Brisbane Urban Bass

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400, Viking Espri, Perception Sound 9.5

Brisbane Urban Bass

#1 Post by Ftp » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:16 am

image.jpg
G'day all,

On Friday (yesterday) I decided to go and catch some Bass in a local creek. For anyone that's read any of my posts or come out fishing with me will attest to, I'm pretty parochial about The Mighty Brisbane River, so it was that I set out pretty close to home to catch one of my favourite fish..

I was up at 4:30am after having been woken by rain at 1:15am and was feeling somewhat nonplussed about the thought of cold and wet kayaking. Anyway, I put aside my frail Queensland concerns about perfect weather and set forth. In terms of setting forth, I drove over a bridge to the next suburb and paddled up the closest creek (I'm not that adventurous).
The creek I went up is tidal and showed very few signs of life and even less sign of flow from the rain. The lack of flow presented a couple of travel issues and portage through the delightful soup of the mudflats ensued. After regaining some water to paddle in the first fish was caught in a very VERY Bassy pool of deep water bend and undercut banks supporting tree roots.. It was a bream of around 30cm.

Further up I went until I reached a normally productive spot that was as low as I have ever seen it! No fish just weedbeds that normally hold Bass exposed for me to carry a kayak across. Just around the next bend was my favourite Bassy submerged tree. I changed lure to an IMA Survivor 50 which is a metallic green sinking minnow that I fish like a plastic just faster, or a slow MicroJig sort of style. Anyway, I cast the little bloke at the tree and after a couple of hops the line straightened up and the drag was dragged!! Woohoo!! Bass!! After a nice fight and a couple of last ditch runs I landed what looked to be low 40s size FAT Bass!! I love these fish. After a quick pic, back it went.

Happy with my results I headed back to work but disturbed a Threadfin in the shallows... Out went my little Survivor 50 (50mm 5g size 12 hooks) and after a couple of twitching jerks... BOOM!!!! Far out Threadfin are just insanely powerful!! This thing (bigger than my leg) tore drag, leapt clear of the water, zigged and zagged then re-emerged in full flight clear of the water.... My poor little 8lb Baitcaster and 8lb leader could not even slow the thing down!!
And then the inevitable happened. Another lure donated to the River Gods.. Oh well, great start to the day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muzza111
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: kiama to ulladulla
Kayaks: lime green OK prowler 4.3

Re: Brisbane Urban Bass

#2 Post by muzza111 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:11 am

Sounds like an exciting morning! Are lost lures tax deductible??
Yak PB's Kingfish 81cm Snapper 67cm Bream 37cm Groper 52cm Flathead 52cm

beetle
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane River/SEQ Dams/Moreton Bay
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT, Aspire 105

#3 Post by beetle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Nice report Richard. I manages a very fat and health 60cm flatty at "the spot" last weekend. Right alongside a couple of good bass just a half hour earlier. Very diverse little system that!

LukeOnThePine
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Pine rivers

#4 Post by LukeOnThePine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Nice chub bass there mate, I fished for 6 ours in the stretch of brissy river upto Wivenhoe wall with not even a sniff, there where water dragons, kingfishers and bait all the signs of bass but nothing happened I'm stumped why they weren't on the chew maybe the rains last night pissed em off a bit

Plasman
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Hobie PA 12 & Pedalfish 10

#5 Post by Plasman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Nice work mate, would've been great to land the thready!
With my pending 1 month prefish ban on the Gold Coast, this is the inspiration I need :grin:
Image Image

http://www.prolureaustralia.com.au/
Member of the Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Club

PA Pete
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Bundaberg/Baffel creek
Kayaks: Mini X

#6 Post by PA Pete » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Nice bass mate good post very diverse system you fish well done.
Cheers Pete

Kayak PB's
Flathead - 94cm, Bream - 52cm, Tailor - 67cm, Mulloway - 1.225cm, Mangrove Jack - 58cm, Queenfish - 78cm, Grunter - 72cm, Bull Shark - 1.45cm, Whiting - 41cm, Long Tom - 1.56cm, GT - 43cm, Bass - 45cm

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#7 Post by Dodge » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:29 am

Nice result in the river mate, and hope you get another crack at the threadie soon.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

TJofTheBay
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45

#8 Post by TJofTheBay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Great report , awesome bass from the wild !
Pity about the thready , doesn't hurt as much losing lures to good fish . Just keeps you coming back :)

ShortyK
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere from Sunshine to the Gold Coast and Brisbane
Kayaks: Not enough.....

#9 Post by ShortyK » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm

That is a nice Bass for that location Mate, solid.
PB's from Yak:
Flathead 59cm, Bream 35cm,
Tailor 25cm, Moses Perch 28cm,
Wild Bass 40cm, Travelly 27cm,
Whiting 33cm, Eaustry Cod 28cm,
Snapper 51cm, Impoundment Bass 40cm
Reef shark about 2m, Spangeld Emperor 28cm
Longtail Tuna 118cm, Spanish Mackerel 117cm
Wild Yellow belly 37cm.

There is nothing more relaxing than a day on the water in a Kayak.

Return to “Estuary Reports”