New Kayak Camping kit

Discuss and share all topics related to camping here.
XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Southern NSW
Kayaks: Adventure Island and Stealth Profisha 525

Re: New Kayak Camping kit

#46 Post by XDCammer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:18 pm

All my new camp gear was fantastic. The Zing stood up to 30knt winds one night and was dry and comfortable for cooking and chill in with all and sundry. The new Hubba Hubba tent was great and the Therm-a-Rest matress was the best nights sleep in the bush I've ever had. Pix of the mattress and GSI micro table still to come, sorry been a bit slack.
The treo chair was good too and matched up well with the GSI micro table.

Now just a few more things to get, 1. some sand pegs from MSR, 2. a Therm-a-Rest pillow (extra large), 3. a collapsing X-mug from Sea To Summit, 4. another large Micro Fibre towel (keep fish nice and cool on the tramps if you keep it wet), 5. a Sealine 80lt dry duffle bag, and that should see me done for light weight kayak camp gear I hope (this is getting very expensive, but, once I have all the gear it will last a lifetime if I look after it).

More to come.

Cheers, XD
Last edited by XDCammer on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Time spent on reconnaissance is time never wasted.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#47 Post by NorthSIKer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 pm

XDCammer wrote:Now just a few more things to get, 1. some sand pegs from MSR,
Search the 'bay for snow pegs and you will get a selection of cheaper chinese ones. Not as good alloy (not a stiff) as MSR, but for sand you won't have an issue.

One of the common Chinese peg brands is called Sundick (I'm not kidding) - just looked and they don't seem to list the brand anymore!

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#48 Post by XDCammer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 am

Thanks NorthSIKer.

Seeker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast

#49 Post by Seeker » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 pm

ive used Toughstake sand/snow stakes before. Great holding power in sand.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#50 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Seeker wrote:ive used Toughstake sand/snow stakes before. Great holding power in sand.
Yeah, they are the best design, but expensive and a bit heavy.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#51 Post by XDCammer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:57 pm

I think I will get the MSR pegs just to keep the set together, plus I get them at a good price too.

Thanks guys, XD

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#52 Post by Snapperpaddy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Trusty tarp, 2 x tent poles, some ropes and pegs, 2 x blokes can sleep under this set up, Usually secure the base of the tarp with heavy rocks, heavier winds set it up low as possible, So far we have survived under this. Easily Fits on the kayak, not flash but seems to work. Self inflating mat sleeping bag and done.
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#53 Post by XDCammer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 pm

This post will always be a work in progress.

An addition is coming shortly. The Blackwolf Turbo Tent is outstanding, but, its more of a 2 person thing to erect and take down.

The Hubba Hubba will be for kayak camping and trekking only.

I need something quick and easy for myself to camp in, straight out of the ute.

I think this will fit the bill. Never slept in one before so, it will be an education.

This technology I witnessed in the services on operations and worked very well (many years ago in Vanimao, New Guinea and the Middle East).

I will incorporate it with the Zing and the Thermorest mat (Sorry I havn't taken shots of the mat, but, I will.) to make it a bit more comfortable.

Pix on Tuesday.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#54 Post by XDCammer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Sorry for the delay, been a bit hectic here. The wife is on a trekking holiday in Japan dodging typhoon Jebi, bears and earth quakes, but got some pix of my new buy anyway.

A Darche AD 1100 inflatable swag with the Cold Mountain Lite Sleeping Bag and a few pix of the Thermorest light weight mattress.
Darche new 2.jpg
Darche new 1.jpg
Darche 4 new.jpg
image5.jpeg
Darche 5 new.jpg
Darche 6 new.jpg
Zing.jpg
image3 (1).jpeg
1.jpeg

The swag is very strong and will bend with any strong pressure applied to the hoops, avoiding breakages to ploes etc. The make and construction is very sound (ripstop poly cotton) and the sides don't cave in like other wide swags. I haven't tried it just yet (-4 here the other night, yeah I know, harden up mate!) but the October trip to do some off shore will be the first and then Danjerra in November.

A 50mm mattress is supplied with is comfy enough but I thought I would incorporate it with a Theromrest mattress as well (I am getting on a bit). On reflection I don't think I need the Thernorest with this swag. The 50mm mattress is good enough.

The Thermorest comes with a small field repair kit and is THE most comfortable inflatable mattress I have ever slept on.

The biggest thing I love about this swag is that it is VERY quick to setup and take down, it packs up EASILY into it's own carry bag without using brute force, and it also comes with a seperate inflate safety valve set at 7 PSI so you can't over inflate the air bags. The Cold Mountain Sleeping Bag is "silk like" lined and thicker, warmer than I expected. I have had 0 Deg bags before and they have been less than satisfactory. I have a -5 deg bag and it is crap, a mil spec Softie Code 3 I bought years ago and it's not as warm as the Cold Mountain Lite. This bag is a gem.

The swag is not cheap, but, I'm getting a bit sick of spending lots of time and effort setting up and packing down, so this was a no brainer for me. This is ideal for my solo trips up and down the coast, perfect for overnighters, free standing ,dry, plenty of room, (yeah NSWSCF members, even Balls fits into it. The big fella loves it!), and it's light too.

This kit will be used in conjunction with my MSR Zing I purchased a while ago. I reckon I'll be right on the money with this setup.

I have no commercial interests with either companies.

Cheers, Bobby B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by XDCammer on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#55 Post by XDCammer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:34 am

Setup at South Durras. We had a southerly front come in with strong winds and the Zing handled it no problems. The swag was very comfy even with the 50mm mattress. The only unpleasent thing was climbing out in the morning and being confronted face first with fresh roo poo, so I've just ordered the Darche stretcher. Should be arriving on Friday.

I'll put some pix up with the AD 1100 on it on Saturday.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48c0.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48c1.jpg
BobbyB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#56 Post by XDCammer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Well good old Toll/Ipec came through early again.

Some Pix.
DSC01702.JPG
DSC01703.JPG
DSC01704.JPG
I'm going to get some zip ties to hook over the ends of the stretcher to the swag just to keep it from blowing off.

I was concerned that the swag was going to be too wide,but, it fits brilliantly.

Going to sleep on it tonight in the back yard.

The other purchase was a Companion collapsable 15lt dish washing tub and drainer.
DSC01705.JPG
DSC01706.JPG
DSC01707.JPG
DSC01708.JPG
This will be my primary traveling (up and down the east coast) kit, as it's so quick to deploy and recover.

One more thing to get is my Sea To Summit pillow, which will be here soon.

A very happy BobbyB.
Last edited by XDCammer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#57 Post by XDCammer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:43 am

Slept in it last night and a great nights sleep on the stretcher. It got down to 4 deg C. So much nicer to be off the ground, specially getting back out in the morning.
Very happy with my purchases.

BobbyB

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Berowra

#58 Post by Salty Dog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:48 am

Some pretty cool stuff here guys - even the kitchen sink! :lol:
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

XDCammer
KFDU 1000 Club

#59 Post by XDCammer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Hey Salty, it's sooooo much easier to move quickly on your own with this gear. If your going for a week or two (or with the boss, she hates yakkin) I'd take the BlackWolf.

But now I'm travlin alone I'll be living quicktime so I'll go with this system.

Got the Adventure Island on a trailer and a 525 Porfisha on the racks with the SUP, so I can do pretty much anything.

Towed by a 2x4, 2.4 petrol. It does what I want it to do. I bought it to be a suburban ute, fire wood, mulch and the like.

It would be nice to have a bit more grunt though.

Just need to get a 4X4 to get into the places I need to go, but, thats coming when I fully retire, maybe a D-Max.

For what I have at the moment, (and I'm very happy with what I've got ) it works great.

BobbyB.

Salty Dog
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Berowra

#60 Post by Salty Dog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 am

Definitely cool. Are you not going to be ostracised by someone or other for having a Hobie & a Stealth? :wink:

Personally, I think it would be good to be able to have a paddle or a sail depending on conditions or what you feel like. Good that you aren't tied to one camp or the other - just enjoying yourself.
Regards, Adam.

Stealth Fisha 550

Return to “Kayak Camping Related Topics”