Almost caught a hammerhead

Caught something really special or unusual from your kayak then please share it in here
Steve7181
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollongong/camden

Almost caught a hammerhead

#1 Post by Steve7181 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi guys
I had the fright of my life today at port kembla. I have only kayaked a handful of times and was having a productive session with a few rat kings on lure and a bigger one that got away after running around a lobster pot rope. I was having great fun. I caught a good sized slimey and decided to troll it on my overhead when within a few minutes my weighted slimey was on the surface splashing about right next to my kayak. There was a dark figure beneath it that at a very conservative guess was 4+foot long. Its head breached as as it took the bait and scared the life out of me. Luckily the hooks didnt find their mark and i took off to the ramp at record pace. Ive spearfished a few times off the point of the harbour but dont think i will be again. It was a big reminder that we share the water with some serious predators.

Hulla
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Logan Bayside
Kayaks: OK Ultra 4.7 Stealth supalight

Re: Almost caught a hammerhead

#2 Post by Hulla » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 pm

I was admiring the Wollongong area on Saturday from WIN stadium, small surf, clean water and islands close to shore. It all looked great but now you spoil it with sharks :wink:

Dean

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Almost caught a hammerhead

#3 Post by Steve R » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

I've waded into surf chasing fish with larger sharks than that and one day kept fishing standing in water surrounded by small Bronzies. Small sharks feed on fish. None target humans or there'd be no such thing as a popular swimming beach. You don't really need to worry about sharks until they get BIG. Even then mostly its Tigers, Bulls and GWS that very infrequently have bad interactions with humans. For GWS, studies show their jaws aren't strong enough to deal with mammals until they reach about 3 meters. That's part of the reason beach fishos were able to swim baits out using a surfboard at Stockton Beach (NSW) and be fighting a GWS within minutes (fishing for them is now prohibited).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc-Cv9C-E8

[youtube]4bc-Cv9C-E8[/youtube]
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Return to “Catch Of The day”