More school hours Barra with video

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

More school hours Barra with video

#1 Post by Ads22 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXNeDNDyzQ

This Wednesday no work day I had a few chores at home to knock off and figured I’d save the fishing for the weekend. Instead of leaving them until Wednesday morning, I rolled some loads of washing Tuesday evening, then got the lawn done Wednesday morning, which ended in a pool of sweat. Seeing that it was ridiculous going ahead with less urgent yard work in this heat, I decided it would be better to go for a fish.

An unexpected fishing session is always a bonus, but even better when you catch a fish. I had trekked out late Sunday afternoon and not managed to find a fish despite the great conditions. It wasn’t long until I hooked up on the Happy Rock Softies Grub, a small Tarpon quickly taking to the surface and spitting the lure.

I worked over the structure and with no real interest, I did a quick troll up the lagoon, locating some feeding Mullet at the end. Running short on time, I headed straight back without a touch and pulled up at the primary structure in the lagoon. I had started with a plan to try a series of lures, starting with the HRS Grub, then the Jackall Squirrel in Matte Pearl White. I worked a couple of extra lures into the mix with no result then moved on to the 5” Zerek Live Shrimp.

Shortly after changing to the prawn style lure, I hooked up to a small Barra that took me through the structure then took to the air and spat the hook. A bit disappointing, but at least something was eating now!
WWBarraHookup1_L.jpg
I worked the lure slowly amongst the structure and soon hooked up to a good fish. It ran for the clear, then doubled back and dragged be back, running straight between two pylons. It was a few tense moments as I played the line over on pylon then maneuvered my yak out of the predicament as a bystander watched on from up the lagoon. As the fight wore on, he drove closer to watch the proceedings. Soon I got the fish close to the yak, being sure to keep my thumb well clear of the spool. A nice 78cm Barra came aboard and I was quite happy.
WWBarra1-78_L.jpg
WWBarra1-78BoneCompSelfie1_L.jpg
WWBarra1-78Prawn_L.jpg
WWBarra1-78SelfiePrawn_L.jpg
I snapped a couple of pictures and posed for some stills on the video cameras for a local Barra comp, then tagged and released the fish. Getting straight back to it, I flicked back into the structure before moving through to the original side so I could face into the wind and cast so it was easier to direct the yak. As I drifted through, I flicked the lure up between two sets of pylons. I managed another flick along the same line and as I passed the last pylon, I received a solid thud and the line ran for the clear again. I fought the fish for a few moments before the lure again flung clear. That’s what happens running weedless rigs I guess.

It was about 10 minutes before I got another hit, and the next couple of casts I received multiple small taps and finally hooked a fish briefly – I suspect a small catfish.

It was about now that I switched off my head camera for a moment – big mistake for filming purposes. With a back handed flick into the pylons and a long pause to allow the prawn lure to slowly sink, I hopped a couple of times and I was on again. This fish was a smaller but feisty unit that ran again for the clear and straight past my kayak. Using the weight of the fish I turned the yak, wheeling around over 180° quickly. I fought the fish patiently and landed a nice 66cm Barra. It was only when I had landed the fish that I realised my head camera had been off. Another couple of poses and pictures and a tag and release. Just before release, the head camera battery ran flat.
WWBarra2-66_L.jpg
WWBarra2-66BoneCompSelfie2_L.jpg
WWBarra2-66Prawn_L.jpg
20190220_141917_L.jpg
It was time to head off, but as I drifted back toward the structure, I decided to quickly trim the chaffed leader and re-tie the lure to save me effort next trip. I couldn’t help but throw one cast along the pylons as I pushed through and, to my surprise, it went off. This was a bigger and much stronger fish with plenty of power. With my head camera off, but a good fish on the line, I battled to keep the fish away from the standing dead wood. Then, as the fish ran for more open water, I battled one-handedly as I used the other to replace the camera battery. With some effort, and keeping the fish away from structure again, I captured the end of the battle on both cameras as I subdued my biggest fish for the day, and my biggest Barra from the lagoon – a 79cm model.
WWBarra3-79Veritas_L.jpg
WWVeritasBarra79_L.jpg
20190220_142932_L.jpg
WWBarra3-79BoneCompSelfie1_L.jpg
WWBarra3-79Tag_L.jpg
I was now cutting it fine to get to the school on time, so quickly grabbed some shots and then headed for the ute. Happy and almost late, I headed for the school smelling of fish. I couldn’t believe how the session had turned on, three landed and two dropped in about 50 minutes. It was a shame to be leaving while the fish were still biting, but three Barra in a session for me was reward enough for the effort.

Until next time, cheers and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

allane
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Woolgoolga
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Feelfree Nomad, Feelfree Move.

Re: More school hours Barra

#2 Post by allane » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am

Man you're on fire! Some top fishing and pictures. Many a good fish to be had during office hours it seems. May have to have a sniff around up that way on our next Kinchant trip (Oct).
Thanks for sharing, a lot of time and effort goes into putting up these posts, much appreciated.......Al
Yak PBs: Bream 38cm FL, Bass 46cm FL, Estuary Perch 36cm FL, Flathead 61cm, Whiting 43cm, Luderick 41cm, Silver Trevally 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Re: More school hours Barra

#3 Post by Ads22 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 pm

allane wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am
Man you're on fire! Some top fishing and pictures. Many a good fish to be had during office hours it seems. May have to have a sniff around up that way on our next Kinchant trip (Oct).
Thanks for sharing, a lot of time and effort goes into putting up these posts, much appreciated.......Al
Thanks Al. The report is a great way to re-live the trip for me, remind me of how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes a trip starts well and ends quite dull. It's important to remind myself of the joy at the start, or fun moments. When you have a good finish, it's nice to report to give others the kick to get out again after a couple of flat sessions.

Give us a yell when you come through. Kinchant sounds awesome, I have thought of it for a few years now, too. October could be a tricky time as I have a trip to Victoria planned, so would depend on dates, but happy to either point you in a direction (might not be the right one) for a local session or have a paddle with you if timing suits.

I couldn't repeat the effort this afternoon. Had a salty session with sooo much run! Massive tides! Decided to finish out with a quick Woolwash session. One touch with resulted in a Barra scale on my hook point. As I left, I bank fisher was trying to land one into a long net directed by his mate. Fish busted him off, he did his 'nana, much the same as I did last week! I felt for him. I feel he felt a bit embarrassed that I saw him. :lol:
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club

Re: More school hours Barra with video

#4 Post by Ads22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 am

Video now added to original post.
Yak PBs

Return to “Freshwater Reports”