Fingermark, Grunter and more

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
SpiritFisha
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg
Kayaks: Spirit CTR, Ocean Scupper Angler

Fingermark, Grunter and more

#1 Post by SpiritFisha » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Tried a new creek yesterday morning in the Bundaberg area. While there were too many boats for my liking the fishing was not bad and I got a nice Fingermark, a few Grunter and a small Trevally.

After a bit of rain last night, and seeing that the forecast was for light winds, I went for a quick paddle on the ocean this morning hoping to get some School or Spanish Mackerel. To my surprise Longtail/Mack Tunas were jumping everywhere, but try as I might I could not tempt them on hard bodies or metal lures. Very frustrating to see them jump all around you and you can't get them to take a lure. Eventually caught a small school mackerel, barely a feed.
Fingermark.jpg
Grunter.jpg
Trevally.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spirit CRT
If I'm not fishing, I'm thinking about it....

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

Re: Fingermark, Grunter and more

#2 Post by hillbilly » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm

It's nice to see somebody putting up a report but disappointed knowing that once there were so many active posters on this site and now there seems so very few. I would be very happy catching the fish that are in your post so well done. I was up in Bundaberg for a couple of days (last time was in 2010 or 2011) and I went for a look at Lake Gregory being pleasantly surprised with just how much water it had in it so next time I'm up there I'll be taking the kayak.

As far as I know KFDU must now be secure as it has a lock symbol in the website. Correct me if I'm wrong. Regards Bill
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

cwsco
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: fraser coast
Kayaks: native watercraft slayer 13

#3 Post by cwsco » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 pm

nice fish Spiritfisha!
Pbs flathead 73cm bream 42cm whiting 40cm grunter 48cm mulloway 80cm spotty mack 80cm cod 45 cm

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#4 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:17 am

You've got to be happy getting into a fingermark. Looks like a nice size of an estuary one too.
SpiritFisha wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:45 pm
To my surprise Longtail/Mack Tunas were jumping everywhere, but try as I might I could not tempt them on hard bodies or metal lures. Very frustrating to see them jump all around you and you can't get them to take a lure.
What can work well for finicky tuna are unweighted, or very lightly weighted flies. Most of my tuna have been on this and I know a good stinkboat fisherman who has had days when all they will take are unweighted flies trolled a long way out the back. I like all white or mostly white lefty's deceivers. Just fish them on spin gear. Great thing is that they work well at trolling speeds from almost still to very fast, so great action from a kayak.

Return to “Estuary Reports”