kayak isolation

This is the main discussion forum.
Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

kayak isolation

#1 Post by Beardypaul » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:49 pm

hi all as a few of us have time on our hands now, here is a question. Does going fishing in a 1 man kayak count as isolation?
I would load it by myself, unload it by myself, and fish by myself.
What do you think?

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: kayak isolation

#2 Post by Steve R » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Victoria is closed. Police may fine anyone fishing of boating.
Qld is unclear. The rule seems to be you can fish for food only (no enjoying yourself :lol: )

The web search below indicates NSW DPI have said fishing is OK. I can't find the DPI announcement and the article itself is firmly locked behind a paywall. So you can't read beyond the preview. for further detail
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nsw+dpi+makes ... =d&ia=news
Even if I could read the entire article it is not an official source so I would not trust it. However, there may be a source quoted.
There's nothing on the DPI website. If in DPI Twitter I can't find it. Ditto DPI Facebook.

Edit: Another article. This is readable but from a UK mail service so non-trustworthy and still doesn't make the situation crystal clear for NSW.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Recreational+ ... ws&ia=news
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#3 Post by Steve R » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:04 pm

BTW That was when I read it this evening. First thing in the morning State governments may have all changed their minds.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

#4 Post by Beardypaul » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:25 pm

As usual, our Government is as clear as mud. I was told that there was something on talk back radio this morning, saying it was ok as long as you stay isolated when launching and retrieving. Can not say I trust that. I would like to see it in writing before I set out. On the other hand, the good news is our infection rate is one third what it was 3 weeks ago so if we can keep that up, we could be back to normal in 5 weeks.
regards Beardy Paul.

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#5 Post by Steve R » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:25 pm

Government says the rules are clear :roll:

NSW is using a new preview site. The fountain of information starts here.
https://preview.nsw.gov.au/

I think it is very short on detail but I can forgive government for that. They haven't had a lot of time to get research, write and verify rules will work for all.
Something about fishing may appear eventually. If it does and you use the advice, take a web page image as a record. Social distancing is the main rule we need to get right. The rest seems to be peripheral to supporting that and to allow exceptions that keep the country working.

Fortunately (maybe), NSW top cop plans to personally vet every infringement notice. That should mean consistency of application of infringements. Theoretically if we stick with what he says, we should be OK but we need to have heard it.

What goes on in legislators minds when they think fishing. Someone in a large boat with a crew chasing Marlin? A charter with a dozen people aboard? A few blokes in a 18-footer chasing Snapper? Someone in a 13-footer hoping for anything? Someone on a river bank? Someone sitting on a white bucket on a beach? Fly fishing? It is highly unlikely we have someone thinking kayak, or on the move along beaches and across rocks tossing lures as I frequently do.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)

Dukekim
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane north
Kayaks: Feelfree mokken 10

#6 Post by Dukekim » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:09 am

QLD police said there is no legislation yet on recreational fishing ,they did advised against fishing but can't fine you yet.
So my take on it is get out there now while you can.
I just hope we are not on lockdown when the tailor come through .

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#7 Post by Steve R » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 am

Dukekim wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:09 am
I just hope we are not on lockdown when the tailor come through .
Tailor are by-catch for me but I've had some great sessions down here and am still getting oodles of 40cm Tailor close to Eden but suspect the last of the 50cm Tailor are only just past. Best for me this year was 63cm on 24 March. There's almost the entire NSW Coast for these to pass before they reach QLD. Hope that gives you some hope.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club

#8 Post by Steve R » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm

The lastest summary but not from an official source and not researched for accuracy.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Fishi ... 58039.aspx
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)

Charles 1960
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney,Central West,Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Jackson Kilroy , Scamp

#9 Post by Charles 1960 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Fishing definitely allowed in NSW and QLD as its passive exercise but VIC are really cracking down on people going out. I plan on going out the easter break however most parks have been closed by the local councils so it might be a decent carry to the water. You going to be painting a big target on on yourself with a yak on the roof, I won't be going far.

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#10 Post by nigel » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Would suggest be reasonable & you will be OK if I drive to Botany (30 mins) just about if I drive to Nelson’s Bay (3hrs) doubt it will be good if I drive 5 mins to nearest boat ramp got to be sweet.

pommy nigel
ImageImage

Return to “Main”