What do you take off shore?

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
adddamo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South western Western Australia

What do you take off shore?

#1 Post by adddamo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi guys

Out of intrest what Have you setup to take off-shore, I’m thinking of upgrading to something to go 4ish km off the beach and would like some advise on what I should be looking at and what everyone typically recommends. I’m pretty lucky to live in the southwest of WA and have access to some nice beaches to launch from and plenty of fishing spots just off shore. I have done a few trips up some rivers (around 5k trips) in my current budget yak but want to start preparing but budget to take the next step. Thanks in advance for your info and recommendations.

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

Re: What do you take off shore?

#2 Post by nigel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:44 pm

phpxfkhjxPM.jpg
for going offshore ide say Stealth defiantly I've owned 5 now (Evolution Splash Profisher 575 this is BFS my second one :lol: ) 4.7M long plenty of secondary stability & rocker they have all been capable offshore yaks & the large central hatch is a godsend on rough beach launches & landings re stowing rods out of harms way K.I.S.S. don't like to much on my Yaks more there is more to go wrong get tangled etc.
As there designed to cope with the big S-African surf launches will cope fine with Au conditions the other thing I like is there fast so when you get caught out by unexpected off shore winds (yeh it does happen) that 4-5Ks back to beach is manageable unlike a 2.7m tub.

Pommy Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

awty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Redcliffe

#3 Post by awty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 pm

A correctly fitting pfd type 2 (unless your state specifies a type 1) and then go into the surf in your kayak and practice self rescue. Being competent in self rescue is a must.
Paul

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#4 Post by nigel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 pm

awty wrote:A correctly fitting pfd type 2 (unless your state specifies a type 1) and then go into the surf in your kayak and practice self rescue. Being competent in self rescue is a must.
. Agree also get to know the yak lean it till it flips crawl as far to front as you can turn round as far to back etc learn how far you can push it you will gain a lot of confidence ow and of course leash your paddle

Nigel
Last edited by nigel on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

adddamo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South western Western Australia

#5 Post by adddamo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 pm

I have had my current kayak for about 4 or 5 years now, had plenty of practice flipping it over and climbing back onto, was one of the 1st things I done when it had its maiden voyage and plenty of times after that. The only things that have stopped me from going out off shore is a) having the people around me with enough confidence to come, and b) that my kayak is very much a river and dam kayak being only 2.8m long and extremely slow. Is it worth getting a better paddle then the standard supplied 2pc, if so what do I look at?

I will need to purchase an EPIRB apparently and am more then happy to purchase a marine radio also. Not too concerned about sounder as yet as I have navonics with a few good plots from me and my brother inlaw busting around in his boat. Also require a type1 pfd with where I want to go.

Cheers for the comments

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club

#6 Post by nigel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:35 am

Is it worth getting a better paddle then the standard supplied 2pc, if so what do I look at?

Cheers for the comments[/quote]

Re is it worth getting a better paddle putting g it bluntly on a 2.8M no on a faster more streamlined yak defiantly I usually do 20+Ks when Im out for a troll (best so far 44Ks not bad for an old git late 50,s) on glass with a full carbon tourer also have a more knock about paddle when I'm staying local chasing kings round structures on plastic.Could not put in half the distance without the right kit.

Nigel
ImageImage

awty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Redcliffe

#7 Post by awty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

Your kayak isnt suited for off shore, it might be ok on a good day but things can turn to shit quite quickly off shore.....speaking from personal experience.....wind, swell and currents are all things you need to factor in.
4 km's is a decent paddle off shore.
My fishing ski is 4.6mtrs long and I wouldn't consider going off shore in anything less than 4mtrs.
Yes as Nigel said, a good strong paddle leash is important, but if you are using a 2 part paddle you need to make sure you tether to the side you will grasp if you come off, other wise you will be left with a half a paddle and a kayak getting washed away. I usually keep a 2 part paddle in the hull for a spare and use a single paddle. If you are going through a shore break it would be best to use a short shaft paddle and a vertical stroke opposed to using a long shaft and a horizontal stroke. There are many different styles of paddles on the market get one that you feel comfortable with. Wrong paddle and technique is not only inefficient, but and can really mess up your shoulders.

Epirb is great, a hand held 2 way has limited range especially if your in the water, sometimes a phone has better range.

Always carry a rope cutting knife on your person to cut fishing line and anything else you could get tangled in.

Strong pliers for cutting barbs off hooks...... when you get impaled by a treble.......even more useful when the other treble is still attached to a small reef shark.

A drogue/sea anchor with at least 6 meters of rope, good for fishing with, but also is good if your getting blown in the wrong direction.

Always log in at the VMR and let someone reliable know where you are going and what time you will be back.

Know how the weather works in your fishing spot and check just before you go out.......some places are more susceptible to certain weather patterns.

A correctly fitting pfd type 2, done up firmly......they do not work and are dangerous if they are loose.

And most importantly always go with a capable friend. If the fishing spot is popular with kayak fisher persons, then talk to them, maybe they will be happy for you to tag along. You could go to locations closer to the shore to build up confidence and ability.....again 4kms is a good distance out for off shore, Im sure there will be places that are a bit closer in.
Paul

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

#8 Post by yaqdoq » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Common sense :wink:

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#9 Post by Paulioq » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm

yeah what awty said but with the sea anchor set it up right with float line from the front of the drogue to a small float tie it off to the back of the drogue. take an anchor because if you loose your propulsion paddle/Pedal drive and are being blown around into a shipping channel or further out to see you can turf the anchor out. but learn how to and when to use anchors and drogue and set them up safely there so much to think about and ways to set yourself up like teathering your self to your yak incase you tip out and the wind blows your yak in one direction and the current takes you in the other and you cant swim to it what is your next move. your 4km out remember. its not like yaking 100mm from shore trolling for flathead

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”