 am

Dodge wrote:
metime wrote:Thanks Dodge, had a look at the photos. Like you improvisation of a side loader..... could have saved me a few $$. Did you have anything to steady the bow while lifting the stern onto the loader? I am of small built and only 5ft 5in in the old scale.... used to be 5ft 6 but have shrunk with age lol!, so I need to have all the help to steady the kayak during lifting. Will be practicing a bit more in loading and unloading before venturing out. The killer would be loading after a decent session out!
Mate only yesterday a mate took a series of pics of my loading method, and will do a loading article in a couple of days time.

Re the bow steady query, I do nothing to steady, the coming pics will further explain.

Do not worry about your height and age, I am also 5'6" and 78yo and only average fitness, and able to load OK
It may not look like much on paper but from my experience, there is a world of difference between loading a Perception Swing (25kg ie same yak as Dodge) and a Hobie Quest 13 (30 kg). I have no problems manual lifting the Swing straight onto the Forester racks but the Hobie Quest 13 is a bit more of a struggle to get onto the roof but something I put up with for the last 8 or so years. Having recently acquired the Hobie Revo 13 (32 kg) this is slightly heavier again. I don't have too much trouble unloading the Hobie, but decided to invest in a Rhino Side Loader for loading the Revo 13. I am loading stern first to avoid damaging the rudder. Still working out the kinks but do find the new Hobie Revo 13 (2018) more slippery and prone to twisting (due to the narrow nose with yak upside down) when lifting one end up onto the side loader. Will be using a rubber mat (or old boogie board) to avoid this problem as well as minimising scratches in future.
Cheers
Danny

Yak PB's: Bream 41cm, Tailor 35cm (approx), Saratoga 45 (approx.), Flathead 72cm, Bass 56cm, Yellowbelly 54cm, Estuary Cod 55cm, Snapper 70cm, Mack Tuna 73cm, Longtail Tuna 95cm, Shark (Black Tip Reef) 92cm.

metime
KFDU Angler

#43 Post by metime » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Looking forward to see the photos. At 78 and still kayak fishing! Wow! Wow! Wow! At 65 I then have at least 13 years of fishing ahead of me ......you Beauty! I will be trying different size tubs both round and rectangular to see which is best suited. Definitely not today......42 degrees! Still have my Malibu Mini X, at only 19 kg I can just manually lift (overhead) onto my Toyota Avensis van myself. But usually goes kayak fishing with a buddy so has help. With this Kings Kraft 11 footer its a lot heavier. Don't exactly know what the weight is without the Pedal unit. Read somewhere its 28kg -kayak only. Can't take any chances on my back! Will do the maiden voyage and then determine location of fish finder. Have played around with milk crate and cooler box for storage.

Return to “Main”