My first big bass

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Ramjet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW Hunter Valley

My first big bass

#1 Post by Ramjet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Went out for my 2nd time after bass. I followed the advice I found on this forum for a location. Thanks :grin:
So here is a short video of my catch.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uTN-kAKdHQI[/youtube]

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

Re: My first big bass

#2 Post by StevenM » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:49 am

See you kept that one so cool.

However if you are going to release get a silicone net. They don’t damage the slime on the fish like the net style does.

Ramjet
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Ramjet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks for the reply Steven.
Yes I kept and ate that one.Feeling guilty now though. It was the first Bass big enough to eat I have caught and We had never eaten bass before. After getting the same advice about the silicone net I will be getting one. I intend to release most bass I catch. Maybe just a medium size one to eat occasionally.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't believe in feeling guilty about these things. You caught the fish, you prepped the fish, you ate the fish. It's a pretty important process as far as I'm concerned. I haven't caught a Bass, let alone tasted one, but imagine they'd be similar to Estuary Perch, which is really nice. But let's just say, I love fish. I caught a nice Barra last week, it was tagged but I decided to eat it anyway, in its place I tagged and released a juvenile. My family had a thoroughly lovely feed, and some extended family were over today and they were stunned by the quality of the Barra, Leek and Potato pie I presented them with. Turns out, the tag data can't be found on this fish anyway.

Don't be ashamed or guilty for eating what you catch, it's a pretty pure and organic process. As long as it's done with respect.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Ramjet
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Ramjet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks Ads. It was a very nice fish to eat.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#6 Post by arpie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Well done, mate! Cracker bass!! YEp, I reckon you’ll find a silicon net easier for all your fishing ..... MUCH easier for not getting hooks caught up in too.

I am with Ads on this one, absolutely nothing wrong with a feed of bass now and then. Matter of fact, I ate the very first one I ever caught - a 50cm thumper from Lake Glenbawn!! It was lovely! I’ve had a couple from Boondooma dam too. :wink:

I’ve just found out that there is apparently no size limit in NSW bass impoundments!! That is SO wrong! There is a limit of 2 fish a day, with 4 in possession ..... I couldn’t believe it when Blackant mentioned it at the Lake St Clair Bass Bash this weekend!!

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#7 Post by Dodge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 am

Ramjet congrats on that bass mate, but actually is you that has now been hooked on those great sport fish.

As others have said buy a silicone net, I put off buying one for over 20 years due to the cost, instead buying cheaper other no knot styles of net. Eventually decided to bite the bullet and bought a silicone net when a special came up, and after using it immediately gave myself an uppercut for not buying one years before, easier to use, the fish are happy and hooks rarely get caught in net.
arpie wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 pm
I’ve just found out that there is apparently no size limit in NSW bass impoundments!!
Roberta amazed to read the NSW no limit rule in dams.

In Qld we have a 30cms minimum size, and even though good fighters at that size, we only take home a bass from the dam if above about 35, anything less not enough fillet size for cleaning effort
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Kareless1
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Queensland Northern NSW
Kayaks: Pedalcraft 10 ft, Freak 8 ft

#8 Post by Kareless1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Agree with the others, a silicon net is best as not only does it not hurt the fish they just seem to slide around in in smoothly until get a safe grip. As Dodge said above 35cm is best and I usually let under 40 go unless late in the session. Resist the addiction as it can become an all consuming passion that makes you forget all the other great species we have here in Oz that are fun to catch but even better tasting. Les :egrin:
It's okay not to be okay...
Best fish; Aust Bass 51cm, Bream 30cm, Barra 65cm, Flathead 49cm, Whiting 27cm, Trevally 35cm

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#9 Post by StevenM » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 am

Never feel guilty about following the law.

Don’t let others judgement effect you. You have done nothing wrong.

Ftp
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Fig tree pocket
Kayaks: Viking Profish 400, Viking Espri, Perception Sound 9.5

#10 Post by Ftp » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Great fish mate! They put a real fight in that sort of country. As other shave said.. beware the Bass addiction.. I love chasing them and get so disappointed by all the big Bream that I seem to get as bycatch!
I have always wondered what Bass tastes like.. I might have to find out very soon!!
Congrats on a great fish

Return to “Estuary Reports”