lake illawarra today.

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

lake illawarra today.

#1 Post by Beardypaul » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 pm

made it down to the lake at about 8:15, launched on the north side just east of the bridge. very quiet only one other vehicle in the car park, could have something to do with the temperature of 14c with a stiff breeze from the south-west.
I experimented today in a way of cutting cost on burley, saw the local bloke at backers delight, and he gave me a bag of the bread crumbs from their bread slicing machine, Nice bloke. So before I launched, I mixed it with a few drops of tuna oil. then headed upstream under the bridge, half-frozen. once I cleared the island the wind picked up, this made my mind up for me. I did a U-turn and hid behind the island out of the wind, anchored up, and put out some burley. as I had Trolled a couple of double crank lures without a touch this seemed a better, and warmer option. not much happening then I got a hit that I played for about one and a half minutes before losing it. bugger, I was only using 4 kg line so I was a bit under gunned. then 10 minutes later I was on again. This time after about 2 minutes up came a nice beam, it broke the line after I had it netted. That put a smile on my face. so after a couple of photos, I put her back in, as a bream this size would be over 20 years old. Too valuable as a breeder to waste on a meal. So I hung around till the tide changed then headed off home, knowing to dress warmer next time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

Re: lake illawarra today.

#2 Post by hillbilly » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:36 am

A nice report to read. It's good to see a few people posting again and I would certainly post too if only I could catch something worth mentioning. Yes Bream are very slow growing but they are a prolific bread and butter fish to eat and are not endangered at this stage. Having a closed season would would certainly help if numbers were becoming too low. I noted the indent near your fish's head from some kind of wound, poor handling or other factors. Bream are certainly survivors.

I caught this Bream below many years ago in the Gold Coast Seaway and when it was landed I noted that it had a rubber ring around its body, something like the seal for a glass jar's lid. The seal immediately broke when I touched it and knowing what slow growers Bream were, I admired just how resilient a fish Bream are. I do love eating Bream but rarely fillet them as I don't like wasting too much flesh on any fish.

Regards Bill
img316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#3 Post by Freewily » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Nice catch Beardy paul. Yes that side of the island is so nice out of the westerlies or storms from the west. I beach the yak & go ashore on those days.
That dent on the bream's head is still a bit of a mystery to me.
It could be from fishing nets as well. But it seams to be bream more so than other similar shaped species like luderick & trevally. Squid usually bite my yellow tail baits like this off the rocks. But I would like to know if bream are found with the same head dent in waters where pro fishing nets are banned?
I respect anyone returning fish back to their water unharmed but also respect those that catch fish for a feed & don't waste them like hillbilly mentioned.
I do fillet my fish though but will cut as much meat as I can from the bones & that includes the outside of the rib cages also. I hate seeing people that have bought cooked fish from fish & chips shops cafes & restaurants who just leave half of it behind. That's where I see the most waste. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is a huge wastage of frozen fish that is bought also.
As for returning fish back to pro fished waters, good luck with that. You just might find your fish laying on the front counter of a fish shop within weeks later.
But less chance for your fish beardypaul as you caught it away from the pro fished waters. With any luck your bream will stick to the entrance & ocean.
I just thought the other day after I caught one Luderick after 5 hours of fishing. The value of that fish would be $125. Or $135 if you put in fuel cost to the lake & back plus a 2 to 5 dollars profit. That's going by a low wage of a worker being paid $25. an hour.
So aren't the fish better off by me catching & keeping my own food fish than buying fish? Oh well I suppose it keeps the pro fishers & sellers in a job. :?:
My photo shows my fish fillets and rib cage fillets for dinner which is appreciated by me & my family for dinner.
My view is business is greed & waste. Catching your own is appreciated. :grin:
IMG_20200623_56721.jpg
IMG_20200623_22763.jpg
IMG_20200623_43709.jpg
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Beardypaul » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm

yep I like a feed of fish to, but I must say bream is not my favourite eat, I would say my prefered table fish would go flathead, snapper, jewie, trout, sand mullet.
That's a nice plate of fish free willy, but no chips. As you fish the lake as a regular, what would be your favourite table fish from there?

HARTE
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba Qld
Kayaks: WS Aspire 105, Hobie PA12

#5 Post by HARTE » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Great stuff guys, well done!

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

#6 Post by Freewily » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Beardypaul. If I had to cook fish whole with skin on. Then Flathead is the one. :grin:
Other than that I like most fish filleted & especially skinned. The skin can change the way fish tastes in some ways. Mullet especially. Mullet can taste great with skin on if smoked or cooked over an open fire. It can taste ok on a bbq. But can taste crap if baked in oven or microwave.
But if skinned can taste great cooked any way you like. :grin:
One fish, the Rock blackfish tastes & smells absolutey disgusting with skin on! :lol: But take that skin off before cooking it's the total opposite. Absolutey superb to eat. :lek:
If mullet are ocean caught or caught as they come into an estuary they can taste pretty good with skin on.
Another thing I have been impressed with lately is putting freshly caught fish in the fridge to eat the next day. Not freezing it. I've yet to try this with bream. :grin: But now I fillet & skin all my fish. :glad:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Beardypaul » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 pm

All this talking of skinning fish reminded me of a funny situation that occurred when I was about 40 years younger. I had caught a bunch of nice leather jackets, so when I got home. I gave some to the neighbours, a nice pommy family just off the boat. The next day they told me that the fish was a disaster, it smoked out the whole kitchen. Yep I forgot to tell them to skin the fish before cooking them, I must admit, I did have a good laugh at there expense. So I think sharing knowledge on fish preparation is a good thing. Fish prep can mean the difference between a nice meal or a smokey kitchen, and no food on the table.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club

#8 Post by Freewily » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Haaaa! Funny. :lol:
Cheers & tight lines. :grin:

Return to “Estuary Reports”