The fish have moved to the lower lake! :)

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

The fish have moved to the lower lake! :)

#1 Post by arpie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi guys

FINALLY, the fish have made it down to the lower lake ... it has been slim pickings in the last few weeks .... then BINGO!!!

I headed over to Tuncurry & met up with ClintonYakker .... visiting from South Australia ..... it was a quiet morning - my 'usual spots' didn't fire & only after Ross had returned to camp, did the fish start to fire! :roll:
P7190048.jpg
THESE are the sort of racks you want to fish - all coated with old oysters ....
P7190054.jpg
My first legal bream on a Crackjack that I'd coloured up red - the bream LOVED IT!!
P7190053.jpg
Another one fell to the Crackjack
P7190057.jpg
Ad another one
P7190061.jpg
The Permanent marker 'red' was running a bit 'thin' .... so I used the Spke-it Garlic Scented marker Pen from http://www.MasterAngler.com.au to colour it again ....
P7190066.jpg
Boom!!
P7190068.jpg
And some smaller ones came thru, then a nice flattie!! He came home for dinner! :lek:
P7190077.jpg
Then back to the bream again!
P7190079.jpg
Did I tell you that these were all caught in the racks?? They fight DOUBLE HARD in the racks!! :gu:
BOOM!!
P7190081.jpg
Then over to the Paddock next time ..... and the GGs were riding high this time!! :gu:
P7270024.jpg
Another one ...
P7270027.jpg
I was almost getting a hook up on every cast!! It was just amazing! And the fish were averaging low to mid 30s!
P7270032.jpg
Another fat one ... and I dropped 2 'whoppers' when they busted barbs off the very fine hooks on the lures!! :beye:
P7270036.jpg
A DTSCO came to the party too
P7270041.jpg
Then a nice blue nose ....
P7270047.jpg
P7270049.jpg
He deserved a selfie
P7270055.jpg
I also dropped two quite big tailor (at least 50cm ... I saw them as they pulled away time & again when they saw the yak!) They straightened the barb on my GG! :?:

Last decent fish of the couple of sessions ......
P7290004.jpg
And another flattie ...
P7290007.jpg
(and this was after dropping 2 nice bream - one yak side & the other jumped out of the yak when he fell off the lure & I hadn't used a net! :oops:

All up - an awesome couple of session!~ :lek: Can't wait to get back again soon!!!

cheers & tight lines!

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Ozzybass
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

Re: The fish have moved to the lower lake! :)

#2 Post by Ozzybass » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:34 pm

Amazing effort Roberta! I've just come off 2 donut sessions in a row blackfishing! Devastated.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 pm

I can see why you love that area. Such quality fish! :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Brendon
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Perth
Kayaks: Hobie Revo Hobie Quest Finn Gizmo

#4 Post by Brendon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:10 am

Great report Roberta.
As you know i am a big fan of the red crack jacks as well. That Garlic scented red pen is cool.
Cheers Brendon
https://www.instagram.com/brendonchambers/

Shark Sheild courtesy of Steve @ http://www.wildwatersports.com.au/ please support businesses that support KFDU !

arpie

#5 Post by arpie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks guys

Hey Tham .... I've not done well on blackfish recently either! :roll: 2 donuts for me too. I can see them everywhere but they are not eating. Even the boaties are complaining as well! And decent weed is very hard to find! :( A local fishing guide is now taking people out on black fishing tours ($100 each) and he reckons he drove 7hrs to get HEAPS of decent weed!! Check THIS OUT ..... this was ALL OVER a beach in Hastings (south coast UK) .... shame I couldn't vac pack it & send it home! :?:

SUCH A WASTE - just growing on the baffles along the pebbly beach of Hastings - not a grain of sand there!
P7140225.jpg
P7140226.jpg
P7140229.jpg

Hey Rocket .... I have a few spots that often 'produce' ..... and with the fish moving in now - it's been fun! :lek: Shame the 2 whoppers busted the barbs! I didn't chase them, as I didn't want to spook any fish still there .... so my gear REALLY got a hard workout as I was staked in the shallows!!

Grab one of the pens, Brendon and just leave it on the yak - they give a deeper, darker red that lasts longer & are heavily garlic scented as well. Rob has about 7 different colours ..... I want to get the yellow one as well! :wink: The CJ in the pic is the Trheadfin

I'll be heading out next week (weather & wind permitting) with fly fishing guru Brian Henderson! I'd LOVE to see him lock onto some of the beasts that I know live there! My current BC medication has aggravated my arthritis something SHOCKING tho & my R/H thumb area is incredibly sore now .... I can barely hold a cup of tea - I can't grind pepper with it - I am trying to work out different methods of approaching all sorts of things - as it DOES affect my 'reeling in' a bit too! :?: Even slinging my shoulder bag onto my shoulder or adjusting it (usually using that thumb) almost kills me! :cry:

cheers

Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rory222
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Riverina, NE Vic & Wallis Lake
Kayaks: Hobie Outback (Dune), Hobie Sport (Blue), Hobie PA14 (Dune)

#6 Post by Rory222 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Gees I need some time off. I'm so salt deprived and your reports have me drooling :idiot:

Fantastic effort Roberta as always. Hope to get up there sometime soon.
Yak PB's
Murray Cod - 68cm
Trout Cod - 58cm
Yellowbelly - 53cm
Flathead - 91cm
Bream - 43cm
Whiting - 40cm
Tailor - 45cm
Trevally - 43cm
Redfin - 25cm
Blackfish - 39cm
Tarwhine - 36cm
Carp - 74cm
River Blackfish - 15cm

clintonyakker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: port clinton

#7 Post by clintonyakker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Well done!! I should have hung around. Got out several times after fished up further near the red and white poleand raised some flatties . Caught bream near the pipes where i met you on the first day. Unfortunately no camera. Great to meet you. We are off to coffs tomorrow tight lines clintonyakker

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft, Freak 8 ft

#8 Post by Kareless1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Gday Roberta if you're still having trouble grinding your pepper go out and buy an electric s n p grinder. We had one and it worked really well until it was dropped one too many times. Les :egrin:
It's okay not to be okay...
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#9 Post by Snapperpaddy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 pm

GENIUS
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

wongus
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 13 & Perception Swing

#10 Post by wongus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:56 pm

Wow... What an awesome session. You really have your local sussed out. Great trip report!

Do you use certain lures in different spots or just what you feel like tying on at the time. What then prompts you to change lures if you are having success with the lure you already have on?
Cheers
Danny

Yak PB's: Bream 41cm, Tailor 35cm (approx), Saratoga 45 (approx.), Flathead 72cm, Bass 56cm, Yellowbelly 54cm, Estuary Cod 55cm, Snapper 70cm, Mack Tuna 73cm, Longtail Tuna 95cm, Shark (Black Tip Reef) 92cm.

arpie

#11 Post by arpie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm

.....Do you use certain lures in different spots or just what you feel like tying on at the time. What then prompts you to change lures if you are having success with the lure you already have on?.....

I am a creature of habit, Danny ..... if I've caught fish there before on a specific lure - it is usually the first one I try there. If they don't bite on that one - I'll try one of my other 'go to' lures - so I often rotate between GGs, CJs, DTSCOs, Umpas and Saemis! Yeah, I know, it sounds like a plug for Damiki & Pontoon 21 .... but that is because they are my GO TO lures!!! :gu:

I really SHOULD start using more plastics (WAY cheaper when you get busted off!!) But I just don't have much confidence in my own SP technique just now ...... tho I keep meaning to trying again! :wink:

cheers

Roberta

flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

#12 Post by flattyakker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Awesome stuff Roberta

Don't you love a great day after a lousy break? I'm itching to get back on the water soon and give the flatties a go:) Maybe even get another squid session in first:wink:
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

Return to “Estuary Reports”