Pure cobiarse

So who's been offshore recently? How did you go?
unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Pure cobiarse

#1 Post by unsinkable 2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:28 pm

I have been keen to get up to Teewah beach for a long time, and these holidays right after dad had got his new surf fisha set up and ready to go seemed like a pretty good time. The car was packed by 0900 and the 'yaks were secured for the 4 or so hour drive from toowoomba, and we picked a nice shady spot. Spent a few more hours setting up camp, having a bite to eat for a late lunch and having a look at the numerous whales going nuts in close. The beach conditions looked pretty good if you ask me:
IMG_1030JPG.jpg
So we launched pretty easily a bit later in the afternoon than ideal and set out looking for something somewhere. With just a quick session in mind, I just threw in a few lures and headed off. Much to my delight, my sounder lit right up with a big school of bait almost immediately upon hitting about 13m of depth (a very short paddle), so I pulled up there and two casts in had a mid-40s squire in the hatch. I was just getting ready to drop again when dad stops and brings me over to cut out a rudder wrap that he managed to acquire in what had to be record time, so I stopped for a few minutes to fix that, then retrieved his paddle which apparently he didn't tie his leash too particularly well! :lol: . Ah well, standard starting mistakes out of the way it was time to put a few more fish into the hatches. It didn't take too long at all to find more bait schools, and with them, snapper which were just nailing jigs, slugs and plastics, often on the drop. Managed a few other bits and pieces of bycatch including an undersized pearlie which is a first for me in water that shallow. Also dropped a really nice fish which I would call for 65+ just as I got colour thanks to a spat hook. It was a session where it was almost hard to not have a bend in the rod. In about an hour's time, both of us had bagged out on squire with the best a tad under 50cm.
IMG_1033JPG.jpg
Fish for dinner and off to bed ready for the morning sesh.

Paddled off in high hopes, trying to not get too close to any whales. Bait schools were a bit further south today, but quickly got into a good grinner (easy 50cm+). jigged up a lone live yakka to swim along out the back, then got onto a couple of mid 40s snapper and a nice dusky flathead on micro jigs over 1.5 hours or so.
snap screenshot.jpg
Put out a garfish on a mackerel rig which soon got me a 50cm snapper, then decided it was time to head back in so put a sinker above the still untouched yakka and slowly paddled back up towards the camp site. Dad told me he was heading for the beach too, so I bade him farewell and quickly stopped in on a couple of patches of coffee rock for a few little maori cod and a moses perch. As I was sitting there playing around, I saw a big school of average sized tuna travelling along in one of the swells, so tied a little stickbait on to my plastics rod. This was a mistake, as I soon cast it off when the line wrapped around a runner and sent it flying. That sucked. It was topped off by a very slow take on my yakka which was, as expected, another cracking grinner- this one well over 60cm. Right after I took that off, I turned around, and to my extreme surprise saw 4 big shapes cruising towards me- Cobes!

I would have thought them to be around 10-15kg, and with two of my lines out of action I frantically turned around to look for something to throw at them! As luck would have it, I had a garfish on a pin rig with twin SL12s which I was trolling in the hope of a tuna or a cobe earlier on, and had all but forgotten about it, sitting on my tld 15. I figured the 30lb mono would be adequate for the fish that I could still see coming towards me, so I put a surprisingly un-birdsnested cast in which landed about 10m in front of the pack. Then, a bigger one seemed to come out of nowhere- I honestly hadn't seen it swimming along- and charged in for the bait, by this time directly behind the stern of my kayak. Line started peeling off so I slowly eased up the lever and it didn't slow down. The nose of the yak spun around and I settled in for a long fight on 30lb line. A few solid runs and a bit of a sleigh ride had me in a bit deeper water northeast 15 minutes later, and I slowly started gaining a bit back. The fish then bolted straight at me, sat under the yak for 5 seconds, dived and then headed outwards again. Another 10 minutes, rinse and repeat, but this time it came up a bit closer to the surface and just in range for me to see a bit of colour, then bolted off and down. Next time it came up was a bit quicker, and this time I got a good look in- It looked a lot bigger now than when it ate the bait, that is for certain! What's more is that I can see that at least the lead hook has pinned it in the pectoral fin, which as it turns out proved to be a surprisingly good hold despite the awkward angle for putting pressure on the fish.
I managed to grab the leader and sort of waved the gaff in its face in a mildly threatening, but painstakingly obviously futile manner, making sure that my reel was in freespool in preparation for the incoming dive, which happened soon thereafter.
cobe action shot.jpg
It then took another 10 minutes or so to get it up in range again, and this time I sort of managed to poke it in the side with the gaff which annoyed it immensely, prompting it to start barrel rolling before taking off downwards at speed. It was around about now that I wasn't too pissed off about being pissed off at being bitten/busted off (say that three times fast) at Adder Rock on single strand wire, because I went way overboard and changed all of my rigs to 125lb 49 strand which wasn't going to kink and break no matter how much twisting and turning this thing did.
shit gaff shot.jpg
So with that first big dive over and done with and the gopro battery finished, it settled into the following pattern: go for a big, hard run, come up near the surface, get it next to the kayak, "how the f**k am I going to gaff this thing- it's too wide and its skin is too thick", big deep fast dive after just getting the rod in hand, and repeat. This happened probably another 5 or 6 times over an hour, then it came up closer than ever- I struck hard with the gaff and managed to get through the skin. then found out that that was a big mistake- he still wasn't done yet. Fortunately it twisted off before I either dropped the gaff or came in after it, but after that big struggle it only had two more runs left before it was laying beside the 'yak properly tired out- with the SL12 still sitting nicely in the bony pectoral fin of all places.

Figuring out where I could actually gaff the thing still took me a while, but I settled for the mouth and after a few goes with shaky hands sank it in nicely. I then was really wishing that dad hadn't headed in, but gave landing it a few goes anyway. I braced myself and tried to lift. Nope. No way. that thing is not coming in. I tried again. Still not happening. On my third go though I managed to get half of its weight into my lap and a hand in its gill, where I managed to slide it forward into the hatch- just. The tail hung quite proud but it jammed in with a little 'persuasion'. Rods collapsed, reels off, and they just slid in on the top sides of the hatch. The paddle home was definitely a bit nose-heavy, and I stacked it nicely in the surf zone.
IMG_1083JPG.jpg
Had to gaff it in the pec fin again to pull it out of the hatch, but with a little help from 'trev', the bloke in the campsite next to us, it was on the beach for a few piccies :)
IMG_1074JPG.jpg
IMG_1063JPG.jpg
IMG_1058JPG.jpg
Ended up being 165 on the measuring tape, and I think it wouldn't be too far off to call for a 30kg fish. I'll take it for my first ever cobe! filleted chunks are all vacpacked and frozen by now, and trev reckons the tail end of the frame on the barbie was beautiful!
Teewah is an awesome place and I definitely reckon I'll be back whenever I get the chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by unsinkable 2 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400, Viking Espri, Perception Sound 9.5

Re: Pure cobiarse

#2 Post by Ftp » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:14 pm

O M F G?!?! what a fish!!! congrats!!!!

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

#3 Post by Edstar » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Great story, great fish, what a great holiday.

Edstar

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by unsinkable 2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Ftp wrote:O M F G?!?! what a fish!!! congrats!!!!
I just wish I got some pics of those grinner
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

enjoylife
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs harbour
Kayaks: prowler 13.5 ,adventure island,safari

#5 Post by enjoylife » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:49 pm

:drib: :drib: what a fish, what a story
great work thanks for posting
cheers, Dennis :smi:

simons rat
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: brisbane

#6 Post by simons rat » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:12 pm

woohoo :gu: :gu:

thanks for sharing!!!!!!

S

PS: get some of those shots into photo of the month ....
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48791
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A little something else ....

Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BladeKayakTV
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishfidler ... 258444623/

TJofTheBay
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45

#7 Post by TJofTheBay » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Wow !! Damn that cobia is solid .
Congrats man , awesome report !

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

#8 Post by pavo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Congrats that's a monster

carnster
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: gold coast
Kayaks: Profisha and plastic

#9 Post by carnster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Wow fantastic capture Owen, big congrats mate. A 165cm cobia would certainly be in the 30kg range.

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by unsinkable 2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks guys

Here's some of the footage that I got of it too
PBs

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#11 Post by Lazybugger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:14 pm

carnster wrote:Wow fantastic capture Owen, big congrats mate. A 165cm cobia would certainly be in the 30kg range.

Chris,

We reckon this might be closer to 40kg and possibly over.

Cav caught one today that went 135cm and 25kg. This one is a foot longer and definitely fatter. The best conversion table we have off the net so far (http://fishbull.noaa.gov/05franks.pdf ) seems to confirm the 40kg range would be a reasonable guess assuming a 140-145ish fork length.

FEARNOBEER
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

#12 Post by FEARNOBEER » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

carnster
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: gold coast
Kayaks: Profisha and plastic

#13 Post by carnster » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Lazybugger wrote:
carnster wrote:Wow fantastic capture Owen, big congrats mate. A 165cm cobia would certainly be in the 30kg range.

Chris,

We reckon this might be closer to 40kg and possibly over.

Cav caught one today that went 135cm and 25kg. This one is a foot longer and definitely fatter. The best conversion table we have off the net so far (http://fishbull.noaa.gov/05franks.pdf ) seems to confirm the 40kg range would be a reasonable guess assuming a 140-145ish fork length.
No worries mate.

pazz
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs Harbour / Nth Coast NSW
Kayaks: Wilderness Aspire 105, 2015 Revo 13

#14 Post by pazz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Wow.
Pig of a fish - great job landing it & thanks for posting.
Cheers
Pazz

creaseburger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

#15 Post by creaseburger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Wooowza. Very keen for a teewah trip now. Thanks for sharing

Return to “OffShore Reports”