Kurwongbah - Bass vs. SX40

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Cubits
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

Kurwongbah - Bass vs. SX40

#1 Post by Cubits » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Last Saturday i couldn't get out to the reef for a dawn session, so decided to hit the lake after breakfast and jig up some schooled bass. It's not my preferred style of fishing for them, but any fishing beats no fishing!

Neat Youtube video!

So rigged up with a trusty combo of gold switchblade and opening night minnowz i headed out over the usual deep spots, only to find the fish a bit sparse. The wind was non-existant, and there was a spot of cloud cover, so i decided to mix things up and have some fun around the lily pads instead.

A while back I'd bought a random purple ecogear sx40, so thought it would be worth a shot if the bass were being shy of big lures. It runs very shallow and casts well, which is perfect for right up against the vegetation.

A few casts in and the bass started up. Nothing was huge, wirh the biggest fish only just threatening 40cm, but they were everywhere!

Every bank i went to was chock full of them, and by the end of the session they were thumping the lure while it sat stationary as i was playing with frogs on my other rod!

I packed it in at midday with the fish still firing, and I'll be back on the weekend with some poppers and my fly rod as that's the only way to possibly top the fun!

RAD
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

Re: Kurwongbah - Bass vs. SX40

#2 Post by RAD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Nice work Cubits,

Good to see them on the chew, Kurwongbah is one place that have been procrastinating about having a fish in but after watching your vid it might be time to grab a SIPS and head out there with the flyrod in the yak and throw some flies around the Lily pads.
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#3 Post by rocketV » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Sounds like a hot bite!
I have not been to Kba for ages, might be time to change that :cool:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Cubits
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Viking Profish GT

#4 Post by Cubits » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Cheers guys, you should definitely get out there, it's a great little pond!

Whenever I'm feeling down after a donut trying something new, the "fish in a barrel" appeal of lake k always turns my mood around. :p

When you do come out, I recommend hitting the northern half of the lake, as the southern end is entirely dominated by camboba weed. Anywhere under 3m deep is practically unfishable.

RAD
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: A River between the Mary and the Tweed guess which one
Kayaks: Mantra Noa x 2. Mantra Mana

#5 Post by RAD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Cubits wrote:Cheers guys, you should definitely get out there, it's a great little pond!

Whenever I'm feeling down after a donut trying something new, the "fish in a barrel" appeal of lake k always turns my mood around. :p

When you do come out, I recommend hitting the northern half of the lake, as the southern end is entirely dominated by camboba weed. Anywhere under 3m deep is practically unfishable.
Thanks for the tip Cubits I will keep that in mind when head out there in the coming weeks, I will be a good opportunity to try out the Purple and Black Fatboy flies that have been sitting in my fly box for ages :wink:
See you on the water.
Rob
Mantra Kayaks Pro Staffer

Return to “Freshwater Reports”