G'day from Daintree, QLD

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and say "G'day".
PaddleRat
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Far North Queensland
Kayaks: Perception Swing 400

G'day from Daintree, QLD

#1 Post by PaddleRat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm just getting into the sport and so far I'm loving it. I stumbled on the forum when searching for what I could do to my swing to make it fishing friendly (she used to be a hire yak). So I'm in the process of building that out. I figured I should stop gazing in the windows and just come inside for good, so here I am. I hope that I'll be able to contribute something once I get this little project completed.

Thanks.

Pete49
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Spencer Gulf
Kayaks: ebay special 3m and Swing

Re: G'day from Daintree, QLD

#2 Post by Pete49 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Welcome from another swing owner of the best kayak available. And no I'm not biased.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum, mate. Looking forward to seeing your trip reports (with pics! :wink: )

Check out the DIY section if you need help doing anything to your yak .... Swings were one of the first fishing kayaks out there!!
https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Or check out other people's yaks in the Rigged Yaks section to get an idea of what you CAN do to it! :gu:
https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

PaddleRat
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by PaddleRat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 am

Awesome, thanks Pete and Roberta.

My brother has a Seak Mako from Anaconda, and I took that out a couple of times and it got me hooked... I think it was when I pulled in a shark. When I got it up to the yak I was like "now what am I gonna do with it?" it was just great fun. We picked up a pair of swings (the 400 and a tandem) from a local hire company that closed its doors for pretty cheap, and I'm loving it. I see what you mean about them being the best kayak available.

I've only been out in it about 4 times so far, but I've paddled with a pod of dolphins, caught 5 different species of reef fish and been followed into the beach by a croc... Fun times ahead ;)

Thanks.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum PaddleRat.

Top part of the world up there - i have only paddled a few times around Port Douglas but one day hopefully will make if further north.

Where did the croc follow you? - I really don't like crocs!

PaddleRat
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by PaddleRat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Hey SIK!

Sweet, another northerner. Yeah I've only paddled around port the once so far, but as I said I've only been out about a dozen times so far in total.

The croc was about 30km north of Port Douglas is a beach called Wonga. I went out for a bit of a sunset fish and got a nice little GT. I didn't realise the croc was there until I dragging my yak up the sand and happened to flick my torch back over the water.... Low and behold the evil glow of croc eyes we sitting about 50m from me just watching... I was glad I hadn't taken longer to come in. :grin: they are in the area though, so it's not a massive surprise... Next time I'm going close to dark though I'm gonna make sure I have a waterproof headlamp with me...

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#7 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

PaddleRat wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm
The croc was about 30km north of Port Douglas is a beach called Wonga. I went out for a bit of a sunset fish and got a nice little GT. I didn't realise the croc was there until I dragging my yak up the sand and happened to flick my torch back over the water.... Low and behold the evil glow of croc eyes we sitting about 50m from me just watching... I was glad I hadn't taken longer to come in. :grin: they are in the area though, so it's not a massive surprise... Next time I'm going close to dark though I'm gonna make sure I have a waterproof headlamp with me...
Pretty sure we took a horseride along Wonga Beach on my honeymoon years ago. Pretty shallow beach from memory?

Bugger just taking a waterproof headlamp! I'd be steering clear of protected beaches near creeks or inlets - launch and land on more exposed beaches and fish at least few km offshore. Doesn't remove the risk totally but does reduce it.

Return to “New Members”