Tie yourself to your yak so you are not separated from it!

Discussion of safety equipment and use.
arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Tie yourself to your yak so you are not separated from i

#16 Post by arpie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm

Top Job, Andy - I reckon that is what I will be going with as well. Just have to remember to wear my life jacket a bit more! :cool2:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

lantana
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland

#17 Post by lantana » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Good job there Andy,but like Al said he never goes out alone and if thats the case you dont need a leash or any more clutter on deck.
I find myself alone offshore and on large dams quiet often, maybe Iv seen [the old man of the sea] too many times

Eric.
Lantana.

Sicklids
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra / Shoalhaven
Kayaks: - Viking Tempo - Australis 'Squid' - Hobie Pro Angler

#18 Post by Sicklids » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

lantana wrote:Good job there Andy,but like Al said he never goes out alone and if thats the case you dont need a leash or any more clutter on deck.
I find myself alone offshore and on large dams quiet often, maybe Iv seen [the old man of the sea] too many times

Eric.
Thanks mate, but after my horror day last week I will be wearing this no matter what from here on in, let's face it, Safety First is ALWAYS the way to go.
Even when fishing with someone else, where would you be if you both came to greif at the same time :beat:
Besides which, the placing of the leash under the kayak seat means no deck clutter as such.

CHEERS :tong:
Andy
Water Rats Fishing Facebook
Mobile: 0432555952
Aust Reps International Kayak Wars 2013
Yak PBs:
- Dam Bass 42cm - Black Bream 37cm - Yellowfin Bream 43cm -
- Blackfish 35cm - Trevally 44cm - Whiting 40cm - River Bass 40cm
NEW PB - Flathead 87cm

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#19 Post by Biggles » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi Andy,

The guys I fish with offshore are very experienced, we do fall off in lumpy, windy conditions, we do take pics of each others demise (thanks Butts) :tong: but we never underestimate the sea and situational awarness is our greatest safety tool we carry. We can come up with "what if's" all day long, but please don't suggest we are irresponsible for not leashing ourselves to the yak.
Lee2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sicklids
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra / Shoalhaven
Kayaks: - Viking Tempo - Australis 'Squid' - Hobie Pro Angler

#20 Post by Sicklids » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 pm

:md: :sad1: SORRY Biggles I meant no reference to any members here, [I am more than sure that the majority of members here and on other Kayak Forum sites, do in fact take the safety topic seriously] I was merely saying that I am going to be using it from now on.

If anyone was offended by my statement , please be assured that it was not meant to be a blight on anyone, rather a personal statement.

CHEERS :amazed:
Andy
Water Rats Fishing Facebook
Mobile: 0432555952
Aust Reps International Kayak Wars 2013
Yak PBs:
- Dam Bass 42cm - Black Bream 37cm - Yellowfin Bream 43cm -
- Blackfish 35cm - Trevally 44cm - Whiting 40cm - River Bass 40cm
NEW PB - Flathead 87cm

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#21 Post by Biggles » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 pm

All's good mate, it's been a long week :emb:

Al

cruiser
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: geelong
Kayaks: Hobie adventure

#22 Post by cruiser » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi folks

cheers cruiser
Last edited by cruiser on Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Redcliffe

#23 Post by awty » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:44 am

Sicklids wrote: Here's hoping I never have to test it out in real life, but if I do I will atleast have better odds than if it wasn't there I reckon'
Will you? Perhaps you should. Every one should practice self rescue and preferably get taught by a qualified instructor.

I have been knocked off my kayak in open waters by a wave and the last thing I would of wanted is been tethered to my kayak. The force of the wave would have ripped my PFD if it was tethered to that or at least dragged me along with the kayak. Would hate to think what would of happened if I had a bungy cord attached, the thought of a 30+ kgs of kayak springing back to me is a bit scary. As it was I had my PFD correctly fitted (nice and tight) and a cord attached to my paddle, that I could let go of if I had to, the many self rescue practices kicked in and I was able to retrieve my kayak and get back on quickly, then untangle my self from fishing line and retrieve what I could and paddle the f@#k out of there.

Much more important to confidently know how to save your self and to stick to your limitations, than hope you'll be able to if the need arises.
Paul

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

#24 Post by StevenM » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:22 pm

No thanks

no rope to me or my pfd. In my opinion way too dangerous.

I hold onto a paddle, not ride a bike so my paddle is leached to the yak. Like Paul, if I fell I am in trouble quite easy to let go of the paddle.

As far as pfd's go. To each their own choice, but I prefer the let me decide if I want to deploy and not into vests.

Suggest that if you wear a vest then try getting back on your yak, better still turn it over, reright it and then get on with your vest.

Everyone should attempt a self rescue. You may be surprised of your ability or lack there of.

And can say when the water is cold, the first thing to do is gain your composure and not panic at the shock of the cold. Get your breathing right.

paffoh
KFDU Angler

#25 Post by paffoh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Some great food for thought,

Interesting idea and one I may employ if sea kayaking long distances offshore alone, it was one of the first questions I asked my peers when heading offshore for the first time. It was explained thoroughly that the cons easily outweigh any pros. The lack of deck clearance due to items like rod holders should be of massive concern, that and the chance of finding yourself upwind of your laden craft could put you in a compromising position (as mentioned, your kayak could turn into a blunt instrument).

The fear of losing your kayak due to a capsize isnt worth the risk IMO, understanding your own abilities before embarking in conditions that you believe would warrant one is far more important. As suggested try wet exiting and remounting in calm and shallow conditions, encourage a few friends to join you and try the procedure on as many types of kayaks as you can before encouraging the thought of self tethering.
Visit us online @: Import Tackle - Email: sales@importtackle.com - ABN: 758 208 595 29
Our social media @: Import Tackle Facebook, Import Tackle on Twitter and on You Tube.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#26 Post by Freewily » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 pm

OK. I have just finished making mine & will try it out soon.
The Jarvis Walker Tear Strap that I had was used for a Rod leash, but I decided to use it for my safety line. The strap will wrap around my sidekick bar behind my seat and the loop at the end of the rope will go over my Safety vest waist belt. That is, I will thread the buckle through the line loop & buckle the belt.
If I need to disconnect, I will then undo the buckle, pull the line off & re buckle. I am quite sure it will work no Probs. :ha:
Kayak Tether.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

stonefish77
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast

#27 Post by stonefish77 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 am

G'day all

Lots of good thoughts there. I'm about to purchase my first yak and of all the things I've been thinking of putting on it a safety line was the last thing on my mind. I think I'll definately be making up some sort of leash for my yak, I'm not a bad swimmer but also not a great one and chasing a free floating kayak down wind and current would be a pretty tough job I'd imagine.

Cheers guys.

Stoney.
Stoney
Yak PBs
Flathead - 75cm (1/2oz Evergreen Littlemax Blade, Gold)
Bream - 24cm (Bread)
Estuary Perch - 37cm (75mm Squidgy Flick Bait, Evil Minnow)
Trevally - 40cm (100mm Squidgy Shad, Flash Prawn)
Tailor - 29cm (3" Gulp Swimming Mullet, Banana Prawn)

Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

#28 Post by Gazzaguru » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 pm

I like to keep yaks simple and not a big fan of having dozens of leashes laying around. I had an experience a few years ago where I upturned in a lake and nearly drowned. My shirt had got caught up in the adjustment straps of the hobie seat. I could not free myself under the yak and luckily I had a knife on me and I slashed my shirt away. I was probably under for twenty seconds and it felt like 3 mins with panic setting in immediately. For that reason alone, I would never clip a safety lanyard onto myself. I was in a fast current and yes my yak finished up hundreds of metres away. Fortunately I caught up with it after a half hour of swimming. And I agree with Steven M that it can be pretty near impossible to upright an upside down kayak when you are physically knackered and in a bit of shock too I suppose. It took me 3 attempts. After this, I always keep rod leashes well away from my body and I always tuck my shirts in so no body leash for myself but everyone to their own thing. I always have a sharp pocket knife on me at all times though. Cheers Gaz.
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.

Freewily
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Dagger Drifter, Hobie Revolution

#29 Post by Freewily » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder to have a knife handy Gazza. I am still wondering weather to have a knife strapped to my lower leg. But in summer it rubbed the sun block off & I got sunburnt. Ok in Winter over water proof pants. But I have just thought of a fold up knife I got a while ago that may go into my vest pocket.
Maybe I will keep my leash in handy reach & attach it when the potential of danger is present like a big chance of seperation in strong winds. I can also use it for throwing someone a line if needed. Will have to keep it in mind on my next few outings to work this one out for myself. :baf:
YAK P.B. Salmon 60cm, Flathead 60cm, Trevally 42cm, Carp 38cm, Bream 40cm, Luderick 42cm, Tarwhine 30cm,
Blue Morwong 48cm, Mullet 38cm, Bass 39cm, Garfish 34cm, Leatherjacket 27cm, Flounder 28cm, Snapper 50cm, Bonito 60cm, Whiting 38cm, Tailor 52cm, LongTom 66cm.

If this was my job I'd Love It!!

Monty
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Moreton Bay Queensland
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.7 and 4.3

#30 Post by Monty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:15 pm

I had often wondered what to do if separated in windy or high current conditions.
Thanks!
Monty

Return to “Safety”