Trailer for two kayaks

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Ross51
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie PA17, previously 3 x PA14's

Trailer for two kayaks

#1 Post by Ross51 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:45 pm

I previously had a 7 x 4 trailer for my two PA14's but due to transport width restrictions I had to build a cross bar so I could mount the 2nd PA above the other.

As it proved to be a bit of an effort to load the 2nd PA onto the higher mount I decided I wanted a side by side loading system for the PA's.

I looked around for hot dip galvanised flat bed trailers 5ft wide and got prices ranging from the $2,000 to $3,000+ mark and thought there had to be something more economical for a kayak/boat trailer.

I came across imported trailers from China and found that there were a number of importers selling these at a reasonable cost.

I ended up buying an 8 x 5 hot dip galvanised trailer from Budjet Trailers at Cooper Plains and I bought the version with the bolt on sides as I already planned to make new 'ladder' sides for my kayak mounts.

The trailer cost $1,320 (inc GST) and the first thing I did was to have the drawer bar extended to 1.75m (can't stand backing a trailer with a standard short drawer bar).

I then removed (unbolted) the sides and made up two 'ladder' style shorter sides (200mm high compared to the original sides that were 300mm high), fabricated the bolt on bracket mounts, fabricated 40 x 40 SHS mounting blocks for the timber cross beams and had them hot dip galvanised.

There are what I (and some others on discussion forums) found to be two faults in the rear Hobie PA mounting cradle. The first error is that if you mount the rear cradle on the same flat plane as the front cradle then the PA is not sitting evenly on the rear cradle. The second error is that there is insufficient support under the middle of the rear cradle and many of these have cracked due to the loads encountered when loading and loading the PA's

To correct the first error I found that if you tilt the rear cradle forward by 9 degrees, then you will find the PA fits perfectly into and onto the rear cradle.

To correct the second fault I have glued a piece of high density foam under the middle of each of the rear cradles to give them extra support during the loading and undloading of the PA's.

Below are some photos of my trailer and the PA's and hope it might help others who might be looking at trailering their PA (PA's).

And I added the rod racks as I was sick if having to always store them inside the SUV and having to tenderly work around them each trip.

My next step is to fabricate front and rear tailgates, cut some 12mm ply for temporary walls and be able to use the trailer as a box trailer for the back yard, if and when required.

My previous project was a better trolley for my PA's and you can see it if you search under the topic "Trolley / Dolly for PA14" which I posted on KFDU in August 2014.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ross51 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

aust_norm
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

Re: Trailer for two Hobie PA14's

#2 Post by aust_norm » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 pm

You do very nice work. It lloks very professionally done.

Norm.

Jigglin
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: NW Slayer Propel 13 & 10

#3 Post by Jigglin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Great effort on the trailer, but you would be tempting fate transporting the rods in the open like that. Any little debris, even a small piece of rubber of a truck tyre will snap them if travelling at speed.

Ross51
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Ross51 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:09 pm

aust_norm wrote:You do very nice work. It lloks very professionally done.

Norm.
Hi norm,

The drawer bar extension was done by a trailer fabricator as I didn't want to tempt fate on the trailer structural integrity.

But the rest, the sides, the cross beams, etc, I did myself. I just like things I make to look good as well as being functional.

Thank you for the compliment.

Ross

Ross51
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Ross51 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Jigglin wrote:Great effort on the trailer, but you would be tempting fate transporting the rods in the open like that. Any little debris, even a small piece of rubber of a truck tyre will snap them if travelling at speed.
Hi Jigglin,

Point taken but is it any more risky than putting the rods on a roof rack mount? I concede It is always a risk carrying rods outside a vehicle.

The rod tips are also held in place with the front rod support on the trailer and the rods are partly protected by the height of the towing SUV.

So far no mishaps and fingers crossed there will be none in the future.

Ross
Last edited by Ross51 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney, not sure where exactly
Kayaks: Wavedance Kingfisher, Stellar SEL Ski, K1 Kayak

#6 Post by Grunt1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Nice set up.
Grant

Blue Wavedance Kingfisher
Stellar SEL ocean Ski
Purple CompKraft K1

Grant's Paddle Blog

disco2td5
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW

Re: Trailer for two kayaks

#7 Post by disco2td5 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Very well set up im impressed

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

#8 Post by yaqdoq » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:45 pm

Good set up and nice attention to detail . I appreciate the effort put into this project . Well done

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#9 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Now that's a practical design. I'd certainly use a quality padlock to help keep that beast attached to my car when I got back and maybe even a security system on that cool rod rack too.....
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

SquidSA
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: St Kilda / Garden Island
Kayaks: Tarpon 120

#10 Post by SquidSA » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Great job, I'm in the process of buying and modifying a trailer for my yak too! great inspiration although my craftsmanship is nothing like yours!
SQUID FOR THE PLATE - NOT BAIT

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

#11 Post by pavo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Very sweet looking trailer champ

trol04
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: south australia
Kayaks: Feelfree moken12.5

#12 Post by trol04 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:46 am

nice work on the trailer looks good I agree that getting a PA on to the top of H rail is a task
if only I could catch fish I keep on trying

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”