Yellowbarry? Or Golden Barra?? [with video]

Been freshwater fishing lately? Post your trip here.
Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Yellowbarry? Or Golden Barra?? [with video]

#1 Post by Ads22 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Here's the video for anyone wanting something to watch over a cuppa or a beer. The first minute has the highlights for those with a short attention span :wink:
Check out the colours of the fish in the close up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Jlt-1DvNc

This week I headed to a spot that I haven't fished for some time. I often stop in at Raglan Creek to check out the water level on my way past, but this No Work Wednesday I decided to head there to find a Barra, or a Jack if it felt so inclined to come say hi - it is the place I caught my first legal Jack! My family were heading off for Easter while I have the call phone and the wind was less than ideal elsewhere. They left first and as I headed south I found them inspecting the tyres on the side of the road a short distance out of town. These new aged computerised cars try and tell you everything, even when there is nothing wrong. Problem solved (avoided) and I tailed them all the way to the turn off to my fishing spot, waving to my kids in the back window of the car the whole way!

The water here is quite clear, but a little murky compared to previous times at which I have fished here. The level is a little lower due to the dry spell and the weed much thicker at the launch point, but easily managed. Pushing up the creek, there is structure everywhere and it's easy to start casting immediately, but weedless or surface (preferably also weedless) is essential due to the weed content. I found no love close to the launch site, but had fun flying the new drone up and down a few times for practice. The trees are quite tall, blocking a lot of the wind unless it is channeling up the stretch you are on, so it will be a place I venture to again perhaps on windier days!

I had been on the water for about 2 hours when I had decided I would probably look to head towards home and try somewhere else. I was slow rolling a Z-Man Trick Swimz back to the yak when all of a sudden a Golden Barra launched itself from the water, inhaling my lure as it reached my rod tip and tried to escape to the depths, almost taking the tip for a souvenir! It felt like it was in slow motion from the imminent hit, to the take and then realising it was definitely hooked. From then, it was on and after a fairly clean battle I landed a nice Golden Barra. Yep, I wasn't dreaming, it was actually golden. This is my first with this colouring, but there are a couple of waterways in the region with similar colouring in the fish thought to be due to the water and weed content.

Golden Barra Hit_L.jpg
Golden Barra_L.jpg
GoldenBarraSelfie_L.jpg
GoldenBarraSelfie2_L.jpg

The fish was tagged for release and I set about fishing again with renewed vigour, with plans another venue put on the back burner. Eventually I changed to a Jackall Squirrel 79SP in Wakasagi, fishing with sharp jerks and long pauses. It was only five minutes later that I received a massive thump and the fish took off straight under the kayak. This fish felt heavy and I tried to hold it for a moment when the hooks clean pulled out, leaving me a scale as the only evidence of the fish. I had tracked back and fished this mid-creek structure a third time, and first time with the hard body, to get this bite as I was sure there was something hidden in there.

DropBarra1_L.jpg
Disappointed with the loss, I kept on and soon changed to a Zerek Live Shrimp 89mm. I slowed things down incredibly and had this thing drift the 5m or so to the bottom through timber then little hops and let it drift again. It didn't take long with this and I had just refreshed my head cam video when the strike occurred. Another clean fight ensued, despite the abundance of structure nearby and I had a smaller model, albeit still legal sized, in the kayak. This one was very silver and makes me think it either migrated upstream or was relocated in a recent program with a drying lagoon. Another tag and release and it was home.

Barra2_L.jpg
Barra2Selfie2_L.jpg
Barra2Selfie1_L.jpg
Continuing on, I worked the edges further and it was quite some time before I had another hit on the live shrimp cast close to the edge. The fish grabbed hard then swam towards me, gathering some weed before dropping the hook. Bah, again. But to get a hit is always a thrill. And, I was still pretty happy with the effort for the day. My first Barra in this stretch and to double up was even better. Well worth the trip, especially when it was a bit unexpected that I would get out this week!

DropBarra2_L.jpg
I finished the session off with some more drone time before the sun came down and then journeyed back to Rocky to prepare for work Thursday. I look forward to getting some new footage with the new drone, and editing this session, it should be a good one.

For now, feel free to check out the awesome hit from that Golden Barra! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70KPiGCEhM

(if these vids aren't showing in google, you can check the shield top right with the red cross and choose 'load unsafe scripts'. It's probably just as easy to follow the link to YT and check it there in full screen anyway.)

Happy Easter folks and happy fishing!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ads22 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Re: Yellowbarry? Or Golden Barra??

#2 Post by XDCammer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 am

Nice write up Adds. That golden Barra is magnificent, a great catch.
Have a great Easter mate.

Cheers BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

Re: Yellowbarry? Or Golden Barra??

#3 Post by Ads22 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:29 am

XDCammer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 am
Nice write up Adds. That golden Barra is magnificent, a great catch.
Have a great Easter mate.

Cheers BobbyB.
Cheers Bobby! It really was an incredible colour, then the second one being so silver in comparison in the same water. The close up on the video I whacked in the original post shows the gold much clearer.

Ads
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Re: Yellowbarry? Or Golden Barra?? [with video]

#4 Post by XDCammer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Cheers Adds, it's allways good to see your posts.
Kind regards, BobbyB.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

Return to “Freshwater Reports”