Queen of the Bluff - Metre Queenfish

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Queen of the Bluff - Metre Queenfish

#1 Post by Ads22 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 am

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRanTSqTKNk

I had been struggling to find time in the seat with my wife and I both sustaining injuries, so when my in-laws insisted they look after the kids so I could go fishing, I jumped at the chance. The wind was down on Sunday morning, expected to get up around midday, so I headed out the front at Ironpot/Bluff Rock again. I missed some weather windows with home duties and missed some good Mackerel bites, but was hoping there might still be some around. I launched off the beach at Mulambin before sun up, and sea was pretty calm. Heading straight up to Ironpot trolling a Pillie on heavy gear, I reached the island and switched to a drifted pillie rig that I had with me - simply 80lb leader to a circle hook, with 44lb wire to a treble stinger.

It didn't take long once at the island to hook up. A feisty fish thankfully ran away from the rocks, but one aerial display dislodged the hook and a thick Tarpon went begging. It was only a minute later that the drifting pilchard went off hard. What ensued was a solid tussle on an 8-15kg Ugly Stik. The fight only lasted 4 minutes, but on my heaviest gear, I figure that's a fair effort. It towed me toward the cliff a couple of times, but thankfully, preferred to run rather than dig for the rocks. I was surprised but pleased to see a big Queenfish come to the surface. Being too big for my wee little net, I tail grabbed the fish and celebrated when I had it in my lap. I haven't eaten Queenfish before, but figured this was probably a little big to bother with so early in the morning. The sun was only just peeking over the horizon. It looked as if it had been grabbed at recently, too, with big gouges out of the tail.
IronpotQueen4_L.jpg
IronpotQueen3_L.jpg
IronpotQueen_L.jpg
IronpotQueen5.jpg
QueenBluffcover.jpg
IronpotQueen9.jpg
Pumped and keen for more fish, I continued on, but things were slow. It was perhaps half an hour later when I switched to a micro jig to see if I could at least raise a Pike when I hooked up again, with a fish pulling some line before going aerial and throwing the hooks again. Another chunky Tarpon gone. Two casts later and I received the same outcome - hook up, run, jump, gone. I continued with the micro jig and soon after I picked up a little cod. I then pushed on to Double Head and along the Rosslyn Bay Harbour wall, but didn't fish it overly hard and was there merely for a look.

With no mackerel coming to play, I got off the water as the wind hit my back early just as I was coming in to the beach. I continued on to Causeway Lake for a short session, to be off the water again around midday. At the Causeway I picked up a tiny Flathead on a small hardbody on a drop off, then a few minutes later as a boat putted past I picked up a nifty little Giant Trevally on my light rod.
CausewayGT_L.jpg
I fished on for a little longer, and picked up another tiny Flathead, then pushed briefly into the southern arm of the lake to shelter from the northerly wind and picked up four little Moses Perch and a Silver Biddy.

It was a good morning to be on the water and I was stoked to be back in the saddle! A solid fish topped it off and has me keen to get on the water again, hopefully soon!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Pollycraft
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Armidale, New England and Coffs
Kayaks: Adventure Island

Re: Queen of the Bluff - Metre Queenfish

#2 Post by Pollycraft » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Jealous as! Well done once again.
Cheers,
Brad

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#3 Post by NorthSIKer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 pm

That's a good queenie alright. Pity it didn't jump for the camera. Regardless, still a top fight to watch - had that line singing! :lek:

I've caught a number of smaller queenies from the kayak up here (up to 2kg) but the two larger ones I have hooked have both managed to tail wrap or something and bust off at the boat. Don't really know how it is possible but they make a clean cut through the leader. Probably just bad luck.
Ads22 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 am
I haven't eaten Queenfish before, but figured this was probably a little big to bother with so early in the morning. The sun was only just peeking over the horizon. It looked as if it had been grabbed at recently, too, with big gouges out of the tail.
I find them too dry to eat cooked, but others do it and enjoy. Usual rules for that line of fish - bleed well on capture and no good if have been frozen.

They are however really good for kokonda/kokoda/cerviche though if that is your thing. The flesh is firm and holds up well in the marinate. My favourite for my kokoda dish are small GTs and tealeaf trevally but queenfish is close after.

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#4 Post by Brendon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 am

Very jealous mate. Metre queenies are a jinx fish for me hooked several up at Exmouth never landed them .Awesome fun .top report and vids mate.
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

Mitch92
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: CQ

#5 Post by Mitch92 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am

Great work mate.

I've fished causeway a few times with no luck, but never really persevered either.

Good to see ironpot pulling the goods for you pretty regularly

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#6 Post by arpie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 pm

WOW!! From one extreme to the other!! Massive Queen!! Well done getting that in!!
Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#7 Post by Ads22 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Pollycraft wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 pm
Jealous as! Well done once again.
Thanks Pollycraft, plenty of luck. A local young fella asked why I have been catching big fish and him little fish. Very much luck!
NorthSIKer wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 pm
That's a good queenie alright. Pity it didn't jump for the camera. Regardless, still a top fight to watch - had that line singing! :lek:

I find them too dry to eat cooked, but others do it and enjoy. Usual rules for that line of fish - bleed well on capture and no good if have been frozen.

They are however really good for kokonda/kokoda/cerviche though if that is your thing. The flesh is firm and holds up well in the marinate. My favourite for my kokoda dish are small GTs and tealeaf trevally but queenfish is close after.
Thanks NorthSIKer. It was pretty awesome to catch and experience one that size. The only jump was when it tried to jump into my face at the yak! I figured they would be quite firm, and I like the sound of the Kokoda or Ceviche dishes, well worth a try. I would also think the firm flesh would go well with a curry. But, if you feel they are too dry, try a Thai curry and whack it into a pie! Or, just cook it in some coconut milk with lime and black pepper and kaffir leaves - whack the fillet on some Turkish bread with some other toppings with a little of the sauce. Awesome burgers I'd reckon! Works well with lots of fish, my family love them like that. I tend to do them different each time, though!
Brendon wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 am
Very jealous mate. Metre queenies are a jinx fish for me hooked several up at Exmouth never landed them .Awesome fun .top report and vids mate.
Cheers Brendon. Yeah, very lucky. My first legal Barra went a metre and was a clean fight. My next metre Barra was a clean fight and there wasn't too much drama in this Queenie fight, either. Very lucky, and having 80lb leader was probably helpful on this occasion. But you guys catch some brutes over there. I might have to find myself a conference to attend over there and come for a fish!!
Mitch92 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
Great work mate.

I've fished causeway a few times with no luck, but never really persevered either.

Good to see ironpot pulling the goods for you pretty regularly
Cheers Mitch. Ironpot has been hit and miss for me in the past, Mackerel look like they might have shifted on. Not sure how it will fish now, with no Pike around the other day either. The Causeway has plenty of fish, it's just working them out. I have worked out some patterns now, with the help of some others, but a lot of what I catch is trolling the deeper channels and drop-offs (mind you it is all shallow!). I think the larger Flathead haven't been around lately, but could be wrong.
arpie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:29 pm
WOW!! From one extreme to the other!! Massive Queen!! Well done getting that in!!
Roberta
Thanks arpie! A lot of fun, that's for sure. I really would love to catch a bigger GT one day. Those little guys pack some punch at their size, so an adult would be tough and mean in the yak. It's blowing pretty hard here at the moment, and Barra closed season means not a lot of value in some of the skinnier waters here. Tied in with limited time and it's not a lot of window for fishing at the moment.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525

#8 Post by Jamie D » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 pm

What a cracker of a fish

Return to “OffShore Reports”