Sailing rig

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Allany
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Burnett, Queensland
Kayaks: Dragon 2.5

Sailing rig

#1 Post by Allany » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:35 am

Wish i could afford one of these

http://youtu.be/3AJXC3K9vfM

Allan

gbc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane or Hervey Bay

Re: Sailing rig

#2 Post by gbc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:05 am

Look up sea dog sails or flat earth sails. About $300 - $400 No dagger boards, just a well made sail which points very well. I have one which fits both of my boats. They are worth it.
No need for dagger boards on a yak. One of my boats doesn't even have a rudder but it still sails well.

Macbrand
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Lifetime Angler 3.0 (Dragonfly)

#3 Post by Macbrand » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:02 pm

"Downhall Boom Vang"

At this point I was truly lost.

gbc
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by gbc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 am

There is at 5 magnitudes of complexity there that don't need to be there on a rig that small.

If I could be arsed mucking around with photo sizes I'd post a couple of pics of my rig as a comparison. Aussies lead the rest at sea kayak sailing.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

#5 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:28 pm

gbc wrote:There is at 5 magnitudes of complexity there that don't need to be there on a rig that small.

If I could be arsed mucking around with photo sizes I'd post a couple of pics of my rig as a comparison. Aussies lead the rest at sea kayak sailing.
Looking forward to seeing your sail pics in detail gbc.
Let me know if you need help to resize your pics.

I'm half way through setting up a new Sea Dog sail on my Kaskazi Dorado II fishing ski.
So far it's been a bit tricky with no access to the undersides of most of the attachment points due to the hull design.
I couldn't find anyone online who had set up a sail on my particular vessel so I've had to spend some time activating the old grey matter to find a suitable combination of attachment points and methods.

Can't wait to get out there for a maiden voyage and eventually try out the sail with trolling as well.
I'll create a post with ample pics when done and perhaps some action video later when I figure out how to sail :?:
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

gbc
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by gbc » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Same sail. I've rigged both the sea kayak and the paddle yak to take it.

I just downloaded a resizer but the photo quality has gone to crap. Hope you get some detail from the rigging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by Plakkyboat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:02 pm

gbc wrote:Same sail. I've rigged both the sea kayak and the paddle yak to take it.

I just downloaded a resizer but the photo quality has gone to crap. Hope you get some detail from the rigging.
Even with my glasses on, there's not much detail to see in those "mini" pics. :grin:

Is that a Sea Dog sail ?

If so then your sail looks like the same model with the same colour, and panel materials used on the sail I bought about 2 weeks ago.

Did you get the reefing holes added to the sail?

I got them added to my sail because I figured the reduced sail size may come in handy on really windy days.

Download FastStone Image Resizer. It's easy to use and totally free and lets you do more than one pic at a time.
The link is below. Download the .exe file and run it to install the program.
http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDownload.htm

You can also do the same in "FastStone Image Viewer" (one pic at a time) which I set as my default viewer. Works a treat.

The link to download the pic viewer is below.
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

PM me if you need more help. I look forward to seeing some larger pics with better detail.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

gbc
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by gbc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:41 am

Yes, sea dog sail.
No, no reefing holes. It twists off quite well in a gust with the shock cord in the sheet rope and forestay. I did think about It though.

Thanks for the links. I usually access this site via a phone or iPad though. I am going 7 days at the moment so a bit time poor. Why would every other forum accept photos straight off my phone and this one turns something simple into a ball ache?

I'll have the fishing boat and sail down at south west rocks at Easter so will play with the sail more then. I would think you'd be busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger with crabs if you hooked a decent fish with the sail up though. Time will tell.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#9 Post by Plakkyboat » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 pm

gbc wrote:Yes, sea dog sail.
No, no reefing holes. It twists off quite well in a gust with the shock cord in the sheet rope and forestay. I did think about It though.

Thanks for the links. I usually access this site via a phone or iPad though. I am going 7 days at the moment so a bit time poor. Why would every other forum accept photos straight off my phone and this one turns something simple into a ball ache?

I'll have the fishing boat and sail down at south west rocks at Easter so will play with the sail more then. I would think you'd be busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger with crabs if you hooked a decent fish with the sail up though. Time will tell.
Hi gbc,

That's good to know the standard fitted shock chords work in gusts with the Sea Dog sail.

According to Richard from Sea Dog Sails, the reefing holes really need to be set up before starting out.
They're mainly there for times when the weather turn up very blustery unexpectedly when you get to your launch point or when you really want to sail in strong winds with minimal risks.

I figure you just need to release the sheet rope if you hook up with a large or pelagic fish and the sail will automatically dump the air that carries you forward.

The main thing about resizing pics on this site is that if you try to upload a pic that's too large in pixel size, it will tell you the maximum size you can upload (in landscape aspect).
Use the maximum size numbers KFDU provide (in your resizing software) to make it easier to achieve success without too many hassles.

I believe they do this to keep their file storage system under control so they can afford to leave a long history of pics uploaded without needing to cull any old post pics.
Also if you upload a pic in portrait aspect you will need to reduce it even more than the normal reduced size for landscape.

Looking forward to seeing your pics "up-sized" and perhaps some of your Easter break shots too.
Cheers -- Paul

musclebunny
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Cockburn Sound WA
Kayaks: Tribe 13.5 with Dragonfly 6

#10 Post by musclebunny » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 pm

I recently bought 2 Falcon sails from USA. They have arrived in Australia but still sitting with the freight Co.
Polycarbon mast, rigging, a 1m2 sail and a 1.3m2 sail.
I'm fitting it to a Percetion 13.5 Tribe SOT tandem kayak.
Not gonna use leeboards or a rudder
Wasnt cheap but. :smart:

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#11 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:12 pm

musclebunny wrote:I recently bought 2 Falcon sails from USA. They have arrived in Australia but still sitting with the freight Co.
Polycarbon mast, rigging, a 1m2 sail and a 1.3m2 sail.
I'm fitting it to a Percetion 13.5 Tribe SOT tandem kayak.
Not gonna use leeboards or a rudder
Wasnt cheap but. :smart:
Hi mb

Sounds like fun times ahead and that's just in the fitting job. :gu:

My Sea Dog sail fitting is almost complete. I had to order some parts first.

The sail area on mine is .8m and .6m if I use the reefing eyelets to pull it up shorter to the mast. Don't think I could handle a larger sail on my ski.

I'm very hesitant to drill holes in my glass hull until I have thought long and hard about the options and long term consequences for positioning of the attachments.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could easily find someone with your exact kayak/s so you could see exactly how they fitted their sails ?

If you aren't using the leeboards then I'm curious to know why you didn't try out any of the much cheaper Aussie brand sail options. :?:

Looking forward to seeing some pics and/or video after you get past the fitting stage.
Cheers -- Paul

musclebunny
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by musclebunny » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Will post some pics shortly.
I went with Falcon sails as after lots of reading and looking at kayak sailing videos thought they were a superior item, especially upwind. Just my observation, maybe Falcon just did a better sales presentation. :lol:

Im an old engineering tradie and building things out of my head is something i enjoy.
Am 99% finished on a project which has converted my kayak to rowing style without drilling one hole in the hull.
Also fitted a Raymarine dragonfly depthsounder and tranducer without drilling.
Hate the thought of drilling in hull, if one changes their mind on a design than one is left with unsightly holes to patch up.

I decided to make the kayak rowable as one can get stronger strokes, especially if in a head wind. I live by sea.

musclebunny
KFDU Angler

#13 Post by musclebunny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:14 am

tmp_13082-20160308_204527-640x480-2131074350.jpg
Sail arrived today after sitting in freight dock over the long weekend, Labour day here in WA.
This is what it looks like straight out of the box.
Havent unwrapped it yet.....

Will send more pics later when i get it out of the wrappers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#14 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Hey MB, how's that Falcon sail fitting coming along?
Any pics to share?
Cheers -- Paul

musclebunny
KFDU Angler

#15 Post by musclebunny » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Has been hellish hot weather here so have just not been inclined to do anything.
Easter weekend will probably get into it.
But i did finish my kayak rowlocks project, sea trials required for that sometime.

I will definitely post again, i have this thread bookmarked when i fit the mast.

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”