Tallebudgera 14/11 (long time between drinks)

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
paul10
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere around Brisbane

Tallebudgera 14/11 (long time between drinks)

#1 Post by paul10 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi everyone.

Well it's been about 5yrs since I was on here and able to post a report. My eldest boy who was in my earlier posts is now 16 and probably too big to fit in my yak as well as he used to, so decided my youngest who has just turned 12, would join me to see if all my old gear still worked.

After only a weeks preparation I decided that Tallebudgera Creek would be a good spot to get back into kayak fishing again. My son was looking forward to going so we headed down to our launch site and arrived about 4:40am and set everything up. On the water for the first time and in a totally new spot for me hoping everything was going to go ok. :roll:

Tide times were about a couple of hours after low and we headed straight to the northern bank to head up the creek. Unfortunately there was not as much water as I would have liked and we had no luck for the first hour. Decided to come back out of the creek and head up one of the canals to see if things would improve.

Shoulders were starting to complain as we trolled my old faithful SX40 and a soft plastic past the pontoons hoping to get something for the boy. We had gone south for what seemed like ages when just as I decided to stop for a break the SP was hit.

Liam took the rod and reeled in what I think was a nice little trevally. He was wrapped! I also realised I had brought the wrong camera lense so could not take good pictures of both fish and angler together.
IMG_2756.jpg
After stopped for a break and some food I told Liam we would head back as some storm clouds were gathering and I was knackered. :blah:

We set off and within 5 mins something a bit bigger hit the SX40 and Liam started his battle. Drag was a bit light and he wasn't making headway so after a quick adjustment he gained some line and eventually pulled in a 51cm Cobia. He was absolutely ecstatic and couldn't believe it when I told him I have never caught one before.
IMG_2757.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg
Not much luck on the way back to the launch spot but a luckless grinner running into some very sharp trebles with our final catch of the day
IMG_2760.jpg
I was gone by the time we got back as trying to paddle against an incoming tide is not much fun but Liam was so happy we caught some fish he just didn't want to stop talking about it. That is until the early start caught up to him and he crashed on the way home.

Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Extreme Outlaw

sigs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Tweed valley

Re: Tallebudgera 14/11 (long time between drinks)

#2 Post by sigs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Nice report, interesting to see a cobia caught in a canal! well done

paul10
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere around Brisbane

#3 Post by paul10 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Here is a map of where we went just because I wanted to show how far in the canals that Cobia was.

Tallebudgera Kayak Trip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Extreme Outlaw

Boofhead03
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Jacobs Well, Gold Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback x 2

#4 Post by Boofhead03 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Good range of fish there, good to see you getting the next generation of fishermen started. :gu:

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#5 Post by Jamie D » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 pm

That's the first time I've heard of a cobia being caught in an estuary , cool experience !!!

coattail rider
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Nowra
Kayaks: mini x, revo 13

#6 Post by coattail rider » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Jamie D wrote:That's the first time I've heard of a cobia being caught in an estuary , cool experience !!!
theres been a few big ones caught in the hastings river

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/por ... river-cobe
Kayak PBs

Spotted Mack 87cm ,Murray cod 73cm,Trout Cod 35cm, Snapper 65cm, Mangrove Jack 54cm, Kingfish 74cm, Sooty Grunter 40cm, A. salmon 58cm, Bream 38cm, Flathead 70cm, GT 50cm, Jewfish 60cm, Yellowbelly 55cm, Bass 45cm (to the fork), Estuary Perch 50cm, Tailor 62cm, Squid 45cm, Redfin 36cm, Flounder 37cm, Mac Tuna 38cm, Macquarie Perch 33cm, Rainbow trout 47cm,Bonito 47cm Albatross 75cm (wingspan!)

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#7 Post by Jamie D » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

coattail rider wrote:
Jamie D wrote:That's the first time I've heard of a cobia being caught in an estuary , cool experience !!!
theres been a few big ones caught in the hastings river

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/por ... river-cobe
Well there you go . Not a regular thing to see though but cool , up there with mackerel in the rivers , I seen that a couple of times and that blew my mind to.

Return to “Estuary Reports”