Beast Tilapia

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Beast Tilapia

#1 Post by Ads22 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzf0HtCy4I

The wind has been up again all week, but I gambled on it being calm at sunrise to squeeze in a quick paddle. Thankfully, I was right, and arrived to glassy conditions at Yeppen Lagoon.
YeppenSunrise3_L.jpg
YeppenStill_L.jpg
SunCastYeppen_L.jpg
With Barra season closed, I packed only light rods with the aim of finding some Tilapia, and maybe Tarpon. As usual, there was plenty of tail flicking on the surface, but nothing overly large. The water is still 8-9m deep up the centre of the lagoon, and I worked a deeper area with a soft vibe, working upper and lower water column intermittently looking for Tarpon, without a touch. There are also plenty of lilies growing along the edges, so I moved onto working the edges for Tilapia with a Z-Man Slim Swimz in a prawn colour and it took a while to get my first fish, a small catfish. I then found another three in fairly short time, working along the southern side. As the wind had picked up, I trolled my way back up the lagoon and ducked under a fence wire across the water, pushing closer to the highway bridge. At the end of the lagoon, I turned and drifted, casting as I went. The drift became a bit quick and it was getting harder to work consistently along the edge. However, a Strike Pro Smelta cast up into the shallows finally came up tight on a stronger fish. It swam toward me, meaning a shortened fight, and I was delighted to see a chunky Tilapia surface - target species on the line! It gave me a few sprays, but made it safely into the net. It went 40cm, and while being 1cm short of my PB, it was a fat and healthy fish. It really is a pity we can't eat them - seems wasteful! Still, it was good to have this fish out of the system.
TilNet_L.jpg
TilapiaSelfie_L.jpg
YepTilapia40_L.jpg
I fished on for a while, but much of it became tethering to trees or trolling the length of the lagoon. I came upon two more small catfish, but couldn't entice any more Tilapia. Finally, the wind blew me off the water and I was home before the wife got out of bed and had achieved one of my goals for the day. Hopefully I can make a few more short trips out there to thin out some of these fish!

Cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Beast Tilapia

#2 Post by arpie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Bloody Thumper!! I still haven't seen one in the flesh yet!! Good to see you on the water again!

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Beast Tilapia

#3 Post by Dodge » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 am

Ads22 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

It really is a pity we can't eat them - seems wasteful! Still, it was good to have this fish out of the system.
Adam that's a hefty tilly, and would have been good fun.

Although no eating is the rule, know many that are eating the fillets of good sized fish while still disposing of scraps in a proper way.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Return to “Freshwater Reports”