Day out at lake Illawarra

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

Day out at lake Illawarra

#1 Post by Beardypaul » Tue May 19, 2020 7:17 pm

yesterday had an RDO so contacted Kev, and made our way down the hill, arrived at the crack of dawn, about 8:30. Well that's early enough at our age, the tide was just picking up pace on the way out. I thought it too late in the season for flathead and whiting, so I picked up a pack of prawns from the Appin servo and a loaf of Helgars white bread at Windang shops, thinking I may get some mullet. I had rigged my blackfish rod as well as a couple of lure chucker rods. They were armed with poddy mullet lures, just in case some flathead or Tailor was around. We launched at the ramp just east of the bridge on the north side, there was no wind and the odd drop of rain. we made our way over to the opposite side off the bridge, where we hoped the current would be less, and headed upstream not a touch on the lures just a lot of weed. But I noticed some surface action near a drop-off, so I made my way about twenty metres past it and anchored using my anchor trolly on the sturn. So I was facing downstream towards the surface action. Got the Helgars in action as a dough ball on a size 6 circle hook I was in about 1.5 metres of water so I set the float at about 1 metre. a couple of minutes later I boated a nice bream about twenty six cm, I did a quick release after a photo the next cast his little brother came up about 23cm . Followed by a nice Blackfish 39.5 cm on prawn. At this stage Kev was wishing he had not left his float in the car, but he anchored up parallel and tried drifting some unweighted bait. The weed played havoc with this but he still managed a couple of hookups. in total I got 5 bream two mullet and one blackfish. all the bream went back in while the mullet and blackfish went home with Kevin for dinner. we where off the water about 1:15 nice day on the water.

I like circle hooks as they always give an easy release and do less damage to fish than a lure.

I have photos taken on my Samsung phone, but this site says they are too big. so if you know how I can shrink them I am all ears.

HARTE
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba Qld
Kayaks: WS Aspire 105, Hobie PA12

Re: Day out at lake Illawarra

#2 Post by HARTE » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Well done, thanks for the report!

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#3 Post by Freewily » Wed May 20, 2020 9:17 pm

A good session Beardypaul. :lek: I just recently fished land based off the Lake Illawarra entrance breakwall. Caught a bream & lost 2 blackfish on bread. Caught a Tailor & nice Salmon on lure. And lost a salmon as it jumped & shook the lure out of its mouth. :?:
I think there is an app called Photo Resizer you can use for Android. I'm using it now. :grin:
IMG_20200520_51100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#4 Post by arpie » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am

Good one, boys
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Beardypaul » Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice on resizer free willy, I will have a shot at it on Saturday. Hows the leg going? can you get back in the yack yet?

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

#6 Post by Freewily » Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 pm

My foot is ok Beardypaul. :glad: I was just telling Arpie that I am ready to get in my yak & also be able to pull it up a ramp. So can't wait to get out in it. :grin:
I still have limited flexability & strength and it still swells. But in my yak I'm sure it will be ok.
Just disappointed I missed this year's topwater sessions.
But in saying that. I believe there is a good chance for topwater tailor & salmon on the run in tide. Just look hard for surface action which will give you a head start. Otherwise just have a few casts here and there with a popper when travelling. The salmon I caught only made very quiet surface swirls that actually attracted Terns before I noticed. :lek:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Beardypaul » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

fish from the outing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

#8 Post by Freewily » Sat May 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Nice catch Beardypaul. :lek: Well done.
I think I'll have to clear up my garage sooner to make it easier for me to get my kayak out. :lol:
You've inspired me.
Cheers & have fun! :grin:

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Beardypaul » Sun May 24, 2020 8:47 am

Thanks, Free Willy for the tip on resizing, my son showed me a system that is definitely easier than the Gimp I used to use on our old computer. Good luck on the garage, If your foot is still giving you trouble, you could do like Kevin and wack a small electric on a bracket that sits in the trolly holes behind the seat. just till your foot gets better. hope to see you on the water soon.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

#10 Post by Freewily » Sun May 24, 2020 10:48 am

Thanks Beardypaul. I'm quite sure I'll be able to pedal. As I can push the clutch in on my manual car. Plus pushing pedals may be easier than walking up steps with full body weight.
I'll keep an eye out for a yellow yak. Hoping to be on the water some time next month either in the lake or ocean around Windang island. :grin:

Return to “Estuary Reports”