Hull crack

This is the main discussion forum.
Presto
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Queensland

Hull crack

#1 Post by Presto » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi,
I have a Swedish modular kayak by Point 65*N, Martini model and it has developed a fine crack about 25mm long. It's where the two sections of hull come together, I don't believe it's a stress point but more a moulding flaw which had been plastic welded and the welding failed. I tried to seal it with Sikaflex to no avail. I guess it will need to be plastic welded. I live in the Redlands Qld. Does anybody know of a plastic welder in my area. I tried one but the site is gone, there is a mobile bloke but don't know if it would be worth his while.

Never gave it any thought before but I guess I prefer my Martinis dry.

PeterInSa
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SA

Re: Hull crack

#2 Post by PeterInSa » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Presto, I have used a similar workshop item below for successful plastic welding, to me its not rocket science, But I have only used black rods, don't know about colured rods or painting over black rods.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2000w ... lsrc=aw.ds

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#3 Post by XDCammer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:00 am

Gordon from Hobie in Brisbane may weld it for you. Give him a call. 3890 8650
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Presto
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Presto » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 am

On closer examination I have found it has previously been plastic welded using black plastic rods. Whoever did it didn't do a good job having practically melted the areas of the kayak where he applied the heat but didn't have the plastic rod hot enough so as a result the two plastics didn't bond. I think it is a job for a professional now as some sections are very thin.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 am

Look up Cusfab. Based at Ipswich, does some great work. Well worth a chat!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

#6 Post by XDCammer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:45 pm

The same plastic must be used as the hull material for best results. EG, super linear II (Hobie Poly) must be used to weld the Hobie hulls as other material will not bond properly to the repair.
Who ever repaired you boat used the wrong plastic and now you see the results.
I just had a look in their website (Point 65*N) and there was no mention of the make up of the hull material.
What you could do is perhaps trip some of the plastic off the cockpit combing and use that.
Good luck. BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Presto
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Presto » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:06 am

I contacted Point 65N and asked the question and immediately said they would send me some welding rods of the same colour so that will eliminate the chance of incorrect rods. The previous repair had been done before I bought the kayak second hand. I have found a mobile repair bloke, Ace Mobile Plastics, he comes to your premises and gives a quote, if I am not happy with the price there is no charge. If I agree to the price he fixes it on the spot. Just waiting on him to tell me when he can do it.

Return to “Main”