Blocked fish ladders Napean River

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Aussie54
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney metro, upper Nepean River & South Coast
Kayaks: Native Watercraft Slayer Propel

Re: Blocked fish ladders Napean River

#31 Post by Aussie54 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Hey johnnyk15,
Are you referring to the weir at the southern end of Bents Basin Conservation Area?
If so, I haven't been down that far yet, so no I don't have any news on that one. It's a fair way to pedal/paddle if you you launch at Cobbity weir though, unless Ther are closer launch spots that I am not aware of.
Regards, Aussie54.

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: camden
Kayaks: Old Town Vapour Angler 10

#32 Post by johnnyk15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Yer mate that's the one
Some people have private access down that way closest I can launch from is 100m down from Brownlow weir

bass bash
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: upper nepean river3

#33 Post by bass bash » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Was at Theresa park weir on Saturday still a few rocks in the fish ladder, but there is good flow threw the ladder. So we have fish migration to the upper reaches. :grin: :grin:
Jeff

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler

#34 Post by johnnyk15 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 am

bass bash wrote:Was at Theresa park weir on Saturday still a few rocks in the fish ladder, but there is good flow threw the ladder. So we have fish migration to the upper reaches. :grin: :grin:
Jeff
Thanks for the update mate that's awesome news too bad its not that long and they will be heading back down haha

Aussie54
KFDU Angler

#35 Post by Aussie54 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Been a little over 2 years since last reported blockage.

Went for a paddle this morning at first light, Macquarie Grove bridge to weir back of Camden airport (Sharpes weir I think, could be Brownlow Hill). No wonder didn't catch much around Camden this year. 2nd lock/chamber of the fishway is blocked with what would seem a large chunk of timber and the next chamber is much much lower and has about a 3 ft waterfall. No way the bass could get up that I don't think.

Hope it's cleared before October when they should be migrating back upstream. I think I'll contact Water NSW.

One has to wonder how much maintenance and checking of these fishways they do. As there are lots of them (15 one post states), there's a high chance of bass not being able to migrate all the way to Douglas Park. Might do more outings at Penrith, only got 2 last week, 35cm and one nearly small enough for a fish tank at 15cm. Both released of course. Better than today, zilch, not even a looker on surface and nothing sub-surface either. They may have already started migrated downstream.

Regards, Wayne A.

Beardypaul
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Georges & Woronora Rivers, Southern Highlands
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Minnow, Scanoe

#36 Post by Beardypaul » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm

wow I was surprised to see this old entry of mine. But I can tell you that I was at the Camden weir a week ago and it's looking good for the basses migration downstream for winter.

Aussie54
KFDU Angler

#37 Post by Aussie54 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Hey there Beardypaul,

The blockage I seen and reported to SCA/Water NSW or whatever they call themselves, is at the third or forth chamber from the top. A 3' drop was at the time evident looked like being caused by a large chunk of timber, the water level at this chamber was about the same height as the upper weir level.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the Regional Manager of Water NSW got back to me and said they were going to look at it on 7th May and would let me know what they found.

I did complement him on his response and caring, that he listened to community concerns.

I'll post something when they get back to me or I go and have a look.

Regards, Wayne A.

clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

#38 Post by clutch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 am

Hey folks, any progress/ updated info on the fish ladders on the Upper Nepean? Looking a bit bleak way up at Douglas Park. Are fish being recruited up this far?

Thanks
Clutch
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

Aussie54
KFDU Angler

#39 Post by Aussie54 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey clutch,
Only been out on the river once this season so far, back of Belgenny, only 2 fish one arvo 17cm and 23cm, both released. Haven't checked the ladder back of Camden airport. Might go for a paddle or walk over the weekend. What I have noticed over the recent years is more anglers on the banks float fishing and I am sure they'll keep them if they catch one or three.
Cheers, Wayne A.

johnnyk15
KFDU Angler

#40 Post by johnnyk15 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:13 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the brownlow weir was still blocked been really slow this year either that or the water is to low for them to have come up bents basin

Return to “Freshwater Reports”