STEALTH PROFISHA 525 - Fitting out my fourth Stealth

Show everyone your rigged kayak or look for ideas here.
Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

STEALTH PROFISHA 525 - Fitting out my fourth Stealth

#1 Post by Jamie D » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Firstly let me say this thread will more than likely be of no use to the experienced enthusiast of the sport , and I'm not writing it with them in mind , so no harm done there.
IMG_1341 (527x640).jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
I have not had a desire to do a build thread for years , but I recently realised that whilst for the people out there kayak fishing happily , that got into kayak fishing during the height of the kayak fishing forum era when ideas material was maybe more easily found and referenced , for someone new to the sport , finding basic fit out ideas to simply get started can be a difficult proposition with search functions on facebook pages at best hit and miss , so I thought I'd put the latest South African made Fibreglass kayak I've bought out there for beginners to the sport to be able to look over and maybe get some ideas , if only of what they don't like or do like and get some ideas maybe of what they will do on their own boats. So here are the things I like to do on my kayaks these are no the correct things to do or the only things to do , just what I do .
IMG_1334 (320x240).jpg
Years ago a prominent member of the kayak community had an incident , where his feet got caught up in the Velcro foot straps on the rudder control pedals , and whilst tumbling wildly through surf , he couldn't breath for enough time that drowning became a possibility. I therefore remove the Velcro straps on the foot pedals , and move them to the inside of the kayak fish hatch to use as rod straps , to secure rods whilst going out through surf , where rods moving and jumping around can cause , damage to the rods and or kayak and can wreck or bend rigs ready to fish on the rod . The Stock standard Velcro straps are woefully inadequate in my opinion and I've always thought it a shame that on such a weapon of a kayak it's never been addressed.

I also remove the rod bar that sits underneath the seat in the fish hatch on the profishas as I personally find it encumbers how I like to pack the rods in the hatch and where in the hatch I like the reels to end up sitting , again this is a personal thing .

The front stock standard Velcro straps are also replaced with an adjustable clip strap so that depending on what I'm taking I can adjust how long the strap needs to be the rear straps , ( The foot Straps) take the weight of the reel which is key and the front straps are more for keeping the rods straight , although with this system it allows me to pack up to 5 rods , a Gaf , and a camera ( Painters pole ) boom rod .

I also now , mark a simple roughly drawn fish measure as a way of deciding if keeping a fish is legal or not as I have found over the years a measure wether it be drawn on the boat or a decal with measurement , if the measure is inside the boat , it means that I won't risk losing the fish because it's inside the boat and being between the legs rather than on the side of the boat , has proven the easiest quickest method over the years for deciding on keeping or releasing fish .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie D on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

Re: STEALTH PROFISHA 525 - Fitting out my fourth Stealth

#2 Post by rocketV » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Good of you to share your experience and ideas mate :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Jamie D

#3 Post by Jamie D » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm

IMG_1340 (320x240).jpg
IMG_1339 (240x320).jpg
Another Idea I've run for years , ( Stolen from YAQDOG ) many moons ago , like all good ideas in anything , I run 4mm bungy cord , simply tied in a loop and attached to the anchor points just behind the rod holders , to the other end I simply attach a spring loaded clip . I leave these rod lashes on at all times even when cleaning the yak , that way I never forget them , then on all my rods , and camera boom , I attach a stainless steel loop with a zip tie attaching that to the rod , very functional , practical system , that saved me losing the first ever cobia I caught when I over applied the drag and lost the rod over board for a short period of time , as you do :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jamie D on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#4 Post by Marty75 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Looking forward to reading this post in its entirety Jamie. One day will hopefully be a Fisha or ProFisha owner myself.

Marty

Jamie D

#5 Post by Jamie D » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Paddle leash trolley system - ( for getting the paddle back in hand )

This is the idea I'm most proud of in that it's like a lot of things I make in my life , very ugly , and very functional . Coming off in the surf 250m off the beach is a problem , especially in early morning low light when , boats , sharks and other kayakkers are around, so you obviously need to be able to get back onto your yak as quick as possible , to do this you need to be able to reach your yak , that's when being tethered to your kayak by some device is essential in my opinion.

Using a bungy chord , attached to the front of your yak and also to your paddle does two things , the paddle gives you something to hold onto as you get tumbled through the surf when you come off , holding onto your yak as you get tumbled like a dog on a leash and by the bungy cord being attached to the front of the kayak it pulls the nose of the kayak towards the wave so it pierces through swell behind you rather than sideways which will break the leash , and also buys you enough time before the stretch of the bungy tensions , that you can get your head out of the way of the kayak now coming towards you after it comes through the wave , then simply grab kayak and jump on board .

If However you loose contact in the surf with your kayak , you may have to swim to it , then remount , in pounding swell , adrenalin rushing through you , and you find your paddle 3metres away from you and your exhausted , that's when the paddle leash trolley comes into it's own
IMG_1337 (240x320).jpg
IMG_1342 (179x320).jpg
IMG_1338 (240x320).jpg
The Trolley is used as a pulley to get the paddle attachment point back to you in the surf and then simply grab the bungy attached to your paddle and begin pulling your paddle back towards you and once the paddle is back in hand simply continue exiting the surf zone , the trolley system is made of 8mm bungy cord , anything less will break under the tension of pounding surf , this cord is then used to create a giant loop attached to the front and side carry handles , this is running through stainless steel d clips on the front and side carry handles so as to allow the cord to pass through easily without chaffing the bungy surface. The Loop is joined in the middle with a stainless steel ring , I tie 2 meters of the 8mm cord to this ring and this is attached to the paddle using a cheap Velcro paddle leash attachment from Annaconda , I simply remove the very end of the Annaconda paddle leash from the pigs tail spiral cord it comes with which I don't like and simply thread the paddle leash Velcro loop through the end of the bungy cord in which I also tie a loop . When I'm on the road I simply move the stainless ring to the front and tie the Velcro paddle attachment to the side handle to keep it still on the highway .

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

#6 Post by yaqdoq » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 am

Welcome back to the bright side :wink:

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#7 Post by Brendon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Nice work and really interesting to hear about things like the velcro foot straps .
Do you need to use more in the way of backing plates when drilling fibre glass hulls and do you need to seal edges of holes with epoxy ?
Thanks for sharing .
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

Jamie D

#8 Post by Jamie D » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

yaqdoq wrote:Welcome back to the bright side :wink:
:wink:

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#9 Post by Ads22 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Good to see you back on deck and sharing your knowledge. Some ideas that will certainly prove useful to those of us still to venture into the serious offshore side of things, myself included!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Jamie D

#10 Post by Jamie D » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Brendon wrote:Nice work and really interesting to hear about things like the velcro foot straps .
Do you need to use more in the way of backing plates when drilling fibre glass hulls and do you need to seal edges of holes with epoxy ?
Thanks for sharing .
Yeah mate if you’re putting anything on the boats that’s gonna come under tension backing plates is always a great idea and I always just glue it in as well with Sika

Jamie D

#11 Post by Jamie D » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Ads22 wrote:Good to see you back on deck and sharing your knowledge. Some ideas that will certainly prove useful to those of us still to venture into the serious offshore side of things, myself included!
Hey Adam :ha: thanks for the warm welcome appreciated brother

bagpussbrown
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: port melbourne
Kayaks: Stealth Pro fisha 475

#12 Post by bagpussbrown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm

great ideas i will copy some hope you don't mind thanks Mike
PS great looking yak

Jamie D

#13 Post by Jamie D » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:10 pm

bagpussbrown wrote:great ideas i will copy some hope you don't mind thanks Mike
PS great looking yak
I put the thread specifically for others to pick and choose if they liked any of the ideas , enjoy

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#14 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Great to see another build thread - been a while. Welcome back.

I learnt lots of little ideas from various build threads (including yours) over the years which I was able to translate to my unusual fishing kayak setup.

Not too many around that are onto their fourth either :)

The paddle trolley idea is new. Interesting solution (though don't have those problems up here).

Instead of the Anaconda paddle leash holder, you can create a loop out of strong cord with diameter about 5cm, cut about 10cm of two sided velcro cord organiser stuff (get from bunnings), wrap around the loop and paddle so you have at least two layers, and clip/tie the bungy to the loop. Cheap, same system works great for rods, and super strong. Agree the loopy stuff on the cheaper leashes at Ananconda/BCF aren't strong enough.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#15 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Image now of what I mean.
Paddle.png

Return to “Rigged Kayaks”