a matter of ethics when fishing

Been fishing the estuaries? Let us know how you went.
Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

a matter of ethics when fishing

#1 Post by Beardypaul » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:16 am

went for a morning fish at Lake illawarra, The place was reasonably quiet. Except for a darn jet ski that kept going back and forwards across the main channel from the lake to the bridge. every time I moved it would catch up to me. In the end, I waved him down and spoke to the driver. He works for roads and maritime and was doing a survey of the channel depth, for possible future dredging. so can't complain the man is just doing his job, On the way back past the island there was a bloke in a tinne anchored up, he was having some success with bream and whiting. So I anchored up about 150 meters downstream of him to try my luck. NOW THE QUESTION, what would you consider a fair distance to leave between you and another fishing craft. I have always considered it polite to keep about as far away as you can cast a size 6 ball sinker.
I ask this because I was dumfounded to see 4 other tinnies gather around this poor bloke, withing 20 minutes. By around I mean some of them were within a boat length of him the furthest away would have been 18 metres. If it was me I would have had some non-polite words to these gentlemen. But this made me think, is there a recognised rule, regards to the right distance to anchor from an existing anchored craft.
Anyone out there, know?

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

Re: a matter of ethics when fishing

#2 Post by Freewily » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi BP. I just read on Maritime that one should keep a safe distance from other vessels to be able to manoeuvre or stop.
I'm with you on what you are saying. 50 to 150 metres is fine. It can be so annoying having someone pull up in front of your face to fish your area or get in your line of drift.
I've even had boaters & kayakers stop or drift past me within 4 metres facing me & asking if I've caught any fish? I felt like saying, "Not now stupid! Since your in my face, over my line & scared off the fish!" But I'm too polite for that. :lol: :roll:
Unfortunately there are uneducated or people who don't understand the minds & experiences of us fisher people. :idiot:
Regarding dredging of the lake. It will silt up to a point. But not sure how much & if it will ever stop motor boats accessing the main lake since the lake has now got breakwalls built. So at least the lake will keep being flushed with clean water.
Silting typically happens at the end of the strong drifts such as river mouths & the lake drop off.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 41cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#3 Post by Steve R » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:25 am

Depends.

On a huge body of water loaded with structure nobody should be in your face. On crowded water with not a lot of structure it is probably good manners to cheerfully accept people will invade your fishing space. Personally, the latter are the days I avoid as my preference is water devoid of people for kilometres. I generally hang up my gear in January and Easter when too many idiots are on the water.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

#4 Post by Beardypaul » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:33 pm

yep, I do avoid school holidays, and except teamwork, if fishing with other kayakers, let's hope things pick up on the lake now the weather is starting to warm up. hope to be back there soon, I have some soft plastics I want to trie on the whiting.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#5 Post by Freewily » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Soft plastics for whiting? One thing I know is whiting wont bite anything that stops for them to inspect.
I would think about teasing them like I do with poppers. The more whiting that get involved in the chase the more competitive they get. :grin:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 41cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

musty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: My garage. I look at all my tackle and take a swig of my bottle....
Kayaks: Currently yakless.

#6 Post by musty » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:52 am

Hi Paul,

This is something that ALOT of people have zero consideration of. In my opinion, if a boater is there first and my heart is set of fishing that location, then the decent thing to do would be to be pull up outside of his casting range. How far is that? Well it depends on the fisher. Some people can cast a mile especially if flicking plastics or blades however many cant, or dont need to particularly when bait fishing so I often watch from a distance and then position myself far enough away that whatever he was doing prior to me arriving doesn't have to be altered. In big bodies of water such as Botany Bay I will simply move on and find another likely spot.
It's no different changing lanes or entering a round about I say. Get in, do whatever you need to do (including accelerating) provided I dont have to tap my brakes and accommodate you to make it happen. Clearly some people dont give a rats about anyone else as Molinuex Point through summer is a classic example of a carpark. Boats only metres apart with everyone hoping to get a legal kingy and for whats it worth, I dont think the strike rate is worth the grief and wankfactor that one is subjected to.

Interesting that a jet ski fanging up and down a channel could gauge water depth for future dredging. A tinnie putting along up and down a few times would suffice I would have thought... :lek:

Musty
Fishing- ALWAYS a good decision!..

Return to “Estuary Reports”